Home

Sliders EA training wheels

This is a discussion on Sliders EA training wheels within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Sliders EA training wheels

To the OP, you're wrong dude. When you factor in the fact that an 11 year old who knows nothing about football might play this game, he might need sliders. He might want to be able to catch every single pass, or pull off impossible juke moves.

Meanwhile, the rest of us might want a realistic game. IMO, this is also why wide open gameplay is stupid. I don't want YOU(EA) to force me to have to play my game a certain way. I should be able to play how I want to. This is why games such as College Hoops 2K8, last gen NCAA football is so great. Let the gamer who PAID for the game customize it to their liking.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14

I've played over 300 games on FIFA 09. Guess what? No Sliders!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
To the OP, you're wrong dude. When you factor in the fact that an 11 year old who knows nothing about football might play this game, he might need sliders. He might want to be able to catch every single pass, or pull off impossible juke moves.

Meanwhile, the rest of us might want a realistic game. IMO, this is also why wide open gameplay is stupid. I don't want YOU(EA) to force me to have to play my game a certain way. I should be able to play how I want to. This is why games such as College Hoops 2K8, last gen NCAA football is so great. Let the gamer who PAID for the game customize it to their liking.
There still will be levels to seperate novice from elite players. What i am saying is if players behave like competent athletes why do you need a slider to make them behave more realistic?

Madden has already said it is getting away from arcade stlye and NCAA usually follows suit. With everything becoming more "sim"
my questions is "Is it every really sim if they need sliders to fix game play"? Right now I would love to just pop in NCAA 10 and set it to heisman and be able to play without having to compensate for there inability to nail the AI and poor line play.

So back to my original question if its done right(and based on there plans to make EA sports games sim) is it right if you have to come behind them and adjust things with sliders. Speaking for myself i have never adjusted a slider because something was right. Every time you adjust something its to correct a problem. And the point i made before there are plenty of games we play that we cant adjust that arent prefect but because the AI is done right it isnt only playable its great! Theres no reason that this cant apply to sports game.

And look @ the slider chooses. QB accuracy, OL blocking, Defensives Awareness, Interceptions these are all things that should be affect by players abilities not sliders. If Game speed was a slider that might not be so bad. So if game sliders dictate how well players proform on field its do to a lack of AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexdawg
There still will be levels to seperate novice from elite players. What i am saying is if players behave like competent athletes why do you need a slider to make them behave more realistic?

Madden has already said it is getting away from arcade stlye and NCAA usually follows suit. With everything becoming more "sim"
my questions is "Is it every really sim if they need sliders to fix game play"? Right now I would love to just pop in NCAA 10 and set it to heisman and be able to play without having to compensate for there inability to nail the AI and poor line play.

So back to my original question if its done right(and based on there plans to make EA sports games sim) is it right if you have to come behind them and adjust things with sliders. Speaking for myself i have never adjusted a slider because something was right. Every time you adjust something its to correct a problem. And the point i made before there are plenty of games we play that we cant adjust that arent prefect but because the AI is done right it isnt only playable its great! Theres no reason that this cant apply to sports game.

And look @ the slider chooses. QB accuracy, OL blocking, Defensives Awareness, Interceptions these are all things that should be affect by players abilities not sliders. If Game speed was a slider that might not be so bad. So if game sliders dictate how well players proform on field its do to a lack of AI.
1. Sliders aren't only used to make players behave more realistic. Sliders are used to get realistic simulation statistics for both players and teams.

2. The current set of sliders that exist in NCAA are simply pathetic. It is universally known that there should be at least double the number of sliders in the game to properly tune player performance.

If you don't understand after the posts in this thread, then you just have a different opinion. Judging by all of your statements, you're not truly a hardcore sim gamer. You may think you want to see simulation gameplay and that's fine, but that isn't necessarily the target audience for sliders.

Just to paint a better picture, why do you think text based sports simulations have sliders? It clearly isn't for gameplay because there is no true "gameplay" element to these games. Sliders are for statistical output.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
1. Sliders aren't only used to make players behave more realistic. Sliders are used to get realistic simulation statistics for both players and teams.

2. The current set of sliders that exist in NCAA are simply pathetic. It is universally known that there should be at least double the number of sliders in the game to properly tune player performance.

If you don't understand after the posts in this thread, then you just have a different opinion. Judging by all of your statements, you're not truly a hardcore sim gamer. You may think you want to see simulation gameplay and that's fine, but that isn't necessarily the target audience for sliders.

Just to paint a better picture, why do you think text based sports simulations have sliders? It clearly isn't for gameplay because there is no true "gameplay" element to these games. Sliders are for statistical output.

Sliders are needed for the exact reasons you have posted and if someone is thinking otherwise then they are either uncompromising or/and too hardheaded to see why they should be in the game for "sim" gamers
Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6

Why is everybody taking a simple question so personal i have yet to question anybodies knowledge or disrespected anybodies opinion. So if you wanna continue with this level of respect respect me and my opinions. With that said nobodies answering the Question "IF EA gets it right and player play like there rating and the AI feels real why do we need sliders to adjust the level of reality" I hear you and understand just fine but sliders are in the game right now because the game isnt right. For example interceptions happen way to much because the player do things that will never happen in a real game. If EA would fix these "Un-Sim" issue and the interceptions happen just like they do in real life why do we need an interception slider?

And Answer the question dont just start talking about other stuff just answer that question!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow

I can understand on both sides here, but do you really need to say he isn't a hardcore sim gamer based off a few posts? People are allowed to have different opinions.

I understand his point about the sliders being more about ratings and AI, rather than tendencies and difficulty. If a WR catch rating is 67, then he should have bad hands, period. We shouldn't have to put catching at 0-15 to make it show.

I also understand EA makes the games simple out of the box for casual fans, so without sliders one side would probably be screwed.

It could be done without sliders, but they'd have to make more than 4 different levels of difficulty.

Now in a game like Basketball where you need tendencies, I think it would be impossible to make it without sliders.

However; if EA did make the ratings mean everything, rather than basing it off sliders that would be much better, IMO.

Funny thing is he made this thread in response to me in a different thread, but here I am sort of agreeing with him.

Youtube
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 26

ok simplely put EA is making strides to stop all the things that are cheese and non sim to help fix the gameplay. with all the new things that will be added it will be more of a sim game.

that being said some people are better on the sticks and reading the field then others. therefore they have rookie to all madden. BUT even the best players may find all madden to easy and cant produce a proper sim game. so we need sliders to fix the game to our level of play so it remains a sim.

i think i just repeated back what youalreadyknow has said but that answers your question of even if EA makes the perfect game it cant please everyone so we need sliders plus the different diffculties to please everyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »