Home

Help me complete a 30+ yard pass!

This is a discussion on Help me complete a 30+ yard pass! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Trouble Throwing the Deep Ball ...

I am predominantly a run-first / pass-second type offense. I use the Fresno State playbook and I employ a good mix of single-back (Ace) and two-back (IForm / Strong / Weak) sets. I am doing OK at crossing routes and slants/outs ... but I still want to hit a nice deep ball every once in a while - but I have no luck with this. I could use your help!

===== ===== =====
From the QB perspective:

Does it matter what my THP/THA are? I have been using Michigan and Temple in my dynasty - the QBs for these teams are in the 80s for both THP and THA.

I know that I should have my feet "set" before I throw the pass. I have spent time in practice mode trying to figure out how to throw the lob pass. I know that I am supposed to lightly touch the button so that I get the high arching ball path.

What about the precision passing part? Out in front ("up" on the D-pad) or toward the sideline/center ("left" or "right" on the D-pad)?

Thoughts on timing? When should I release the pass? What should I look for to determine when my WR is open?

Thinks to look for pre-snap? While the play is progressing? Should I roll out to one side or stay in the pocket?
===== ===== =====

===== ===== =====
From the WR perspective:

Do I need to have an OVR advantage over the CB guarding me? How much? I subbed out the CB and replaced him with a slow LB in practice mode - and then I worked on getting past that slower guy [this worked ]

Should I take control of the WR? I have been leaving him be - and letting the CPU control him through the catch. I am afraid that when I select the WR (hit A) that he veers from his route.

I know that I can hit Y to catch or X to dive - does this make a difference? What is the timing for this?
===== ===== =====

===== ===== =====
From the coach perspective:

I know that I should only attempt the deep pass when I have single coverage - I do not like my chances against two defense players. Most of the time when I try to throw the deep ball it is knocked down by 2 (or 3) defensive players who come from elsewhere to swarm my WR.

What deep routes have good success (go / flag / post / fade)? Is there any specific advice about the particular routes that is valuable? Zone vs man?

I think that I should have success with PA passes - I like to run the ball - and I feel like in "real football" the PA pass following some rushes is high return. But I mostly get sacked whenever I call a PA pass.

Should I only attempt a deep pass from a S-Gun formation - or can I still use my under-center offense?
===== ===== =====

Thanks for reading - I hope this starts a good discussion!

Last edited by SpHSpH; 12-16-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Help me complete a 30+ yard pass!

Nothing here?

No one goes deep?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

stop using teams that suck....nah jk...lol
I use FSU and i don't know what i will do when carr is gone next year...LOL. I normally toss it up DEEP to my tall reciever...because he can go up and get it.. Your best bet is to throw it with one on one coverage and go up and get it yourself with a user catch...cause if not it's going to get knocked down unless you heave that thing so hard and you know it's going to go over both guys heads....cause the CB's will go up and just bat it down....I try To get a 1 on 1 with a deep route down the sidelines or across the field...REALLY be careful throwing these cause they can and will get picked....you got to set the D up for it....and usually it's vs humans...CPU? ahhh 2 easy...I burn them all day...LOL play actiooooooooon....

NBA Live...I got this!
Ncaa 2010 you don't want it!
Madden ...lets get it!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
bb9
Rookie

bb9's Arena

OVR: 4

Take it for what it's worth, but I look for 1 on 1 coverage and make sure I have a fast receiver. When you throw the ball try take a step forward before throwing it.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

know the weak spots. in man its tough to go over the top because of the db's being able to jump to the max height when in full sprint. against man i find deep ins and outs, curls, comebacks and of course crosses to be what you want to do. quick slants are pretty good to. against cover two the middle post of any kind and deep out will kill it and cover three the slot recievers can do some damage. i pick one deep one short and a safety valve for every play. go through progressions. i run usc's playbook so i run alot of what you do and pass pretty well. i get maybe one deep pass a game but i dont force.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Recruit a receiver who runs a 4.16.

Pick a play action play that has that receiver running a go route.

If the safety on that side bites at all on the play action, tap the receiver's button so that the ball will be thrown very high.

Take control of the receiver yourself and turbo past the corner, hit Y to manual catch. Run that trick in.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Trouble Throwing the Deep Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
===== ===== =====
From the QB perspective:

Does it matter what my THP/THA are? I have been using Michigan and Temple in my dynasty - the QBs for these teams are in the 80s for both THP and THA.
high THP is most important so you dont underthrow the receiver and let the coverage guy catch up.

Quote:
I know that I should have my feet "set" before I throw the pass. I have spent time in practice mode trying to figure out how to throw the lob pass. I know that I am supposed to lightly touch the button so that I get the high arching ball path.

What about the precision passing part? Out in front ("up" on the D-pad) or toward the sideline/center ("left" or "right" on the D-pad)?
I always use up, and just tap the button.

Quote:
Thoughts on timing? When should I release the pass? What should I look for to determine when my WR is open?
Throw it as soon as you reach your drop back point.

Quote:
Thinks to look for pre-snap? While the play is progressing? Should I roll out to one side or stay in the pocket?
This is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of passing in this game. Pre-snap read. You are looking #1 for man coverage with no safety over the top. Preferably press coverage so that your guy gets a step or two after getting past the corner. But most importantly do NOT throw the deep ball to a side where there is a safety.

Also, stay in the pocket...you don't have time to let your receiver get too far downfield BC then your QB can't get the ball deep enough. You have to throw it quickly so that you can hit the WR in stride while he is behind his man coverage.
===== ===== =====

===== ===== =====
Quote:
From the WR perspective:

Do I need to have an OVR advantage over the CB guarding me? How much? I subbed out the CB and replaced him with a slow LB in practice mode - and then I worked on getting past that slower guy [this worked ]
You already noticed the main attribute....SPEED. you need a speed advantage of at least a few points. I'd say 5 is very good, 3 is doable occasionally. I've noticed that if speed is more evenly matched, height and JMP play an important role as well. I have a 6'3" receiver with 93 speed who I will throw it up to against ANY single coverage, cause the guy just seems to come down with it.

Quote:
Should I take control of the WR? I have been leaving him be - and letting the CPU control him through the catch. I am afraid that when I select the WR (hit A) that he veers from his route.

I know that I can hit Y to catch or X to dive - does this make a difference? What is the timing for this?
I never take control of the WR. IMO it's not necessary if you make the right presnap read and have a good(fast) enough WR.
===== ===== =====

===== ===== =====
From the coach perspective:

Quote:
I know that I should only attempt the deep pass when I have single coverage - I do not like my chances against two defense players. Most of the time when I try to throw the deep ball it is knocked down by 2 (or 3) defensive players who come from elsewhere to swarm my WR.

What deep routes have good success (go / flag / post / fade)? Is there any specific advice about the particular routes that is valuable? Zone vs man?
This question has many answers. I'll give you an example to show you what I mean.
I am currently in year 6 of a dynasty and got a job at Kansas. Spread offense with many deep passes. There is one where on the same side of the field one WR runs a go, while the other runs a Post. My pre-snap and JUST post-snap reads tell me who i'm throwing to.
If the D is in cover-1, I always pump fake the safety to freeze him, then throw the go. If they drop into a cover-2, I throw the post into the middle. I always 'GUN' the post while holding up to make the receiver jump. This usually causes him to get some last sec. separation from the defender as well as making sure the ball gets over the LBs.
This is one example of how I do my reads. But the safeties are your most important read in the deep game by far. How they line up, and how they move just after the snap, should tell you alot about what deep routes will be open.

Quote:
I think that I should have success with PA passes - I like to run the ball - and I feel like in "real football" the PA pass following some rushes is high return. But I mostly get sacked whenever I call a PA pass.

Should I only attempt a deep pass from a S-Gun formation - or can I still use my under-center offense?
I find that playaction is most effective against LB's, but not so effective in getting the deep ball against safeties (unless you have CPU DAWR too low). So ideally playaction is great for freezing the LB's then hitting a medium depth route over the middle....the TE Post for example, or a slot post. Other than that, PA does lead to alot of sacks, unless you designate a dump off receiver (usually a RB or TE heading to the flats) that you throw to immediately if the DL gets right through.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Pro

very helpful - thanks!

i am not looking for 400+ yards passing each week - just something that looks like a nice deep completion every now and then ...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »