Home

Stopping the Slant

This is a discussion on Stopping the Slant within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Stopping the Slant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound79
An interesting idea. My worry is that the 4-4 cover 2 leaves me vulnerable to the deeper patterns. He's got 2 speedy wideouts with 97+ speed, which are tough to cover. I'll definitely go into the practice mode and try out this and the other suggestions.

To the person who suggested I man up and do a user-pick, I only wish it were that simple. He pretty much throws to the opposite side of the field from wherever I'm roaming.
For the roaming, you can never guarantee success, but you can try to fool him and hope he makes a mistake. Start one way and then quickly go back the other. If he's really good he will make the right read anyway, but if you know he's throwing slant inside left or inside right, you've at least got a shot to make him make the wrong read and hopefully pick it off. I don't know if it'll work that way, it's worth trying though, I know that's what I fear when I call slants on offense.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound79
An interesting idea. My worry is that the 4-4 cover 2 leaves me vulnerable to the deeper patterns. He's got 2 speedy wideouts with 97+ speed, which are tough to cover. I'll definitely go into the practice mode and try out this and the other suggestions.

To the person who suggested I man up and do a user-pick, I only wish it were that simple. He pretty much throws to the opposite side of the field from wherever I'm roaming.

yea i wouldnt either. like i said i only feel comfortable with this in the redzone and really 10 and in. i would maybe consider some de drops in and speading the lb's so that you get the short covered. a good corner in man would be the the real stop but like you said earlier you cant coach a guy up and get him to play the inside. plus man is terrible on this game and useless against any unbalanced formation or playaction.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
man is terrible on this game and useless against any unbalanced formation or playaction.
I've had this argument elsewhere, but that is blasphemy. Man coverage in this game is about taking away angles and getting user picks.

Taking away slants is simply a matter of cutting off the slant angles and once you figure out your opponent's primary read, you have all of the information you need to figure out their whole gameplan.

1. Find primary read.
2. Shift defensive line in direction of primary read.
3. Control available zone defender and cut off angle from QB to primary read.

You'll give up a completion to another WR against most good players on that play, but you will have found their secondary read and now you can call a play to have max CPU coverage in that area while you focus on stopping the primary read.

I've yet to see a person who has a consistent third option on plays once the first two have broken down, so you're free to roam with your user controlled player and pretty much play the QB and find where you think they will throw the ball. It's all stick skills from there. If they can still complete the pass, then you tip the cap to them for a job well done and dare them to do it again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think if you run a cover 2 with the de's manned up on the slant guys you cant get a pick if you catch him off guard... sometimes 1 turnover is all you need to do to win
Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I've had this argument elsewhere, but that is blasphemy. Man coverage in this game is about taking away angles and getting user picks.

Taking away slants is simply a matter of cutting off the slant angles and once you figure out your opponent's primary read, you have all of the information you need to figure out their whole gameplan.

1. Find primary read.

You'll give up a completion to another WR against most good players on that play, but you will have found their secondary read and now you can call a play to have max CPU coverage in that area while you focus on stopping the primary read.

I've yet to see a person who has a consistent third option on plays once the first two have broken down, so you're free to roam with your user controlled player and pretty much play the QB and find where you think they will throw the ball. It's all stick skills from there. If they can still complete the pass, then you tip the cap to them for a job well done and dare them to do it again.
That's the best advice yet. Thanks for all the suggestions. Any more?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow

1. Find primary read.

Best advice yet...any more?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Try it in practice and make sure you don't get caught calling the same man coverages on too many consecutive plays. Smart players will start hitting you with post/corner combos or overloading one side of the field once they realize you're using man-to-man. I personally love some of the cover 1 or cover 4/drop zone plays to switch things up after I show man coverage for a few plays. You can use the play audibles to switch to cover 3 if they come out overloaded on one side of the field.

It's just a chess game at the end of the day and a good mix of zone and man goes a long way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

you should invite me to a game, i have to see this. i play straight. GT: The Knee

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »