Home

I love ...

This is a discussion on I love ... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
I love ...

... the spread option offense. I just started Year 3 of my Tulane Dynasty (went 9-4 in 2008, went 10-3 in 2009) and to quickly describe my first two years on offense, it was a pain. I could score, but I didn't have any playmakers who could bust a big play here and there. However, I stayed patient and continued to build my team up through my recruiting classes.

During the '09 offseason, I managed to snag an 3* ATH during the off-season that ended up being an 86 rated QB freshman with 88 speed. Coupled that with a freshman tailback I signed, who had A- speed (91) and my offense instantly became explosive (just like the '98 Green Wave). My offensive playbook is still West Coast, but there are a nice number of spread option plays that have been devastating so far against my opponents. Needless to say, I love the spread option offense. When run correctly, it's unstoppable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: I love ...

... defending the spread option. If you have the horses (fast DE's or LB's playing end, 4-5 good DB's), you will guarantee injuries and turnovers. Like the Greatest Show on Turf, it leaves the QB exposed to hit after hit. The routes are tough to stop, I grant you that, and the option does suck to defend if you are man-to-man crazy or a blitzer, but a quick front 4 with a Dime Cover 2 behind it will keep the outside run from being overly effective and will bruise the QB with hits after release. Tulane doesn't likely play a lot of these teams though, until they invite you to rejoin the SEC...

So don't lose that QB and watch out for the zone. Otherwise... it is pretty awesome. I share your love of recruiting too. One athlete taking a chance on you is all it takes sometimes. Very cool.

"Never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking..."

Gamertag: SharkInShades
Old 09-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksInShades
... defending the spread option. If you have the horses (fast DE's or LB's playing end, 4-5 good DB's), you will guarantee injuries and turnovers. Like the Greatest Show on Turf, it leaves the QB exposed to hit after hit. The routes are tough to stop, I grant you that, and the option does suck to defend if you are man-to-man crazy or a blitzer, but a quick front 4 with a Dime Cover 2 behind it will keep the outside run from being overly effective and will bruise the QB with hits after release. Tulane doesn't likely play a lot of these teams though, until they invite you to rejoin the SEC...

So don't lose that QB and watch out for the zone. Otherwise... it is pretty awesome. I share your love of recruiting too. One athlete taking a chance on you is all it takes sometimes. Very cool.
Yeah, you're pretty spot on with how to defend it, for sure.

This is my first year really running any spread option and I obliterated Miss. St. 42-10, and just beat SMU 56-17. Before, I'd only be winning games by a margin of 7-17 and have the occasional route/loss.

I'll find out how good my team is when I face off against LSU. The first two years they completely spanked me, so it'll be interesting to see how much my guys have progressed.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 1

I think the spread offense is a little too powerful against the cpu. Your defensive strategy sounds great, but unfortunately the computer doesn't seem to do that. I'm in the 6th year of my dynasty - about 4 using the spread - and I'm absolutely destroying everyone I play, even on Heisman. I've been considering using another playbook just to make it interesting, but I've been recruiting specifically for the spread offense for so long.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVizions
I think the spread offense is a little too powerful against the cpu. Your defensive strategy sounds great, but unfortunately the computer doesn't seem to do that. I'm in the 6th year of my dynasty - about 4 using the spread - and I'm absolutely destroying everyone I play, even on Heisman. I've been considering using another playbook just to make it interesting, but I've been recruiting specifically for the spread offense for so long.
I don't use the spread exclusively. My playbook is still West Coast and I'm abiding by its principles, but their are some chunks of spread option plays that I've been able to use, which is nice to mix things up a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »