Home

Tips for Playing Quarterback

This is a discussion on Tips for Playing Quarterback within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Tips for Playing Quarterback

1) Use your RB's as your check-offs -- this is very important in the game and can be abused until the CPU learns to start playing Cover 2 D's. Its especially useful against OLB/Corner blitzes.

2) When choosing passing plays, I like to use ones where I know I'm overloading one side of the field and to counteract that I'll have my slot/TE drag towards the other side. If you get Man D's, you can exploit them easily with deep corner/post routes w/ RB's running flats underneath. If you get Zone D's, you should be able to find your pockets in the flats against Cover 3's or in the middle against Cover 2's.

3) Set some audibles. When the CPU *wants* to win, it will start calling the perfect plays against your chosen play. Having your audibles set a certain way can fight this greatly. For instance, I have 2 Audibles out of the I-Form Twins. HB Blast and the PA FB flat. I'll call the China play or the slants play to start and if the D has called my play, I can audible out of it without giving away too much.

Lastly, you shouldn't take more than 3 seconds to know where you're going with the ball. You may not have to throw in that time, but that sort of thing will help with your decision making.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I do recall having some success running on 3-4 WR and twin sets to 'force' the D to show it's hand (man or zone). I think I stopped because I thought it was cheating as I play against the cpu exclusively. I think I'll go back to that when I get home today. I don't want to stop playing 09 because I REALLY like the game. I just want to be better at QB before I tank another season.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Put simply, don't play on Heisman if you're looking for semi-realistic passing stats. The INT's are out of control on that level regardless of sliders. Unless you're content with just running a few money plays and cheesing the CPU every pass or setting human QB/WR sliders through the roof, you're going to rack up INT's by the boatload.

I think the passing game plays well with the exception of field depth, the ability of defensive players to react to balls they can't see, and the INT problem. If you know how to read safeties and linebackers coverage then you shouldn't have a problem completing 70-75% of your passes on Heisman with a playbook you might not even be familiar with. Just expect to throw some INTs as well. The tips some of these guys gave are good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Just like real life, if the QB is so concerned about the pass rush and not paying attention to the secondary or his receivers, he is going to play like crap. I'm not a great passer either but one of the things I do is watch the safeties right after I snap the ball. If they drop back, shift or blitz it will often tell me where I might want to go with the ball. Try to sneak a peak at the LBs as well to see if they blitz as well.

Most importantly, you need to have a plan before you snap the ball. When you call a play, know the receivers routes. If you don't, you will struggle. Furthermore, you should have a primary receiver in mind if you see man and also know who you should go to if its zone. Pre-snap looks might tell you if its man or zone based on how they line up as well.

I disagree that INTs on Heisman can't be controlled through sliders. That level plays very well and better than AA imo.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I disagree that INTs on Heisman can't be controlled through sliders. That level plays very well and better than AA imo.
I agree the level plays better than AA, but there is a huge INT problem. The only games I've been able to get INT's down is when two elite QB's are playing or when I play in a way that I consider cheating the weak AI. I've played with Def Awareness, INT, and Knockdowns at zero and still seen too many INT's with any QB who has an overall under 90.

You're either going to throw for 90% using money plays or throw a few picks. If you've found a middle ground, then please do tell.

The last gen passing game in NCAA/Madden felt a lot more crisp.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I agree the level plays better than AA, but there is a huge INT problem. The only games I've been able to get INT's down is when two elite QB's are playing or when I play in a way that I consider cheating the weak AI. I've played with Def Awareness, INT, and Knockdowns at zero and still seen too many INT's with any QB who has an overall under 90.

You're either going to throw for 90% using money plays or throw a few picks. If you've found a middle ground, then please do tell.

The last gen passing game in NCAA/Madden felt a lot more crisp.
Are you just talking about user picks or cpu picks as well? I'm not a good passer so I just drop cpu def. awareness down to 35 right now and have INT at 0. I average one pick a game as does the cpu (and I have human def. awareness at roughly 70 for the most part). The reason I play on Heisman is that I find the cpu QBs throw too many picks on AA and the cpu running game is just lousy on AA. My offensive skills are clearly suited to AA but the cpu offense just isn't good enough which is the only reason I play on Heisman.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Back to passing tips. These are the basics.

1. Concentrate on running 5-6 passing plays well. Put these in your audibles with a dive run play. These should have some common factors:
- There should be an overload to one side. A twins formation is good. This will keep you from having to guess if they are in man or zone.
- There should be a combination of routes, ones that work against zone and ones that work against man. Also if you need more time to watch the D, there should be extra blockers like TE's or RB's. If the route is blue, they will block first, then run the route.

2. Call the play and line up. For quick plays (3 step drop equivalent), make sure the receiver is not covered. If they bump, you will likely get picked or sacked if you don't throw.

3. Snap the ball and drop back. Watch your primary receiver. If they break open based on your pre-snap read, then pass. If they don't, you should have a second option ready to go. This will be either a combination route with the first (one player goes in, one player goes out, the D player has to follow 1), or a check down (a back out of the backfield or a TE that goes out 5 yards and sits).

4. Don't be afraid to go deep, switch to the receiver, and fight for the ball. It keeps them honest.

5. Don't forget to run. It again keeps them honest and if you aren't playing with a deep team, your WR's will tire quickly, drop the ball, or run slow and get you picked off.

Let me go quickly into some pre-snap reads.

For quick routes like slants or outs, watch the LB's. Watch for them lined up close to the line. If they blitz, know which receivers will be in their space when they vacate it. Also know if you have someone going deep, they will likely be one-on-one and primed to fight for a big catch. Throw light and lead up the field, you don't need to drop back far, you'll take off distance. If you throw hard, the S will step up and pick it off.

For intermediate routes like corners or posts, watch the safeties. See how they drop. If you have a TE or slot WR running a post, watch for them to split away from each other. That's a cover 2 and the post will be open once he clears the LB zone. If it's man-to-man under the safeties, then you just lead the TE away from the defender to the inside. If one of them drops straight back between the hash marks, it's 3 deep or 4 deep and you shouldn't throw deep. Hit something underneath like a crossing route or a HB out of the backfield. You can make this read in the first 1-2 seconds.

Remember the CPU is running the same defense you are. Watch what you call and remember what burns you. Against a zone, the inside receiver (a slot, the inside "twin", etc) will get a free release for 3-5 yds and can be hit immediately for a 10-12 yd gain. It's not cheezing, it's a hot route and it's a sight adjustment used from high school on up. If it's man-to-man, audible the receiver on the weak side to an out route, wait for them to begin their cut, make sure the S is not jumping the route, and lead them to the sideline with the throw. 5-7 yds, but not a sack. Practice reading fast and passing fast before the pressure gets there, and you'll focus on it less.

Now, master those 5-6 plays with different routes, and look for those routes out of different formations and to different players. Soon you'll run an entire drive out of one formation with a wide variety of routes, and then the next drive with a different formation every play, but all variations on the same pass.

Lastly, a tip on routes.
- Wheel routes are best vs. man to man (WR runs to the outside, then up).
- Slants are good vs. any, but you have to know when to release the ball.
- Hitch routes are good against zone.
- Posts are good against zone. Corner routes are good against man-to-man.
- Square Outs are for man-to-man and are death against zone (a pick 6 waiting to happen).
- Screens are good against zone (because man-to-man will be picked off... opposite of real life thinking).
- A straight line streak isn't good for anything, you want to audible these to a fade (right stick) if you are throwing deep.
- An outside in or inside out (looks like 1/2 of a diamond) is good for man-to-man.

Break it down to individual match ups, don't try to learn it all right away, execute a few plays well and grow from there. Good luck.

"Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking..."

Gamertag: SharkInShades
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

INTs are not out of control on Heisman. Heisman just punishes stupid choices. I've found that 90% of the time AT LEAST 1 WR is open or has the chance to make a catch on EVERY play. Sometimes they are only open at the beginning of the play and it is easy to miss your chance. If your WRs are covered, throw it away or scramble. The poster saying INTs are out of control most likely doesnt throw the ball away or take sacks(which is sometimes your best choice). dont throw when your WR cuts...step up when you WR cuts then throw. all about the timing. OP...just practice you'll figure it out.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/562389

Take this play for instance, right when that Safety pulls to the right to cover WR on that crossing route the QB steps up and throws a high bullet to the outside WR.The QB already saw his WR had the DB beat and just waited for the safety to pull. After that it was just a matter of getting the ball over the LB's head(who also shifted because of another crossing route) hence the high pass. how do you throw a high bullet? step up hold up on the left thumbstick and fire a bullet. make sure to step up right when the WR cuts.
It seems complicated but its not as hard as playing QB in real life. I've been playing since release on Heisman and reading D just becomes second nature.

also this is MAC conference play so the defenders arent ridiculously good but its all relative. (If this was SEC the QB and WR would be better too)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »