Home

EA, please give us ONE roster update for 2010

This is a discussion on EA, please give us ONE roster update for 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
EA, please give us ONE roster update for 2010

I know the standard line that they can't do roster updates because it would show they are using real players. This just isn't true. It's already blatantly obvious that they are using the real players, just without the names. So there is no reason they couldn't update the ratings of the players, while of course keeping their names off.

All I'm asking for, and I'm sure most people would be very happy with this, is ONE single roster update sometime in mid-December, after the regular season games have all been played in real life. We are all too familiar with how much changes from mid-July to mid-December. It would significantly add to the replayability of the game if rosters were updated to reflect changes. If you're like me, you play this game well after the real-life football season is over, and you would like to be able to use your favorite team and feel like it actually resembles the team you saw in real life.

Nebraska is an all-too-perfect example this season. The team that EA expected in July is drastically different from the one we saw on the field last season. Examples:

Ndamukung Suh (I mean, uh... DT #93) probably turned out to be our best player, offense or defense. Yet in the game, he is 84 OVR and second best DT.

Roy Helu emerged as our main running back, and one of our best offensive weapons. In the game, 81 OVR and fourth string.

Quentin Castille was one of the running backs who saw major playing time along with Helu. He's also black. In the game, a white fullback.

Cody Glenn (former RB) switched over to defense in the offseason and ended up being one of our best guys on defense, at linebacker. In the game, a backup running back with no defensive skills.

Mike McNeill emerged as our best TE without a doubt and was a formidable receiving threat. He isn't in the game.

Of course there were several other more minor changes, but those five really are big enough to nearly ruin playing with Nebraska in this game (for a Nebraska fan). All it would take is one roster update and I could be playing with the real 2008 Huskers for the next six months. Instead, I will likely avoid using them for the most part.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
MVP

Gossennator's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: EA, please give us ONE roster update for 2010

it would be nice, but it's not going to happen..already working on NCAA 10.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

OVR: 12

It's unlikely this series will ever see roster updates. To do so, EA & the NCAA would have to admit that the players are based on real players. Several producers have pretty much ruled out this possibility.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Rookie

How does that preclude them being able to do a roster update in December?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwendt
It's unlikely this series will ever see roster updates. To do so, EA & the NCAA would have to admit that the players are based on real players. Several producers have pretty much ruled out this possibility.
I don't see how they would have to admit anything. The roster update wouldn't have names, just like the original rosters don't have names. It wouldn't show anything that hasn't already been shown.

We all know the game has real players without the names. The chances that randomly generated rosters would come up as closely resembling the real teams' rosters as they do would be something like 1 in 100,000,000,000,000. Those are roughly the same odds that Jupiter is just a figment of our collective imagination.

In other words, it could be proven far beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law that they use real players. But apparently withdrawing the names is enough to keep EA safe. So there's no reason why they couldn't do roster updates.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Mo
SSN

Mo's Arena

OVR: 39

It really is as simple as, they just can't, case close.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Rookie

Actually it's closer to, they can but they just won't.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 24

I don't really see the incentive for EA to do so. Keep someone on staff to tweak the rosters of "fake players" none of the college games do that. On top of that you would have to have everyone renamed when the update comes out and you still have the "not real" players argument. Plus, with online dynasties having the ability to use custom rosters its not even a pressing point like in the past.

I just don't see the argument being strong enough that EA would consider it- IE sales.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »