Home

Who does the rosters & ratings anyways?

This is a discussion on Who does the rosters & ratings anyways? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Who does the rosters & ratings anyways?

Why not have 1 guy for each player? JK though that would be insane and we would most likely have the greatest roster ever.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #18
Rookie

justmanj's Arena

OVR: 12

I think the biggest point made here is that they have to predict a lot of things. You will never see an NCAA videogame match real life. That is why they need to allow custom rosters in unranked matches. Until that day comes, you will never see an NCAA game mirror real life. I remember in NCAA Football 03, the game had Maurice Clarrett in the game but was nowhere near the player that he played like in his one year with USC. I guess we will always have this problem with true freshman.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #19
Rookie

HawaiianRush's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Why not have 1 guy for each player? JK though that would be insane and we would most likely have the greatest roster ever.
No we wouldn't... If there was one guy for every player it would mess up the rosters if one guys thinks that 4:50 40 speed is 80 and another guy thinks that 4:50 speed is a 85 then the rosters will be inconstant also they would all have different ways of rating throw power and throw accuracy making the rosters probably one of the worst on NCAA football... OMG imagine that... having Tebow be a 97 ovr that would be a sin
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

Yeah, with how much they charge and the sales they do I don't see why they can't have two or three guys do the ratings. They would have to meet occasionally to make sure they are in line with each other.

One of the many reasons the speed is off is because the developers know speed is the only attribute that truly works in this game. Therefore, what they do to separate the good players from the bums is to make the good players fast and the scrubs slower. Their crappy programming makes it harder for them to give a scrub player 95 speed even though he is faster IRL than his all-conference counter part.

And I'm one for trying to write proper sentences. They are easier to read. Besides, you run the risk of developing bad writing habits when all you read is improper grammar. But whatever.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Na number 22 wasnt there last year and this year I had to make him so I know! It depends on where the put him on the game but assuming he stays at QB Shep probaly will be 84. Terrelle Pryor was like 84 so im guessing about the same for Shep.
McCluster was most definitely in for the 09 version. I think you are blowing a lot of smoke. Go back to the default rosters and see for yourself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

I downloaded my rosters right away so it could be that my downlading source was wrong and left him off!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
Rookie

NikB13's Arena

OVR: 6

I like the 1 person for each conference. it seems the big schools only have the "stud" freshman. im a beaver fan and JacQuizz Rodgers wasn't on the game. Hello OSU's biggest freshman recruit last year... and the NCAA freshman rushing leader, better stats than every freshman running back in the NCAA. C'mo do a lil better job than that. Hopefully Quizz will be in NCAA 10 lol
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSox05
Well you have to remember that there is 1 guy (I believe) doing 120 teams. He are also trying to predict how a lot of players are going to play, so it isnt exactly that easy. It is a lot easier for everyone of us to look at our favorite team and point out mistakes. But imagine having to know everything about 120 teams with 70 players on each team. With that said I would love to see better rosters but with the file share we can get fixes from roster makers.
This is really the problem. It is easy enough to point out who is wrong with YOUR team, but every other team?

But back to the topic at hand... this is something I do not like to discuss as far as saying "this guy does it" because ratings is one of those things that not only will you not please everyone, but in many cases people get very angry.

The last two years the rosters were done by an offsite contractor. However we realized that having someone offsite do the rosters was creating a lot of quality problems, so we did the right thing and hired a full time roster guy again. He really knows his stuff, so hopefully the rosters will be much better this year.

I know speed is really a big issue and how they correspond to 40 times, but that isn't 100% what we base it on. There is 40 speed and football speed that are quite different in real life and how the game engine works. Also, we have to keep speed ratings down on certain positions... an Offensive Tackle might run a 40 time that would warrant an 80 speed rating, but that would cause a lot of problems with gameplay.

With quarterbacks, we do have to tone down their speed as this creates serious exploits and ruins the game's online experience. A QB with 85 speed is enough of a problem to deal with, but give one a 92 or something and it gets out of hand. If we had 3 teams with 90+ rated quarterbacks, those would be the 3 most used teams online! I remember only using Kansas State online back in the day.

In summary... we do realize that the rosters the last few years have been below par, and hopefully with bringing on a full time roster guy this will change for NCAA 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »