Home

Why is the ath position even in this game?

This is a discussion on Why is the ath position even in this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Why is the ath position even in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
Yep. Most ATH in NCAA 09 are equally good or close to equally good at their best 2-4 positions.
On last gen that was the case but on next gen it isn't. There are very few that are that innerchangeable and I've seen some that could play WR or CB and their strength goes down to the 30's when they are moved the CB. This function is broken.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
On last gen that was the case but on next gen it isn't. There are very few that are that innerchangeable and I've seen some that could play WR or CB and their strength goes down to the 30's when they are moved the CB. This function is broken.
I find it hard to believe that this is different between Last Gen and Next Gen. I'm using Next Gen (Xbox 360).

I haven't seen athletes attributes take a hit when you change their position from ATH to something else. If you change it from ATH to WR, then back out, then go back in and change it to CB, that's a different story.

I'll admit though, I haven't signed many ATH on NCAA 09 yet. The few I've signed have been balanced across several positions they were best at. I signed a lot on NCAA 08 and found it to be a useful feature there. I'll keep my eyes open for issues I guess.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

its the speed factor for a lot of positions also. you can take a guy that 78 at linebacker and move him to te or fb and his speed drops alot and so does his overall. you have to move them to qb or kicker and then to fb or te to keep the speed but awarness takes a double hit. i hope they fix the athletes also. could be done much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

What you have to be careful about though is if you sign an athlete that shows WR attributes when recruiting him he pretty much has to play WR. Say he is a 84 overall with 95 speed, 92 agility, and 94 acceleration. If you go to WR it will say he is a 84 overall. But if you go to CB or Saftey, it will say he is around teh same overall in the 82-84 area. but dont be fooled by that. YOu have to check his coverage ratings also before you make that switch, because the Overall rating of a player only has to do with certain attributes, not all of them, like the man coverage, zone coverage, catch in traffic, spectacular catch, etc... do not count toward there overall. I know this because in one of my dynastys, i recruited the number 1 overall player who was an athelete. a stud like 6'5 200 lbs, who showed the WR attributes when recruiting him. I ended up getttin him and i got to position changes, he was a 89 overall WR, but when i was scrolling through he was a 90 overall FS. I was like hey i need a FS so i put him there but then i checked his Man Coverage and Zone Coverage but they were only 40's. so just check out the position specific attributes before you finalize anything.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck0027
What you have to be careful about though is if you sign an athlete that shows WR attributes when recruiting him he pretty much has to play WR. Say he is a 84 overall with 95 speed, 92 agility, and 94 acceleration. If you go to WR it will say he is a 84 overall. But if you go to CB or Saftey, it will say he is around teh same overall in the 82-84 area. but dont be fooled by that. YOu have to check his coverage ratings also before you make that switch, because the Overall rating of a player only has to do with certain attributes, not all of them, like the man coverage, zone coverage, catch in traffic, spectacular catch, etc... do not count toward there overall. I know this because in one of my dynastys, i recruited the number 1 overall player who was an athelete. a stud like 6'5 200 lbs, who showed the WR attributes when recruiting him. I ended up getttin him and i got to position changes, he was a 89 overall WR, but when i was scrolling through he was a 90 overall FS. I was like hey i need a FS so i put him there but then i checked his Man Coverage and Zone Coverage but they were only 40's. so just check out the position specific attributes before you finalize anything.
Hm, I'm going to try creating some players and see for myself MCV and ZCV affect the rating of a FS.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews85
If you draft an ATH and he ends up being a WR then 9 time out of 10 he's going to be a equally good CB, FS or SS. Same goes with OL and DL ATH's.

The last time I landed a LB ATH he ended up being a decent FB too, but I think thats rare.
Quote:
Yep. Most ATH in NCAA 09 are equally good or close to equally good at their best 2-4 positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner46
I recruited a ATH that was slightly better at CB, FS or SS but could also play QB, RB and WR.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that this is different between Last Gen and Next Gen. I'm using Next Gen (Xbox 360).

I haven't seen athletes attributes take a hit when you change their position from ATH to something else. If you change it from ATH to WR, then back out, then go back in and change it to CB, that's a different story.

I'll admit though, I haven't signed many ATH on NCAA 09 yet. The few I've signed have been balanced across several positions they were best at. I signed a lot on NCAA 08 and found it to be a useful feature there. I'll keep my eyes open for issues I guess.
You guys are seeing something that I'm not seeing here. I play on PS3 by the way. I don't know if that's it or what. We are in 2011 in our online dynasty and I have signed at least one athlete every year and every year in the offseason I try to see what position they are best at and every year he's had a certain rating at his main position(the position shown while recruiting him) and every year he's taken at least a 4-5 point hit when I try to assign him to another position. I had a "LB" ath that was 6-4 220 with b spd, c str, c+ fmv and pmv, c+ bsh, and c prc. I needed a de so I was like cool, I'll go after him. Well just my luck, he didn't want to be a DE or something, because his 75 rating dropped down to some where in the 60's (can't remember exact no.) when I moved him to DE. I was like WTF!! He's perfect for a DE.....for me at least. I guess you guys are the lucky ones or I'm the unlucky one. I don't know.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
You gotta redshirt him at CB and then at next years training he will get a MASSIVE increase on DB attributes. I know because I recruited a 99 speed athlete and he was 85 overall for db or wr but his man coverage was in the twenties, so I left him at CB and next year after training his coverage skills were in the 70's.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
I wish this was the case with me. Ath's drop so far when I move them to other positions, I'm scared to even try a new position. You can't drop 7 points and still have the same ratings in all of the categories.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »