Home

Big Step Ahead - OL/DL Interaction

This is a discussion on Big Step Ahead - OL/DL Interaction within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 37
Re: Big Step Ahead - OL/DL Interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
A lot of hardcore fans clammor for the 17-13 game. But we have to realize that college football is an offensive game and there ARE a ton of big plays. It's more wide open than the NFL.

Division I football teams are averaging 27.19 points per game through November 8th. That means scores of 30-24 are for more likely than a 17-13 game whose total scoring is just over the average of one team. The best teams are scoring over 50 points a game. 99 teams out of the 120 Division I schools all average over 20 points a game.

People will argue that the Big 12 is the best conference this year and you try finding a Big 12 game that features defense. The average Big 12 team in conference play is averaging 33.29 points a game. We can't ignore how potent college football's offenses are.
Your points are well taken (though I would suggest that the PRESENTATION component has a long, long, long way to go just to get back to last gen standards!). I have no issues with 33 points avg for a team in a game... remember, NCAA is NOT the NFL! I rather enjoy a good balance of low score and high score matches.

Though I want to see the DL ability to be great improved with regards to the pass rush, my FEAR is that for 2010 EA will simply go back to the 08 edition of the ridiculous defensive abilities (we all remember the insane pass rush, LB's and DB's with eyes in the back of their heads, an interception on every other pass play). NCAA 08 is the only NCAA FOOTBALL game that I disliked!

So I guess what I am saying is change the DL interaction BUT do not in any way shape or form return to the ridiculous defense ala NCAA FOOTBALL 08!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

They have a long ways to go. The problem isn't just the suction blocking/animations, it's also that there's literally no underlying AI that helps linemen know which gaps to attack/defend. As a result, a ton of blitzing plays do not work on this game because linemen end up attacking gaps incorrectly, which throws off the timing of the blitz, or prevents a player from coming free. Or two defenisve players end up running into each other and getting stuck, rather than one coming free.

As previously stated, interior linemen are pretty useless. They don't get penetration, ever, and they don't force double teams that free up linebackers to make plays.

For the record, the pass rush wasn't any better on '08. That's a common misperception. Blitzes worked a lot better on '08 because the offensive line protection logic was extremely limited, thus making it relatively easy to consistently get guys in untouched if you came with a blitz, but the down linemen rarely got pressure with just a four man rush -- and were useless at containment, regardless of ratings. The only exception is with the 3 man crash issue, but again, that was mostly an exploit of the OL pass block logic.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 24

Someone mentioned this is another thread, but what about using the right stick for defensive moves? Combined with the left analog, it could be used to swim left or right, do a spin, or bullrush. Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 31

Now that the tackling system is a lot better OL?DL interaction is the biggest area of weakness. For me I would like to see drive blocking on double teams, pile ups, better collision detection (LBRulz taking on a shoulder forcing a running to cut off a block) and the obvious need for better passing pocket.

This along with better playbooks are at the top of my wishlist (along with accelerated clock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Furthermore, weight has to be a bigger factor in the ratings of players. There should be a penalty for trying to play a 220 pound DE in a 3-4 defense. Bigger is better in football and they need to factor this in more. Right now I think it's largely irrelevant.
Speed and Power is better. Bob Sanders....London Fletcher....Bigger is not always better.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
Someone mentioned this is another thread, but what about using the right stick for defensive moves? Combined with the left analog, it could be used to swim left or right, do a spin, or bullrush. Thoughts?
On last-gen (I think 2006), this was in the game. The right stick was used to break blocks. But then the next year it was moved back to the shoulder buttons.

The next logical step would probably be moving defender moves back to the right stick. Combined with the left stick, it would trigger a specific animation depending on the defender's position in relation to the offensive lineman's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I love the idea!!!!! Using the left and right bumper pads is very awkward, especially on the much larger 360 controllers.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #23
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
On last-gen (I think 2006), this was in the game. The right stick was used to break blocks. But then the next year it was moved back to the shoulder buttons.

The next logical step would probably be moving defender moves back to the right stick. Combined with the left stick, it would trigger a specific animation depending on the defender's position in relation to the offensive lineman's.
The most logical step would be following the design decisions of Backbreaker and having all "moves" controlled by the left/right sticks.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #24
Rookie

mjacks10's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
They have a long ways to go. The problem isn't just the suction blocking/animations, it's also that there's literally no underlying AI that helps linemen know which gaps to attack/defend. As a result, a ton of blitzing plays do not work on this game because linemen end up attacking gaps incorrectly, which throws off the timing of the blitz, or prevents a player from coming free. Or two defenisve players end up running into each other and getting stuck, rather than one coming free.

As previously stated, interior linemen are pretty useless. They don't get penetration, ever, and they don't force double teams that free up linebackers to make plays.

For the record, the pass rush wasn't any better on '08. That's a common misperception. Blitzes worked a lot better on '08 because the offensive line protection logic was extremely limited, thus making it relatively easy to consistently get guys in untouched if you came with a blitz, but the down linemen rarely got pressure with just a four man rush -- and were useless at containment, regardless of ratings. The only exception is with the 3 man crash issue, but again, that was mostly an exploit of the OL pass block logic.
Very true. I wish that DTs "knew" whether or not they were 1 gap or 2 gap players and then behaved as such.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »