Home

Underdog AI

This is a discussion on Underdog AI within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Underdog AI

Happens to me quite a bit actually. Most recently in my San Diego State dynasty. I beat USC and Cal, but then in conference play, I get taken to the wire by Utah, Air Force, and Wyoming. But what was interesting was in my FIU dynasty, I beat Miami, and lost to Florida State by 1, but once again, the conference games are rough, but I'm edging em out. Until Arkansas State, they beat me 54-51. I like this "Underdog AI". Makes me take every game seriously.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessboxer1
yes it's in the all video games (for the most part, didn't see it much in college hoops 2k) and it bugs the hell out of me. i call it the great equalizer, because the ai seems to want to make games competitive for the underdog.

if i'm idaho, and i play usc, i expect to get trampled. if i'm usc and i play idaho i expect to knock all their starters out by halftime, plain and simple. i understand a division opponent with a lot of veterans and a few stars like oregon state to give me a good game, but there shouldn't be an across the board boost for all inferior teams. it doesn't make the game more fun, because when i'm playing a team thats better then me they play down to my level and i end up killing them.

there is a simple solution to this, and that is some sort of focus meter or amped meter or whatever you want to call it. have a meter that shows your collective focus (and possibly the collective focus of the other team) before and during the game. add some abilities to try and psych them up (pre-game speech maybe?) or yell at them during the game or whatever, to try and snap your team out of their funk. this feature could also hinge upon how many veterans you have starting (or at key positions like quarterback) if there was some sort of logical explanation as to why oneonta state is still hanging with penn state in the third quarter, than maybe i'll be able to accept it.

oh and btw, this should happen almost exclusively when the superior team is on the road, unless the difference between team rating difference is <10 (less than or equal to 10) or something along those lines. anyone else agree, or am i complaining for no reason?
The meter would be a cool addition. They need to fix what we have now 1st but knowing EA, next year's installment will be full of unnecessary new features

Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #11
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
Happens to me quite a bit actually. Most recently in my San Diego State dynasty. I beat USC and Cal, but then in conference play, I get taken to the wire by Utah, Air Force, and Wyoming. But what was interesting was in my FIU dynasty, I beat Miami, and lost to Florida State by 1, but once again, the conference games are rough, but I'm edging em out. Until Arkansas State, they beat me 54-51. I like this "Underdog AI". Makes me take every game seriously.
Yeah I kinda like it too. But it happens to often since the Pac 10 only has 3 quality teams after 7 years. USC, UCLA and Oregon

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

It's not "underdog" AI, but it's the random roll of the dice that determines whether a team is actually going to play a good game or roll over like a dead dog. You usually can tell in the first quarter what kind of game to expect from the CPU.

I don't like it at all and wish EA would actually develop a game that plays teams and players to their ratings instead of randomizing and bastardizing my gaming experience.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
It's not "underdog" AI, but it's the random roll of the dice that determines whether a team is actually going to play a good game or roll over like a dead dog. You usually can tell in the first quarter what kind of game to expect from the CPU.

I don't like it at all and wish EA would actually develop a game that plays teams and players to their ratings instead of randomizing and bastardizing my gaming experience.
Lol. I call it Underdog AI since only the teams rated lower than me give me good games. Evenly matched or better overall teams put up a fight, but nothing like a team with a sucky qb and slow skill players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »