Home

A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
Playcalling and pursuit angles are the two biggest problems with this game and, if EA fixes them, NCAA 2010 will be amazing.
wish this was true... we make statements like this every year. what you forget is next year's broken features that will cause major issues because the game simply wont be balanced. then next year we will say, "if they just fix X game will be awesome!"
Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
I swear,

Half of the problems with this game could be fixed with some seriously dedicated time to improving the Human vs CPU experience via a thorough and complex CPU AI playcalling system.

From what I can gather at most Community days with customers, EA has almost the entire session be Human vs Human games...am I correct in this?
I never play games online, never have and don't ever plan on it either. I actually avoid games that are focused more on online play and the single player campaign is neglected. What I am worried about is that EA seems to feel that online gaming is the future and as such are focusing more on the online elements of games. Peter Moore recently said this in an interview that I read (I hope EA gets rid of him, he is a cancer to any company he is with).

For someone like myself that will only ever play NCAA Fooball in offline Dynasty mode vs the cpu I am scared that in five years or whenever, we either won't have an offline mode vs the cpu or it will be a shell of a feature.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

I agree with this AA. Definatly necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 34

AA, I swear when I read your posts, we share the same mind lol.

Either that or you are just very good at vocalizing what a lot of us think.

Yeah, this is a problem. What also drives me bonkers is:

Idiot Option QB: The CPU simply cannot run the spread option properly, it just cannnot do it.

And Idiot CPU Defensive Coordinator. Why is CPU Defensive Coordinator in love with Corner Back Blitzes? These are 95% of the blitzes that the CPU runs.

I do not know if this was a fluke or not, it was just one game..but trying to establish my own set of All American Sliders, I swear I actually got the Gators to run their spread option, somewhat sensibly.

Take A look:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/266418

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/266494

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/266471

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/266505

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/266477

Want to play a game vs WVU just to see if my resutls werent a fluke.

but yeah, this is a mjor frustration for me. its ridiculous that I need 2 of the same game on 2 platforms to give me everything that I want to have in ONE game
Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Rookie

BuckeyesFan21's Arena

OVR: 3

I agree completely. Good post.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Completely agree. The CPU playcalling has annoyed me more than anything else in the game. Just for example in my last game using Mizzou against Florida Alantic the CPU decided to play press one on one coverage against Jeremy Maclin with no help over the top for 90% of the game. I put up 91 points and 9 tds passes simply because the cpu wouldn't adjust their playcalling. You think the CPU would be smart enough not to try to match up on press coverage against Maclin with a slow cb over and over again.

Also you didn't list this but the CPU qb running ai needs to be improved because even when the cpu qb is a fast qb they look clueless running the option. They don't hit the hole at all. In my last game for example the qb runs the option on a play I blitzed on the outside, the middle is wide open but the cpu qb's decides to make a left turn into my blitzers, then proceeds to turn around and run backwards to the right for a 10 yard loss. It's seems the qb ai on the option is to always try to pitch the ball instead of hitting a hole when it's there.

ahhh..so that explains it..i ws wondering how you put up 90 usign my slider set lol.

Yeah..no amount of sliders can fix faulty AI play calling
Old 08-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Thank you for the thread, this is THE #1 problem with the game for me. CPU play calling was 100x better on PS2/XBOX. I was expecting it to be even better on PS3/360. What happened?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Add the 2 minute drill to the list.

Right now what the CPU does in clock management and play calling when they are running the 2 minute drill is a disgrace to next gen football.

For starters the CPU calls the 'fake spike' pass way too often, and when they do call it, it takes them forever to get to the line and change formation before they snap the ball and it kills a lot of time off the clock.

They also do a terrible job of using their timeouts. I dont know how many times I see the CPU complete a pass with 12 seconds or so left on the clock, and instead of calling a timeout they try and rush to the line and wont call the timeout until the 5 second mark.

And since the CPU almost never throws deep this year, when I am playing prevent against a hail mary the CPU will simply dump the ball off under coverage and lose the game because they refuse to throw deep even when its to win/tie the game.

I hear people this year saying this game was a few things away from being near perfect, but I really think its quite the opposite. The OL/DL play, CPU playcalling, and sliders all need to be overhauled before this series should recieve any serious praise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »