Home

NCAA Negativity

This is a discussion on NCAA Negativity within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are People Too Critical of NCAA '09?
Yes - people are overly critical 47 37.60%
No - the responses are fair 60 48.00%
NO - people are too lenient with EA 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #33
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NCAA Negativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
[/i]running the ball no matter how hard you set the sliders on heisman is way to easy.
I disagree with this, but that's discussion for another thread. The only plays that sliders can't "destroy" are QB sneaks and plays where you can use a combination of play-action and Spectacular Catch or "Warp Catch".

The real problems with this game in terms of playing against the CPU are in the play calling logic, lack of weak side containment in man coverage, terrible punt and kick return coverage, and lack of a consistent deep passing offense to keep user defenses honest.

If the CPU actually called a good game and showed even a minor ability to learn tendencies and adjust, then this would probably be a good game. Without them, the gameplay is below average and needs house rules.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #34
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

I think that overall, as a group, the community is pretty fair towards the game. But I agree that there are a select few posters that take their negative rants too far, and at times, those people tend to be much more vocal than the people on the other end of the spectrum.

And I also agree that there's somewhat of a tendency to post negative things more than positive things. Whether you're looking for some sort of workaround to a problem, or just venting, you're more likely to come here posting something negative about the game than you are to come on and post about what a great time you're having.

Generally speaking though, I feel that most of the community members have realistic standards for what they want the game to be, and aren't just blindly negative.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #35
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I disagree with this, but that's discussion for another thread. The only plays that sliders can't "destroy" are QB sneaks and plays where you can use a combination of play-action and Spectacular Catch or "Warp Catch".

The real problems with this game in terms of playing against the CPU are in the play calling logic, lack of weak side containment in man coverage, terrible punt and kick return coverage, and lack of a consistent deep passing offense to keep user defenses honest.

If the CPU actually called a good game and showed even a minor ability to learn tendencies and adjust, then this would probably be a good game. Without them, the gameplay is below average and needs house rules.
it really boils down to how bad man coverage is. you can run any route or run play against it with success. its terrible and makes the game to easy.

as far as running i have the cpu d maxed hum run block at 0 and rb ability at 20 and its domination on the ground on heisman. i have all american backs every year and im not the best running team. all you have to do is block away and read the zone blocking. i run between the tackles mostly and no option plays. the running game is way to simple. people just need to learn how to read blocks and how and when to burst. my starting back was hurt alot this year but finished with 1200 yards in 10 games with 6.7 avg.. run D is pretty much a joke. even running in shotgun is money. nothing i can do to make it harder.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #36
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

Quote:
it really boils down to how bad man coverage is. you can run any route or run play against it with success. its terrible and makes the game to easy.

as far as running i have the cpu d maxed hum run block at 0 and rb ability at 20 and its domination on the ground on heisman. i have all american backs every year and im not the best running team. all you have to do is block away and read the zone blocking. i run between the tackles mostly and no option plays. the running game is way to simple. people just need to learn how to read blocks and how and when to burst. my starting back was hurt alot this year but finished with 1200 yards in 10 games with 6.7 avg.. run D is pretty much a joke. even running in shotgun is money. nothing i can do to make it harder.
Man defense when run by the CPU is terrible, I'll agree on that. The players don't adjust during the play at all, there are no pre-snap adjustments, and the coverage is extremely robotic and predictable. Users can run man defense quite well though.

As for running, at this point I believe RBA set to anything above 10 is going to be too easy. We're likely headed towards RBA at either 5 or 0 in our next OD season. With RBA at 20, we had players averaging 8+ ypc with the elite speed backs. So when you say nothing you can do to make it harder, lower RBA to 5 and bump RBK up from 0 and you'll average less per carry.

Still, on the topic of this thread it is kind of baffling to me how obvious these flaws were within the first few weeks of playing this game and that these kinds of things weren't able to be addressed pre-release OR in two patches.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 5

I think some people nit pick a little too much and complain about minor issues – shoe colors, lack of uniform options, etc. But overall I think people have been pretty fair. NCAA ’09 just isn’t a very good game. I played a game last night and during the game I decided to move my centers around on the depth chart – I spent 15 minutes trying to align my centers the way I wanted. The game wouldn’t let me reverse the order of the depth chart and the only way I could get it to work was to put a RE in the 3rd spot. Sorry, but that is unacceptable, the basic functions of the game should operate properly.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #38
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Man defense when run by the CPU is terrible, I'll agree on that. The players don't adjust during the play at all, there are no pre-snap adjustments, and the coverage is extremely robotic and predictable. Users can run man defense quite well though.

As for running, at this point I believe RBA set to anything above 10 is going to be too easy. We're likely headed towards RBA at either 5 or 0 in our next OD season. With RBA at 20, we had players averaging 8+ ypc with the elite speed backs. So when you say nothing you can do to make it harder, lower RBA to 5 and bump RBK up from 0 and you'll average less per carry.

Still, on the topic of this thread it is kind of baffling to me how obvious these flaws were within the first few weeks of playing this game and that these kinds of things weren't able to be addressed pre-release OR in two patches.
we had it at zero but that was before we raised everything on cpu D to 100. we have passing on 20 and rb ability on 20. everything else zero. having runblock on 0 takes the chop blocks and chop block misses out. gets rid of the clutter. not raising that. right now a 99 speed rb can get caught be a 93 speed anything. i think any lower and it will be to hard for the slow backs as they will lose their break block ability. its not speed getting us the yards its that its just to easy to run. the holes are giant. the key is having strong oline, had atleast two allamericans a year on my line and have blocking for pass and run at zero. strength equals pancakes equals big runs. just block away and find your hole. easy as pie. and you said it wasnt easy but your lowering your run block to 5 or 0? confused by that. also the lines already get push. by raising your oline block you just add suction.

yea they need to focus on tuning more. i know that bugs is priority but the tuning needs to take a front seat this year.

Last edited by thelasthurtknee; 02-19-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #39
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

Quote:
we had it at zero but that was before we raised everything on cpu D to 100. we have passing on 20 and rb ability on 20. everything else zero. having runblock on 0 takes the chop blocks and chop block misses out. gets rid of the clutter. not raising that. right now a 99 speed rb can get caught be a 93 speed anything. i think any lower and it will be to hard for the slow backs as they will lose their break block ability. its not speed getting us the yards its that its just to easy to run. the holes are giant. the key is having strong oline, had atleast two allamericans a year on my line and have blocking for pass and run at zero. strength equals pancakes equals big runs. just clock away and find your hole. easy as pie.

yea they need to focus on tuning more. i know that bugs is priority but the tuning needs to take a front seat this year.
If you have a great team though, then is 6 ypc really a bad thing? I thought you were talking about average halfbacks behind an average line rushing too easily. If you have a great running attack in college, then it should be pretty easy. Jahvid Best sure makes rushing look easy in real life behind the best Center in college football.

Ah screw it, getting off topic too much in this thread.

NCAA 09 is not a good game. I just wish people would stop bringing the negativity behind NCAA 09 into the NCAA 10 discussions. We don't know much about NCAA 10 yet and shouldn't be so quick to judge it. Most of the chronic problems in NCAA 09 were things that have already been announced as bug fixes for NCAA 10 or pretty minor fixes that should result in a huge difference in the game. The big question mark seems to revolve around gameplay and whether the CPU teams will function like they have any intelligence.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #40
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

I like the idea of this thread, rudy; keep all the negativity in one thread instead of like 30 a week. Good idea

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »