Home

Give me my defense back EA.

This is a discussion on Give me my defense back EA. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 03:20 AM   #25
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Give me my defense back EA.

"You're reaching if you think 2k was gonna develop APF and an NCAA game at the same time."

They wouldn't have tried to make both... Which is why I said "focused their energies".

The same could be said for EA, for that matter. If they concentrated on one football game (edit: and dropped their policy of trying to get every granny and 7 year old girl into Madden) it would likely be a lot better.

"If we're playing the "what if game" you're gonna tell me that a college football game was going to be developed by 2k?"

As I understand it, they couldn't have done that if they wanted... And my guess is that a 2K NCAA game would've done better than APF... Especially if it was the only football game they were working on.

"...exclusivity as the reason for a weaker NCAA franchise on next gen is a lame sour grapes argument."

It's not THE reason... But surely it has at least some influence on the product we're getting.

"EA is dumbing down NCAA as part of their overall marketing strategy to expand the casual gamer market for all their titles. Look at Wii Family play and that rediculous Madden commercial with the little girl that makes me cringe the 100 times a day I see it on TV."

Their stranglehold on the market allows them to do this. If 2K Sports were in better shape, and not so hurt by the loss of the NFL, I really don't think EA would be even attempting this nonsense.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 08-17-2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: EDITS IN RED
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 34

I hear you AA, and in all honesty, I really do not know how much longer I can tolerate this.

I'm seriously thinking of trading this game in and playing the Wii version. I know that it will at least play a sensible game of football on the field., and I will get plenty of dynasty mode burn out of it. IF it was as full as the madden version I would ahve done it on release date.

I just do not know how much the 2nd patch is going to fix, because if your front 4 in a 4-3 defense, or your front 3, and rush LBs in a 3-4 set arent going to factor..it simply isnt going to matter.

In online games, it is my DBs that are getting the sacks and creating the pressure.

I want my player's ability to matter. I will be completely satisfied if my CB cant cover a slant because he simply isnt good enough to do it.

I will be completely pissed off, if he cant cover a slant route because he simply WONT do it. EA seems to not understand the difference between these 2 things.

In online dynasty, my CB's are leading my team in sacks..OS legends sliders.

off line dynasty, I am in game #7 and I think my team my down lineman may have 6 tackles for a loss all season combined.

I'm just upset that a decision was made to design the game this way.

I'm not a EA conspiracy nut, or anything like that.

I believe that a sports game plays on the field or court exactly the way the developers intended it to play.

This is how they wanted this game to play, and a group of someones along the line said "alright, great idea".

That's the part that angers me, because I love this sport and hate what I see here.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 08-17-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
MVP

bvb24's Arena

OVR: 12

Offensive tackle play is the problem for DEs. On a pass play the tackle has no idea where the QB is behind him, he only knows where the QB is supposed to be. So when a user drops 10 yards on a slant play that should be a 3 step drop the DE should be killing the QB because the tackle is going to set his feet to block for the 3 step drop. And if a player rolls out as soon as he snaps the ball on a play that's not a designed rollout, SACK. No question. You're offensive line doesn't know you're rolling out. They shouldn't be blocking for it.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb24
Offensive tackle play is the problem for DEs. On a pass play the tackle has no idea where the QB is behind him, he only knows where the QB is supposed to be. So when a user drops 10 yards on a slant play that should be a 3 step drop the DE should be killing the QB because the tackle is going to set his feet to block for the 3 step drop. And if a player rolls out as soon as he snaps the ball on a play that's not a designed rollout, SACK. No question. You're offensive line doesn't know you're rolling out. They shouldn't be blocking for it.

EXCELLENT point. Exactly. IF a play is designed for 3 steps and release..if the qb holds the ball longer or drops back further..protection is going to start to break down.

The OLs are going to be thinking, "why the hell does my qb still have the ball?

..I dont know, i feel like point this stuff out is just futile. I really do not beleive that EA listens to us.

We are niche group, and a small one at that. The vast majority of gamers simply do not care about these things, and the product that we get reflects that.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm going to harp on this because it seems like I'm the only one harping on it. Part of killing robo QB is killing robo WR. Receivers know immediately if a pass is off target and no matter how hard they are running, they stop on a dime and go to the ball. You could kill robo QB but if you don't kill robo WR too, you won't have fixed the problem 100%.

You can actually get the cpu qb to play somewhat realistically this year with low qba + low wrc making the qb throw off target, but the receivers adjust to nearly all bad passes and get to the ball. If those passes would fall to the ground for incompletes, completion % would drop 5 to 10 points or more I'd guess.

Of course that leaves out the robo QB issues of dinking and dunking too well and not going deep.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #30
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
And please...don't make my blitzers back up 5 yards off the line every single time. Every single time. If I'm bringing the heat...I want the ability to stick that safety or that blitzing linebacker RIGHT UP ON THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE ready to sprint his azz off towards the QB.
Just a heads up AA, you can do this in the game. Pre-snap just hit Y for the coverage audibles and then move the left stick to the left to show blitz. This should bring your LB's right up on the line as well as the safeties..
Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #31
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
EXCELLENT point. Exactly. IF a play is designed for 3 steps and release..if the qb holds the ball longer or drops back further..protection is going to start to break down.

The OLs are going to be thinking, "why the hell does my qb still have the ball?

..I dont know, i feel like point this stuff out is just futile. I really do not beleive that EA listens to us.

We are niche group, and a small one at that. The vast majority of gamers simply do not care about these things, and the product that we get reflects that.
I dont think we're a niche group so to speak, simply b/c the game has been right in the past. I just think the team involved with this game made a terrible decision, and once they got too far in, they couldn't get out. So they just resorted to slowing down your defensive players, making them stupider, and making the overall defense useless to create "wide open gameplay", and thn lied to all of us about the way it was implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
I'm going to harp on this because it seems like I'm the only one harping on it. Part of killing robo QB is killing robo WR. Receivers know immediately if a pass is off target and no matter how hard they are running, they stop on a dime and go to the ball. You could kill robo QB but if you don't kill robo WR too, you won't have fixed the problem 100%.

You can actually get the cpu qb to play somewhat realistically this year with low qba + low wrc making the qb throw off target, but the receivers adjust to nearly all bad passes and get to the ball. If those passes would fall to the ground for incompletes, completion % would drop 5 to 10 points or more I'd guess.

Of course that leaves out the robo QB issues of dinking and dunking too well and not going deep.
I remember on 04, if I threw a pass too hard, it would just go past the receiver and fall on the ground, or go out of bounds, whereas NOW, the receiver will immediately speed-warp into the ball to prevent it from falling. Makes me feel cheap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #32
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

I just thought I'd post this for the random "it's just a game and the point is to have fun" crowd.....

I was trying to post this in the Madden forum but, while I was typing the thread was locked. It does apply to NCAA though.

The programming laziness is the absolute refusal to fix issues that have plagued Madden and NCAA for years! Suction blocking, boring, predictable, and downright awful CPU play calling are just a couple of examples.

Add this to the fact that they add Mascot games, Ring BS, Cheerleaders, and improved dusk lighting instead of fixing the gameplay is annoying as hell. It's seems as if every year they try to mask the game play flaws that have been around forever by adding meaningless "features" and unnecessary aesthetic changes.

Please tell me WHY Super Sim is a part of this nonsense? It has NEVER worked. EVER. It's a great idea but, who in the hell thinks back to back running plays take a total of 10 seconds off the clock? It's broken and has been since it was implemented last year. Why wasn't it fixed? Also, why in the hell do the CPU sliders NOT work?!?! W....T...F

Do I have "fun" with the games? At times yes. I think it's great that a few folks can overlook the issues and just "have fun". Quite frankly though, I'm damn sick and tired of the LAZY excuse thrown out there by the "fun" crowd of "it's just a game" and "no game is perfect", or "we can't just program a game for hardcore gamers". This is complete BS. Those excuses do NOT excuse the piss poor programming of ROBO QB, player ratings that mean absolutely nothing, AWFUL pursuit angles, terrible kicking game, the RARE missed FG, and practically non existent penalties.

What about the silly statistical errors that have been in the game FOREVER? Why have they NOT been fixed? Answer? Lazy programming and refusal to pay attention to detail. This is what happens with a lack of competition. Details get conveniently overlooked.

I guess my main frustration is that both Madden and NCAA are soooo close to being great games. It's just takes a little more effort and attention to detail to fix a few of these things that I mentioned. NO ONE expects a perfect game but, is it unrealistic to expect broken features and glitches that have plagued both games for years to be fixed? I don't think so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »