Home

Feel your game is scripted (against you)?

This is a discussion on Feel your game is scripted (against you)? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Feel your game is scripted (against you)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
I thought this thread would be more about those games where no matter what you do, you're going to lose by 35 and turn the ball over 9 or 10 times...the AI can do whatever it wants basically. I had a stretch of 3 out of 4 games where I had or took a lead in the last minute and the AI just marches down the field to win it with 10 seconds left. It's predictable, and almost not even annoying anymore, it's just so obvious it's coming. I purposely try not to score on some plays just so I can either run more time off or just hold for a FG on the last play. More annoying than these 80 yard drives in 35 seconds with no timeouts used to win the game in the last second is the games where you have no chance and it makes it really obvious. The AI just INTs you on every pass because they have 3 guys on every receiver, you fumble the ball every 5th running play or so. And as if they first 8 turnovers weren't enough for them to make their point, you fumble on the last play of the game and it gets run in...or a game I was down 38-7 and had turned it over 10 times, the AI on the last play of the game throws a TD to the FB who breaks 3-4 tackles...then every once in a while I get lucky and some 90 rated QB just throws ducks the whole game and they AI struggles to score once. It's dumb. Ratings dont even matter, just depends on what mood the AI is in.
This reminds me of a game in Madden 08 I was playing with a friend. We were messing around in a Chiefs' Franchise and it was one of the DUMBEST games I have ever played, and I think we finished it just to see how it would end.

Larry FREAKIN Johnson literally fumbled on each of his fist 8 carries! Not a joke, our first 8 possessions of the game he fumbled on every single running attempt he had. He was like 8 attempts for 25 yards and 8 fumbles. By the 3rd or 4th we knew **** was ****ed, so we started passing the ball. That works fine, we march up the field and few times and score a few touchdowns before halftime (forget the score at half) while using our back-up RB with Johnson on the bench. What happens in the 2nd half? First 4 passes are picked, 1 is tipped and 1 is suction-to-the-DB and 2 are LB-leaping-lol-Micheal-Jordan plays. We decide to go back to the run, our back-up is doing okay so we give him the ball, but before we can even do it we fumble on a kick-off ... 3 times in a row. They scored, kicked it to us, fumble for a touchdown ... 3 times in a row ... on the 4th we just ran out of bounds at the 20.

I forget the score or the exact turnovers by the time it was over, but turnovers was definitely close to 20 and it was seriously the most broken-*** AI I've ever seen. It was funny to watch because it's an extreme you rarely see, but the potential for scripting like that to even happen in a game still makes me laugh.

Edit: All fumbles were using cover ball stuff, no sprint, no skill stick.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 19

Yeah it's weird. In my first game Vs Washington...I blew them out 59-0...But when I played Utah State the next week...I only won 24-20.

Something weird is up with the AI.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

not once, have I ever felt that the game was scripted in any shape or form. This is sports. Sometimes the unthinkable, unimaginable, and/or OMG I can't believe that just happened moments occur. Somtimes you can do no wrong, other times you can do no right, but all the time, you're just one big play away from swinging the pendalum(sp?) the other way.

BTW, doctorhay, nice post.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 08-26-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 9

It may have been a nice post, but clearly almost no one is actually reading it before they post. I wanted people to see that there may be something they can do to stop the CPU from marching on that game-winning drive, or intercepting you to kill the game. It looks like people are ignoring what I said and just bashing the 'scripted' feeling.

I guess that's what I get for giving it a provocative title.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

The answer is no.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
The answer is no.
Its not about that. Its about the coaching strategy.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhay53
It may have been a nice post, but clearly almost no one is actually reading it before they post. I wanted people to see that there may be something they can do to stop the CPU from marching on that game-winning drive, or intercepting you to kill the game. It looks like people are ignoring what I said and just bashing the 'scripted' feeling.

I guess that's what I get for giving it a provocative title.
I read it. But seriously, do you think it matters what you call? Say you blitz, and get some pressure...you think you've done something good, you should either get a sack, force a hurried throw or forced him to scramble...except there's robo QB. There's a 70% chance that he will twist, throw off his backfoot, and hit a wide open WR 20 yards downfield. There's a 30% chance you get a sack or force an incompletion. The AI can do what it wants. You're penalized for getting pressure far more often than you're rewarded, so what did it matter what you called? if you got some defensive pressure and you just triggered robo-QB...if you stick to a zone, they'll pick that apart with virtually no trouble because LB speed is sabotaged after the snap...if you play man, your guys are 10 yards off their defender because they're completely dumb. I'll believe the 2nd patch fixes the tighter coverage if we ever actually get the 2nd patch. You can do everything right, and it doesn't matter if the AI wants to score or get a 1st. You can have a play defended perfectly, and they'll just throw a dumpoff and break 2 tackles to get a 1st if that's what it wants to do. The game is very much scripted before it begins if you ask me, and 95% of the time, I think the game is fixed to be close. I've seen some of the dumbest things imaginable happen if I get 2 scores ahead of the AI. I got up 14 on UConn with 7 seconds left in the half once. They ran the kick to their 33 with 2 seconds left. The UConn QB, on the last play of the half, throws the ball 75 yards in the air OVER my Prevent D for a TD. I've made exactly 2 defensive stops ever when up 2 scores, and both times...I fumbled on my first offensive play. In a human vs AI game, we don't have that much control. If the AI doesnt want you to score, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. They can throw a holding flag whenever they feel like it, you can get a guy wide open and he'll just drop it, they can perfectly defend every play and make you throw into double coverage or just sack you. I've had some ridiculous occurences where I've been called for penalties 3 plays in a row, or I've had a guy relatively open and just drop the ball multiple plays in a row. It's entirely up to the AI if you do anything or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
I read it. But seriously, do you think it matters what you call? Say you blitz, and get some pressure...you think you've done something good, you should either get a sack, force a hurried throw or forced him to scramble...except there's robo QB. There's a 70% chance that he will twist, throw off his backfoot, and hit a wide open WR 20 yards downfield. There's a 30% chance you get a sack or force an incompletion. The AI can do what it wants. You're penalized for getting pressure far more often than you're rewarded, so what did it matter what you called? if you got some defensive pressure and you just triggered robo-QB...if you stick to a zone, they'll pick that apart with virtually no trouble because LB speed is sabotaged after the snap...if you play man, your guys are 10 yards off their defender because they're completely dumb. I'll believe the 2nd patch fixes the tighter coverage if we ever actually get the 2nd patch. You can do everything right, and it doesn't matter if the AI wants to score or get a 1st. You can have a play defended perfectly, and they'll just throw a dumpoff and break 2 tackles to get a 1st if that's what it wants to do. The game is very much scripted before it begins if you ask me, and 95% of the time, I think the game is fixed to be close. I've seen some of the dumbest things imaginable happen if I get 2 scores ahead of the AI. I got up 14 on UConn with 7 seconds left in the half once. They ran the kick to their 33 with 2 seconds left. The UConn QB, on the last play of the half, throws the ball 75 yards in the air OVER my Prevent D for a TD. I've made exactly 2 defensive stops ever when up 2 scores, and both times...I fumbled on my first offensive play. In a human vs AI game, we don't have that much control. If the AI doesnt want you to score, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. They can throw a holding flag whenever they feel like it, you can get a guy wide open and he'll just drop it, they can perfectly defend every play and make you throw into double coverage or just sack you. I've had some ridiculous occurences where I've been called for penalties 3 plays in a row, or I've had a guy relatively open and just drop the ball multiple plays in a row. It's entirely up to the AI if you do anything or not.
I've never seen it, I'm sorry. In my experience it does matter what you do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »