Home

Past NCAA Football Games.....Refresh My Memory Here

This is a discussion on Past NCAA Football Games.....Refresh My Memory Here within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Past NCAA Football Games.....Refresh My Memory Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
If you are like me and sell your copy of NCAA right before the new version comes out, at least the old NCAA are cheap. Most of them in fact are part of the 50% used ps2/xbox game sale right now. I was over there today on my lunch break and I know I saw 03, 04, and 05 over there for $.99 each which makes them $.50 each lol. Plus, if you have an Edge card you can buy them for an extra 10%. So you could buy 03, 04, and 05 for a grand total of $1.49 plus tax.

If you want 06 that is gonna cost you though, $1.49+tax LOL.
Wow......that $1.49 + tax would be a tough decision for me considering I just shelled out money for the PS3 and 360 versions of Madden last week. LOL Actually, I think I still have 06 at home but I'm pretty sure that I got rid of 03, 04, and 05. I'll have to check this evening. I bought NFL 2K5 for $0.50 a few weeks ago at EB Games.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

The games on Xbox/PS2 were fun but anyone is kidding themselves if they think the game was realistic. I really should just cut-n-paste the same ol schpiel about last-gen EA football games because I've had about 50 topics I coulda said the same thing in.

Long story short, '02-'04 were glitch-free and had no gimmicks but were way too easy, '05-'08 were filled with glitches and out of control gimmicks (impact player, HFA, momentum meter, etc).

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

I wish I still had 07.. That was the game I played the most. 05, 06, and 07. For some reason, 08 didn't do it for me.

Don't get me started on Last-gen vs. this gen.. There shouldn't even be a thread discussing this because the next-gen should stand right up and punch last-gen in the face. That has not happened, not at all.

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 34

One thing I really enjoyed in the last gen versions was the pre game cut scenes.

You would get a shot of the stadium with the road and home team team coming out, your QB would lead your team out onto the field. "The U" even had their signature smoke coming out of the tunnel

They would then show your key player warming up, with his stat overlay, and Kirk Herbstriet would do a little 10 second bio on him.

It gave the game that ESPN Gameday feel, and this is the biggest thing that has been lost in next gen besides gameplay: it gave the game PERSONALITY.

Playing the Wii version and beating the Gators on their field with the Vols reminded me of another: My players dancing around the field after pulling the upset, and then showing Tim Tebow on a knee with his head in his hands, shaking his head.

Another thing I liked was on 05, when you scored, got a sack, made a Int or a field goal..if you chose to trigger a celebration animation, you actually got called or a unsportsman like conduct penalty every now and then.

At the rate we are going, we probably wont see any of these things, fused with generally solid gameplay until NCAA 2012 or so.

I could write more, but doing so would only get me mad, remembering all of the things we USED to have, that we have now had ripped away from us.

Yes, I remember the carnival act elements of those days as well..but I do not recall pulling my hair out as much over those games, as I am now.

Progress. Isnt it wonderful? Isnt it marvelous?

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 08-20-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

Long story short, '02-'04 were glitch-free and had no gimmicks but were way too easy, '05-'08 were filled with glitches and out of control gimmicks (impact player, HFA, momentum meter, etc).
Gimmicks or not, those are good features by the NCAA team and has improved the game for the better imo.

Maybe implementation could've been better though.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #22
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
While I loved some past football games, I think some of you guys are excusing some of their flaws far easier than the current next gen versions. We paid a lot of money for these systems and people had very high expectations that weren't met. Paying $3 for an old game makes it much easier to love.
Besides the fact that the sliders are broken on NCAA 09, which hurts our ability to tailor the game to our liking (in my case I want to boost CPU run game w/o making it too easy for HUM... and I don't want to keep switching sliders between possessions).

My #1 issue is the CPU play calling on NCAA 09. IMO, it's much worse than it is on PS2 version. I felt that on the PS2, you could really tell the difference between the teams because the play calling was much better and more aligned with what the teams actually did in real life. I think the CPU also plays a better game on the PS2... no ghost jukes, fast Qb's are good running option, the CPU will also go deep on you at any time (definitely more than 1-2 times a game in the PS3) and will keep your defense honest. The bottom line for me is the game just feels more balanced on the PS2.

*my observations are based on NCAA 06 v. NCAA 09
Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
While I loved some past football games, I think some of you guys are excusing some of their flaws far easier than the current next gen versions. We paid a lot of money for these systems and people had very high expectations that weren't met. Paying $3 for an old game makes it much easier to love.

Oh yeah of course.

that's what nostalgia does. I loved those games. Heck, I still remember specific PLAYERS that I recruited that I enjoyed.

its like your 1st highschool girlfriend, or your 1st car.

Neither was as great at the time as you remember, but you would never dream of bad mouthing either of them.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #24
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Too bad we cant get an "all star version" or a best of version, with all the best features and gameplay from year one to now. I still maintain if they take this years game, and work solely on gameplay for 80% of the cycle, and then add in some presentation and dynasty tweaks, this game (NCAA 2010) would be awesome. The elements are in place for alot of different parts, but we need to stop doing this "Let's add a new feature and get it 75% done or where it should be" and get everything thats in there to 100% first.

The easiest question is, do you want a game with solid 100% complete gameplay and dynasty with minimal features (i.e. jump the snap, dynamic attendance etc) or do you want a game where each feature is 75% done including gameplay. I'd rather have a game that plays great with not as many frills.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »