Home

Who Prefers the PS2 Version Over the Next Gen Versions?

This is a discussion on Who Prefers the PS2 Version Over the Next Gen Versions? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
MVP

koebner's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Who Prefers the PS2 Version Over the Next Gen Versions?

The pursuit angles are better for 09 PS2,but still not fixed. FGs' are still automatic. I played NCAA on Xbox for the last several years and it is a step back going to PS2,graphically.The grass textures are terrible,there is rampant clipping,and the cut scenes are amateurish.I'm experiencing some nasty slowdown in the red zones,too. Menu navigation and scrolling through players is also slow. Why EA never had progressive scan support for their football titles is beyond me.

The deep ball thing is definitely a problem with next-gen versions,as you can play man/press the entire game.CPU play calling can be suspect,as well. That being said,the final evaluation must come after patch 2. Although patch 1 only addressed roster bugs,I do believe some aspects of gameplay changed,chiefly guys sashaying out of bounds,which I never see,now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #26
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

I chose the PS2 version over the PS3 version as soon as I played NCAA 08 (PS3) last year. Ugh, knowing EA I knew there wouldn't be any upgrades so I didn't even think about purchasing the "next gen" version this year. I'm glad I saved twenty bucks. People still call me crazy for not getting the "better" version but they only say that because it looks oh so fancy and they know nothing about gameplay.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

I like the Xbox version of NCAA 07 far more than NCAA 09 for the 360. Next-gen football just hasn't done it for me and it's a shame...

I still have fun with 07 though!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 37

I haven't played the ps2 version since 07. Like many I rushed out and bought a 360 thinking that the game was the same... boy oh boy was I wrong. NCAA 09 on 360 is alright but without even playing it I would take NCAA football on lat gen 10 out of 10 times before I would a next gen.

COME ON EA~ PORT THE LAST GEN VERSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #29
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
I haven't played the ps2 version since 07. Like many I rushed out and bought a 360 thinking that the game was the same... boy oh boy was I wrong. NCAA 09 on 360 is alright but without even playing it I would take NCAA football on lat gen 10 out of 10 times before I would a next gen.

COME ON EA~ PORT THE LAST GEN VERSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen, give us the same game just with better graphics and I think a lot of us would be very happy.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 34

You know what? I rented NCAA 09 for the wii, and it was just as I expected,

Superior ON THE FIELD gameplay across the board.

I lost a tough game using my Irish to Michigan 22-16. 8 minute quarters, all american difficulty, default sliders.

Notre Dame's offense was suspect..just as it should be. I scored a big TD on an end around to Golden Tate and another one off a INT runback inside the 10. My other score came off a safety.

Michigans O wasnt anything to right home about either. Their 77 overall redshirt freshman QB played like one. They gave me a healthy dose of their RB..he had 24 carries.

Best thing of all? They ran out of the spread offense and I did not see ONE QB keeper with their 65 speed QB.

I'm not surprised, as the wii madden has superior gameplay AI then the 360/ps3.

There are some odd quirks to the wii version of NCAA..the marching bands will all of a sudden randomly conk out if the cpu scores on a field goal for example.

Gonna have to accept stadiums on the ugly side, but AI wise, the game is as tight as a drum.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #31
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmo9999
I chose the PS2 version over the PS3 version as soon as I played NCAA 08 (PS3) last year. Ugh, knowing EA I knew there wouldn't be any upgrades so I didn't even think about purchasing the "next gen" version this year. I'm glad I saved twenty bucks. People still call me crazy for not getting the "better" version but they only say that because it looks oh so fancy and they know nothing about gameplay.
It seems like all EA is worried about with their next generation football games now is the stupid gimmicky stuff and how great the game looks. I would be more than happy to settle for subpar graphics if the game actually played like a football game is supposed to and was fun. They are too wrapped up in those pointless gimmick things instead of trying to capture the authentic feel of college football. Aside from 10 year old kids, who in the hell wants to be able to play games where the two teams combined score 120 points? Also, do we really need the stupid TD celebrations with the mascot that EA thinks is so cool? If "it's in the game" as they suggest, the referee should throw a flag every time you do one of those celebrations because you never see that crap in college football. The PS2 version might not be as pretty, but it definitely is more fun and the computer actually calls a decent game for the most part, while playing to their abilities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #32
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Right one man....

just look at this one feature they have in NCAA 09 on the PS2, that is not in the next gen consoles..

PREPARE FOR THE BIG GAME

See what may or may not work on Saturday by practicing against an opponent's playbook during the week. Fine-tune up to 10 plays on offense in hope of having a greater chance of success when playing against live competition, or practice with Crowd Noise in an effort to replicate the game day atmosphere.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »