Home

Why is the playcalling AI so bad?

This is a discussion on Why is the playcalling AI so bad? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Why is the playcalling AI so bad?

Honestly, I have no idea how the source code for NCAA works, but I am a software developer and I would think playcalling AI would be one of the easier places to do some obvious stuff.

Why are all these teams with slow QBs continually trying to run the option? Why do they mismanage the clock so much late in the game?

I would love to hear what kind of things the AI actually looks at when picking plays. Supposedly the AI is smart enough to adjust if you keep picking the same play over and over again, but it's not smart enough to know that a QB with 70 SPD is not going to be able to outrun defenses?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Why is the playcalling AI so bad?

Eh, intelligent AI will probably be named as a new feature in a future version of the game.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Historically, the AI’s play calling in the NCAA & Madden Franchises have always sucked. Teams in the games have never had the same tendencies as their real life counterparts. Teams do when you sim games, but not when you play against the comp.

The “Coach Strategy Slider”, whether your’s or the comp’s, does not and has never had any bearing on how the game plays. On offense, you can count on the AI throwing the ball 65% to 75% of the time, regardless of the team. It doesn’t matter how well the running game is working or even if the comp is winning; at some point the AI will abandon the running game altogether. I have played many games where the comp has a lead in the 4th Quarter and the AI comes out throwing – instead of trying to run time off the clock.

Which is why, when you play against a team like Navy or Air Force, who in real life only throw the ball 10 times a game because their ground game gives them their best chance at winning, you end up winning 55-0 and you only give up 65 yards on defense.

In all the dynasties I have played, I always have the #1 rush defense in the nation. Not because my defenses have been that good, but because the AI will only run the ball on me 10 to 15 times a game.

I have been playing the NCAA Franchise for about 6 or 7 years now. Within that time frame, and after hundreds of games, I have only played 2 games where the AI was dedicated to the run…and I lost both games. FYI…those 2 games were played on NCAA ‘06.

Defensively, the AI plays the down and yards to go, not your formation or tendencies. If it is 3rd and 2 or 3, you can count on the defense being in a 46 or 5-2 alignment every time – blitzing against a run play. You (the player) may throw the ball 70% of the time in that situation, but the AI is playing against the 2 or 3 yards you have to go. You may be in a formation that has 3 or 4 WRs, but once again you only have 2 or 3 yards to go.

Just “Ask Corso” the next time you play and see what play he picks.

The AI, in both NCAA & Madden, is and always has been very weak. IMO…the AI’s play calling is one of the biggest glitches in the entire history of the franchise that has never been fixed. The “AI’s play calling” makes every game you play very predictable and the AI way too easy to beat – which is why the AI can only beat you with “cheese”.

Maybe EA should hire developers who write programs for chess games. After all, they write realistic programs that hold up against the best chess players in the world. I am not saying I want a “super hard” football game that I have to spend hours practicing on. But everyday chess players play games on PCs or other devices, where they are realistically challenged and chess is a complicated game.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I don't know but it's why I prefer online play, although some of the idiots online make the CPU look like pure genius.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
V*lSt*r

baccVols's Arena

OVR: 7

the computer isnt able to adjust once the fast qb is gone....it still runs the same plays as if the guy was still on the team
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

Yes, the CPU playcalling is a disaster. NCAA 08 was much better. Not sure how the dev team botched it so bad, but it's ugly, ugly, ugly.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I don't know but it's why I prefer online play, although some of the idiots online make the CPU look like pure genius.
So true, I was thinking this not to long ago.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Rookie

joehoo's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
Yes, the CPU playcalling is a disaster. NCAA 08 was much better. Not sure how the dev team botched it so bad, but it's ugly, ugly, ugly.

+1 can we ever fix something like this or are we stuck with out thumbs up you know where?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »