Home

Ncaa Ever Using Euphoria?

This is a discussion on Ncaa Ever Using Euphoria? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Pro

Bwnarrow3's Arena

OVR: 10
Ncaa Ever Using Euphoria?

Here is a topic that has interested me for the past few weeks. When I read Ign's preview of 2009 games this year, I stumbled upon the game "backbreaker" by natural motion. Now many of you probably know all about this and what they do, but for those who don't I will try to explain and give you a video to watch so you all can understand.

Backbreaker is a football game that uses "euphoria" to support it's gameplay engine. Euphoria is motion that is generated in real time. Unlike "ragdoll physics", that Ncaa has used in the past, Euphoria uses real time animations rather than keyframe animation or motion capture.

For the science nerds here, Euphoria combines artificial intelligence, biomechanics, and physics to create animations on the fly. The characters adapt specifically to what is happening to them.

See this link for more details. http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

Back to backbreaker. Backbreaker will use this technology in it's players animations which means that every single tackle will be different.

Let me say that again: Every single tackle will be different.

Also, this isn't just tackles, this is jukes, throwing mechanics, running, and more.

Now my questions are:

What do you think of "euphoria"?

Do you think ncaa will ever use this?

Do you think it would be a success if it did?

I don't know if this topic has been brought up on this forum already, but I find it very intriguing. Tell me what you think!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Ncaa Ever Using Euphoria?

Despite your honest intentions, this thread will probably get locked in a matter of hours as the ever so familiar battle ensues between those who swear Euphoria is the answer to all problems and those who swear that EA will never use it because Backbreaker is just a tech demo and thus that is somehow a reflection on the technology.

The truth lies somewhere in between. Euphoria is a solid game engine and NaturalMotion has developed some great technologies for game development. However, I don't think the engine is ready to deal with the player movements that exist in a football game.

The better route for now would probably be to use Endorphin for animation creation to help bridge the gap between Mo-Cap animations and physics based dynamic animations. I know that EA has the licensing for Endorphin, but I'm not sure if Tiburon is using it for Madden/NCAA.

If EA sticks to using mainly Mo-Cap for animations, then we'll never have the quantity needed to create a dynamic gameplay experience. If EA went the route of NaturalMotion and used only physics-based dynamic animations, then we would probably have a very dynamic experience but some unrealistic looking player interaction due to the "ragdoll" like model collisions.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

I believe EA is use that engine in other games non-sports related. I believe it was the engine for EA release "Mirrors Edge". So clearly EA is aware but I think it will be years b4 they use it in sports games if ever. And like YouAlreadyKnow pointed out the Body styles of that "BackBreaker" game is very realistic and would turn alot of people off.(me encluded)
Old 02-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Well since Madden is not going to Euphoria anytime soon, the means NCAA will not either.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Rookie

mAiLmAn 502's Arena

OVR: 6

at least one person a day makes this thread, and wants to start a conversation. talk of euphoria should be banned!! im sick of seeing the word.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Pro

Bwnarrow3's Arena

OVR: 10

What exactly is endorphin?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
What exactly is endorphin?
http://www.naturalmotion.com/endorphin.htm
Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Rookie

baden's Arena

OVR: 3

IMO we will never have a true next gen football game without real-time dynamic tackles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »