Home

defensive tips?

This is a discussion on defensive tips? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Banned

bostonsportsrule's Arena

OVR: 5
defensive tips?

I play mostly zone, unless there's 2 WR or less, and then I usually go man.

I've noticed I can't seem to stop anything over the middle, specifically post routes. Meanwhile, if I personally throw over the middle, I get picked 60% of the time (trying to work play action and other stuff in).

Anyways, any hardcore gamers who are knowledgeable of defensive sets have any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Rookie

Enderz Game's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: defensive tips?

With the QB accuracy as high as it is in this game it seems like most of the CPU-controlled QB's can pick apart zone coverages pretty well by hitting receivers "in the seams" where coverage responsibilities transition from one defensive player to another. This is a common weakness of zone coverages that seems to be more noticeable due to the relatively weak pass rush. Good QB + No Pressure + Zone Coverage = Completion. Common defensive counters are to call more man coverages or zone/blitzes to get more pressure on the QB and give him less time to find the seams.

I've had good success in my dynasty (All American difficulty w/ AAuburn's slider set) by recruiting good MCV CB's (they don't seem that hard to recuit so you can build some depth) and calling a lot of man coverages. If you've got guys with high press coverage ratings this is also pretty good at limiting the CPU gains from short timing routes (slants, stops, etc.).

Another good way to lower the CPU's completion % over the middle is to manually control one of the LB's (usually the one assigned to cover the TE since if you don't cover the HB you'll get burned on the sides). If the TE goes deep or cuts to the sideline you stay with him, but if he stays near the middle you can essentially play a weak zone w/ your LB and use him to help out if you see the pass going towards another open receiver.

Being able to pick apart zone coverages is a learned skill for a human player. You could start by watching a couple of CPU vs. CPU games. Use an overhead view and watch the defenders closely and see if you can start picking up on where the seams are when the defense is using a zone coverage. The overhead view makes it a little easier to see what the defense is doing and by having the CPU run the offense you can focus more on learning to read the defense.

Then try going into practice mode and throwing against various zone coverages. A common tactic against "Cover 2" type defenses (where the safeties play deep zones on each side of the field) is to send a TE on a post route down the middle of the field. If you time it right you can split the safeties and hit him "in the seam". See if you can find the seams in some of the other zone coverages.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

I run a 3-4 on defense and most of my success comes from blitzing 1 MLB and put the other in a zone or spying the QB. I'd say 80% of the time when I call my base 3-4 I do this. About 50% of the time i'll blitz 1 or both of my OLB's. I also shift the DL to the strong side of the play. I average about 3 or 4 sacks a game and about 1 INT. The only thing bad with my blitzing alot is that if the opposite team calls a screen they could burn me badly and it has happened.
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 09-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Rookie

In the words of the great Ohio State lineback AJ HAWK " Tackle the guy with the ball "
Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Rookie

adamcsay's Arena

OVR: 4

I find that bringing safeties in helps:

a) Unfortunately the CPU will never go deep so there's really no reason not to (that I can see).

b) It seems like with the safeties in, the CPU WR has less of a tendency to get in front of the defender for an easy catch between the zones.

Also, like others have said, try controlling the LB over the middle in a zone, this helps also. Fact is, the CPU controlled LB always gets itself out of position and the most crucial times within a route, leaving the WR open over the middle. It's going to take practice but I can promise if you keep the LB in position over the middle the CPU won't pass over the middle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Banned

bostonsportsrule's Arena

These are awesome tips, I'll take notes. Anyone else got some to share?

BTW, I already control the MLB over the middle, and I HAVE seen the CPU go deep, although it was only on two plays in the whole time I've played the game, and they were back to back plays. The first one, the guy had totally beaten my corner, but luckily the QB overthrew, the second one my guy managed to bat down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »