Home

Early 2010 ratings predictions

This is a discussion on Early 2010 ratings predictions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Early 2010 ratings predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexerr
What more do you want from a true freshman? Its more about guessing how good they will be the next season than how good they were at the end of this season. Usually there is a big jump between freshman/sophomore year. That was actually the rating i was least expecting heat from. A slight speed boost would bump him up a couple overall regardless of any other progression.

Also remember, its partially a reputation thing as well.
Well, we have proof of his skills at the end of this past season. I'd say his 84 OVR was very close to what he actually would be rated. Normally, it is average that players progress 4 or 5 OVR per year. I'd say that is what I'd guess or expect. He's not going to become a great pocket passer from his FR to SO year therefore his passer ratings shouldn't go up much. I didn't see him get a whole lot better as a passer throughout the season. He still tucked it and ran a whole lot when he still had progressions to go though. I wouldn't think his speed should go up either. He's a tremendous athlete, but it's kind of like we were talking about our QB Snead, you have to be highly objective to your team's players and it's harder for some than others.

One could guess that he never gets a lick better as a passer and they have a good chance of being right. I don't think that but if we're engaging in speculation here...

I just don't think players should take heroic leaps in ratings when they haven't proved it, especially from FR to SO. 88 OVR would still make him a great player for a SO and he could still be the highest rated QB as a SR. Sometimes it seems like fans want their superstars to be annointed as greatness before they've achieved it. This would be one of those cases.

I'm not ripping the guy and I know how his rep as a top recruit and his potential can factor in ratings. I just don't see a need to build a guy up from his FR to SO year, especially a QB. People do make huge jumps from FR to SO, but there is also that SO slump.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

NEBRASKA

QB
Patrick Witt 82
Kody Spano 81

RB
Roy Helu (Impact) 91
Quentin Castille 86

WR
Niles Paul 84
Menelik Holt 80
Chris Brooks 80

TE
Mike McNeill 89

LT
Mike Smith 83
Jaivorio Burkes 83

LG
Keith Williams 82

C
Jacob Hickman 85

RG
DJ Jones 81

RT
Marcel Jones 80

DE1
Barry Turner 88

DE2
Pierre Allen 86

DT
Ndamukong Suh (Impact) 96
Baker Steinkuhler 86
Jared Crick 79

OLB1
Latravis Washington 80

OLB2
Black Lawrence 83

MLB
Philip Dillard (Impact) 89

CB
Anthony West 87
Prince Amukamara 85
Eric Hagg 84
Lance Thorell 81

SS
Larry Asante 87

FS
Rickey Thenarse 86
Matt OHanlon 84

K
Alex Henery 90 (89 KPW, 94 KAC)
Adi Kunalic 86 (93 KPW, 80 KAC)

P
Alex Henery
?

Last edited by NoLittleBabies; 01-29-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
Rookie

vexerr's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Well, we have proof of his skills at the end of this past season. I'd say his 84 OVR was very close to what he actually would be rated. Normally, it is average that players progress 4 or 5 OVR per year. I'd say that is what I'd guess or expect. He's not going to become a great pocket passer from his FR to SO year therefore his passer ratings shouldn't go up much. I didn't see him get a whole lot better as a passer throughout the season. He still tucked it and ran a whole lot when he still had progressions to go though. I wouldn't think his speed should go up either. He's a tremendous athlete, but it's kind of like we were talking about our QB Snead, you have to be highly objective to your team's players and it's harder for some than others.

One could guess that he never gets a lick better as a passer and they have a good chance of being right. I don't think that but if we're engaging in speculation here...

I just don't think players should take heroic leaps in ratings when they haven't proved it, especially from FR to SO. 88 OVR would still make him a great player for a SO and he could still be the highest rated QB as a SR. Sometimes it seems like fans want their superstars to be annointed as greatness before they've achieved it. This would be one of those cases.

I'm not ripping the guy and I know how his rep as a top recruit and his potential can factor in ratings. I just don't see a need to build a guy up from his FR to SO year, especially a QB. People do make huge jumps from FR to SO, but there is also that SO slump.
The strange thing with NCAA ratings though si the heavy weight they put on the stupidest of catagories. You could have an 80 throwing power and 80 throwing accuracy but if you have a high awareness youll be completely overrated. I am also going off the fact that lot of palces already have him listed as a top 5-10 contender for the heisman. It really just depends on if whoever does the ratings buys the hype. For instance College Football News has him as #4 in their super-early list. If you look at the rest of my list, its not like im annointing anyone to superstar status, but I suppose thats everyones own opinion.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
The strange thing with NCAA ratings though si the heavy weight they put on the stupidest of catagories. You could have an 80 throwing power and 80 throwing accuracy but if you have a high awareness youll be completely overrated. I am also going off the fact that lot of palces already have him listed as a top 5-10 contender for the heisman. It really just depends on if whoever does the ratings buys the hype. For instance College Football News has him as #4 in their super-early list. If you look at the rest of my list, its not like im annointing anyone to superstar status, but I suppose thats everyones own opinion.
My fault. I didn't mean to intend that you were annointing everyone. I wasn't clear on that, my fault. I just thought Pryor was a little high. You could very well be spot on though. Ohio St. has a great program with tons of depth and talented players so they should be rated highly.

I try to be objective and observant of other conferences and I've watch OSU many times. I kind of like OSU. I like Tressel. I don't doubt the potential of Pryor. Here's my look at how he should be ranked. I'm stepping out by comparing him to the likes of Vince Young. Is Pryor better at the same stage? Possibly since he played and started as a TR FR. They are very comparable due to their skillsets. It took Vince starting and taking over a bowl game to get him to that superstar status where it was easy to rate him highly the next season. That is not the case with Pryor. Him being so you allows an 87,88, or 89 rating to allow him to progress enough over the next season or two for him to easily reach that status. That make sense to me.

As for the Heisman talks...I guess he COULD be mentioned among the possible SO's but I think that is highly far-fetched for this season. Now, here's where I'm going to lose all respectablity from Big 10 peeps. Even if he does put up huge #'s, he will be doing so in a weak/down conference. He'll have to blow up USC for any Heisman talk to ever take place IMHO. If he does that as a SO, which not doing so won't take away his potential to be a great player, he'll have a great chance to be great in conference play.

I didn't mean to sound like I meant you weren't objective about your school. You've made great predictions IMO. I would just disagree some with Pryor. Thanks for the discussion.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #21
Rookie

vexerr's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
My fault. I didn't mean to intend that you were annointing everyone. I wasn't clear on that, my fault. I just thought Pryor was a little high. You could very well be spot on though. Ohio St. has a great program with tons of depth and talented players so they should be rated highly.

I try to be objective and observant of other conferences and I've watch OSU many times. I kind of like OSU. I like Tressel. I don't doubt the potential of Pryor. Here's my look at how he should be ranked. I'm stepping out by comparing him to the likes of Vince Young. Is Pryor better at the same stage? Possibly since he played and started as a TR FR. They are very comparable due to their skillsets. It took Vince starting and taking over a bowl game to get him to that superstar status where it was easy to rate him highly the next season. That is not the case with Pryor. Him being so you allows an 87,88, or 89 rating to allow him to progress enough over the next season or two for him to easily reach that status. That make sense to me.

As for the Heisman talks...I guess he COULD be mentioned among the possible SO's but I think that is highly far-fetched for this season. Now, here's where I'm going to lose all respectablity from Big 10 peeps. Even if he does put up huge #'s, he will be doing so in a weak/down conference. He'll have to blow up USC for any Heisman talk to ever take place IMHO. If he does that as a SO, which not doing so won't take away his potential to be a great player, he'll have a great chance to be great in conference play.

I didn't mean to sound like I meant you weren't objective about your school. You've made great predictions IMO. I would just disagree some with Pryor. Thanks for the discussion.
Its perfectly okay. I'm at work, with little actual work to do, so it entertains me. ha.

As far as the Big Ten goes, yes it has been down the past few years, thats obvious, but its not as bad as people make it out to be. It's still better than both the ACC and Big East. It also as a whole plays much better defense than the Big 12. Last year the Big 12 was like watching MAC offenses with better talent. Points, points, points.

On the heisman talk, a lot of it stems from the fact that writers are expecting JT to let Pryor loose a little bit and that he will ahve to take over for OSU to be successful thanks to the loss of Beanie Wells. Itll be interesting to revisit this when A) the game comes out and B) at the end of the season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #22
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
Its perfectly okay. I'm at work, with little actual work to do, so it entertains me. ha.

As far as the Big Ten goes, yes it has been down the past few years, thats obvious, but its not as bad as people make it out to be. It's still better than both the ACC and Big East. It also as a whole plays much better defense than the Big 12. Last year the Big 12 was like watching MAC offenses with better talent. Points, points, points.

On the heisman talk, a lot of it stems from the fact that writers are expecting JT to let Pryor loose a little bit and that he will ahve to take over for OSU to be successful thanks to the loss of Beanie Wells. Itll be interesting to revisit this when A) the game comes out and B) at the end of the season.
Yet another thing I wasn't clear on. I definitely think the Big 10 is better than ACC/Big East. Even with Michigan so down. There is a drop off where your bottom 3 or 4 are just not very good. Your top teams can go with anyone. That has just been the past couple seasons though. I have seen many seasons where the Big Ten was as good as anybody from top to bottom.

As for Pryor again, I think it's just about him being comfortable and this past season should have helped there. If he can take that extra few seconds he has and hit a WR then he'll be soooo much more dangerous. That all comes with time.

It looks like we're doing some schedule flopping and we'll have a Big Ten team coming to Oxford this year. The early rumor was Penn St. but that was shot down. It's looking more and more like Indiana or possibly Illinois. Should know within a week or so they say.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #23
Rookie

nikka's Arena

OVR: 5

2010 Quarterback Projection

UF Tim Tebow - 99 OVR
OU Sam Bradford - 99 OVR
UT Colt McCoy - 99 OVR (Tough depends on EA 98 or 99)
OkSt Zac Robinson - 94 OVR
BYU Max Hall - 93 OVR (I think he returns)
CMU Dan LeFevour - 93 OVR
KU Todd Reesing - 92 OVR
USF Matt Grothe - 92 OVR
UO Jeremiah Massoli - 92 OVR
OM Jevan Snead - 92 OVR
UH Case Keenum - 91 OVR
OSU Terrelle Pryor - 91 OVR
BSU Kellen Moore - 91 OVR
ILL Juice Williams - 90 OVR
ND Jimmy Clausen - 90 OVR
VT Tyrod Taylor - 90 OVR
Old 01-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
MVP

stewart#28's Arena

OVR: 0

Oregon O
QB J Masoli 92 (impact)
RB L Blount 94 (impact)
WR J Maehl 86
WR J Holland 84
WR D Davis 79
TE Dickson 88
LG CE Kaiser 81
RG J Holmes 82
C H Stevens 77
LT B Thran 79
RT M Asper 77

Oregon D

DE W Tukuafu 89
DT T Celotto 81
DT B Ferras 79
DE K Rowe 86
OLB E Pleasant 81
MLB C Matthews 87
OLB S Paysinger 88
CB W Thurmond III 91 (impact)
CB T Jackson III 82
SS M Johnson 81
FS TJ Ward 87

K M Flint 84
P J Rice 77
12' 12-4

Last edited by stewart#28; 01-29-2009 at 06:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »