Home

Please Help Me Understanding Defense

This is a discussion on Please Help Me Understanding Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Please Help Me Understanding Defense

Hey guys,

I'm in need of some serious help. I will admit that I've never played football and I absolutely suck at all things defense. Now that I'm playing in some online leagues, it is really showing when playing against human opponents.

On defense, it seems like they know everything I'm calling and exploit it. On offense, they call amazing defensive plays where I can't even gain a yard it seems. Even when my team is significantly better than my opponents, I'm getting creamed by 20 or 30 points.

I've tried just using the "Ask Corso" feature but it seems to be worse than me calling it myself.

Can someone please take the time to explain how defense works and the best way to use the plays given?

What is the pros and cons of each defensive set?

What type of plays should be called on running plays? passing plays? short yardage plays?

Is there a specific play that you like to use? For what reason?

What are things to look for from the offensive so I know to call audibles?

Thank you so much for your time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Please Help Me Understanding Defense

You don't have to be a genius in football terminology to be good at this game. In fact, other than knowing position names, and basic defensive terminology (Zone, man, cover 2, cover 2, cover 3) is all it takes.

Other than that you need to know and understand what the AI is trying to do. The basis of the game is the AI and once you understand it is when you get good.

You need to know what works and what will be open against man and the variety of zones. What is open if they blitz. The best thing to do is go to practice mode and run plays you like against man and zone to see what works. Some plays are zone busters, some are man busters, and some have both. You need to stick to the plays that have both. Then run them against random defenses.

If you are not good at the game, this is basically the only way to get good. You won't get good by just getting beat every game. Most people that are really really good spend hours upon hours labbing in practice mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »