Home

Recruiting thoughts "House Rules"

This is a discussion on Recruiting thoughts "House Rules" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Recruiting thoughts "House Rules"

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I really don't have house rules. I have common sense. I only go after kids that are interested in my school and only at positions that I need. I also use a little forsight though. (ex. I'm FSU if I know that Preston Parker and Myron Rolle will probably leave after their JR year. I will add players at their position.) I'm not obsessed with having the number one class so I don't fill my board with 35 names. If I have 18 spots on my roster there will be about 20-22 kids there. It works for me. I understand house rules but wouldn't a little restraint work just as well?
thats what i do... use common sense and dont have to keep tab of every little thing and not worry about if im breaking any of my rules or not.

NCAA Football and Basketball
Tennessee Volunteers

A very fun football MMORPG - \/\/\/\/\/\/
http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=23627433

Old 10-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
while I see what you are doing to make the game more difficult for yourself I don't think it is a good representation of SIM other then the rule of not CUTTING scholarship kids. All walk-on (which EA counts into the 70 number) should be able to be cut. And I don't like the idea of having to take kids that want you since that is far from realism and pretty much removes the fun of recruiting IMO. you have already removed the joy of play calling strategy by using ASK CORSO, why also remove the fun of recruiting with all these rules?

IMO, if you have sliders hard enough to produce REALISTIC WIN/LOSS records, the recruiting is done really well in this game. However, if you are consistently beating teams that are better then you, well then of course the recruiting will be "too easy".
what is he removing? i only recruit to what i have available and if i cant fill a position you get a walkon. thats the human's fault for not filling the hole. i recruit between 15 and 19 guys a year with the no cut rule and even though im 4 to 9 guys below the cpu teams in overall guys i still finish in the top 10 in recruiting. its already so easy you have to have some kind of rules to balance it out. i play in perfect 10 and we use this rule and is our only recruiting rule and even the guys that didnt want to restrict recruiting love it now. has made us manage roster so much more and the recruiting battles are intense. the cpu is terrible at recruiting and its very easy to manipulate the cpu if you offer more scholarships than players needed. i normally have alot of rules but they are to hard to regulate for online so we just use this one and also if you are from a academic you can recruit anyone under b+ awarness and if you are non bcs you cant recruit more than 6 four stars a year (we use to use your prestige of your team to determine how many four stars but this was easier for online).
Old 10-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac52
thats what i do... use common sense and dont have to keep tab of every little thing and not worry about if im breaking any of my rules or not.
yea thats fine for one player dynasty's but online dyansty's need to have set rules ahead of time. there is no restraint when your trying to win fast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 17

1. Whatever your needs are, say you need a FB and a Center. A FB and Center must be 1 & 2 on your recruiting board. And you must apply appropriate resources as needed and spend time on them every week. In they event they sign somewhere else, a new FB & C prospect must jump to the top of your board.

IMO, rule like this makes no sense to me personally but everyone is different.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 5

I have a rule that I don't cut any player that has played in a game, So usually means only incoming frosh or a RS frosh gets cut. I quickly write down attributes, no so much appearance, and then create them as a junior to be recruited in two seasons.
To me that translates (actual NCAA) as a player doesn't qualify or leaves after first year or something like that.

I do set up my team with a limit at each position.
QB 4
RB 4-5
FB 3
WR 6-7
TE 3
OT 5
OG 5
C 3
DE 5
DT 5
OLB 6
MLB 3
CB 6
FS 3
SS 3
K 2
P 2
(70)

Also I use some limits each year in recruiting.
Qb 1, RB/FB 2-3, Wr 2, TE 1, OL 4, DL 3, LB 3, DB 4, K 1 (22) total.

Of course it doesn't work out each year so I have to alter a little, but when I follow recruiting in College Football it seems that the FBS teams bring in players at each position every year so even if it isn't a 4 or 5 star player I will get someone at each position.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I really don't have house rules. I have common sense. I only go after kids that are interested in my school and only at positions that I need. I also use a little forsight though. (ex. I'm FSU if I know that Preston Parker and Myron Rolle will probably leave after their JR year. I will add players at their position.) I'm not obsessed with having the number one class so I don't fill my board with 35 names. If I have 18 spots on my roster there will be about 20-22 kids there. It works for me. I understand house rules but wouldn't a little restraint work just as well?
thats pretty much what i do.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
yea thats fine for one player dynasty's but online dyansty's need to have set rules ahead of time. there is no restraint when your trying to win fast.
There is one rule for online dynasties that I think would be good. If you over recruit you lose the abilty to cut your own players. The Commish lets the CPU handle your cuts. Knowing how stupid the A.I. can be I think the threat of that would keep people from overrecruiting.

I honestly think that is the biggest problem with OD is people pulling in 25 kids every year then having to cut 10 people from their team. Those 10 could've gone to a CPU team that already doesn't manage it's depth chart very well.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
while I see what you are doing to make the game more difficult for yourself I don't think it is a good representation of SIM other then the rule of not CUTTING scholarship kids. All walk-on (which EA counts into the 70 number) should be able to be cut. And I don't like the idea of having to take kids that want you since that is far from realism and pretty much removes the fun of recruiting IMO. you have already removed the joy of play calling strategy by using ASK CORSO, why also remove the fun of recruiting with all these rules?

IMO, if you have sliders hard enough to produce REALISTIC WIN/LOSS records, the recruiting is done really well in this game. However, if you are consistently beating teams that are better then you, well then of course the recruiting will be "too easy".
All I can say is that I post things that make the game more enjoyable for me. The "Ask Corso" is alot better than calling your own plays IMO. Use 1 screen(4plays) or 2 screens(8plays), whatever Because lets face it, we gravitate towards the plays that always work the best when we call them. Track a game you play and let me know how many different plays you call. Most likely its limited to 15 or 20. Ask Corso, I am using plays I would have never used. It doesn't remove the strategy, you have to know how to execute the play you pick.

I should rephrase that rule on the 4*, thats only for 4* or less schools, for 5* or greater schools you could say 5* players. Either way, you wouldn't turn down a 5* prospect that wanted to come to your school. There's only a few of those instances anyway.

And whats wrong with starting the better all around player? Yes we know speed kills on this game, but I try to ignore speed and look at other attributes as well. Route running for example seems to make a bit of a difference as well as catch if you have the right sliders.

Are your sliders hard enough to produce realistic win/loss records? Could you lose if you tried you hardest even with house rules?

Anyway, I'm not telling people what to use, I just like discussing it. But whatever I use does add enjoyment to the game for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »