Home

Speed Burst

This is a discussion on Speed Burst within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Speed Burst

Interesting discussion and I see where everyone is coming from. I think that the burst would be poorly implemented and possibly taken advantage of....for example a burst at the end of the play.

The best solution is the use of the analog stick (the further you press it the faster you go) but not everyone uses the analog stick. Another solution, I would think that would work is a sprint button that wears off. Let's say someone has a speed of 99...their actual unaided top speed (without a button) might be 95...but if you hold the sprint button he can accelerate to 99 but only for a limited period (10, 15, maybe 20 yds). after that he drops back to 95 (maybe even lower...93?).

As a former football player (WR, sometimes S at younger ages) i had a top speed (which would be my track speed) that i didn't play at all the time. if i returned a kick, was in the open field, running a fly pattern, or a post after sticking my foot, or playing zone def and making a play on a ball...i would play at that top (track) speed. otherwise i was running fast but not as fast as possible. it is impossible to play at your fastest speed for an entire play and definitely not back to back plays.

for a RB...you can use that burst (sprint) through the hole but can't sustain it the entire length of field. DB's can break on the ball, WR's can try to beat coverage or pull away from defenders.

of course stamina will affect how long a player can maintain top speed.

Last edited by atlyoungin; 03-19-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #42
Rookie

Zeppelin8's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin
Another solution, I would think that would work is a sprint button that wears off. Let's say someone has a speed of 99...their actual unaided top speed (without a button) might be 95...but if you hold the sprint button he can accelerate to 99 but only for a limited period (10, 15, maybe 20 yds). after that he drops back to 95 (maybe even lower...93?).
I think that's what they mean by saying burst.

I understand concerns about the term "burst". It sounds arcade, but I think most people here mean the same thing. Call it explosive speed?

I strongly agree that sprint button isn't a good fit anyway. It can be something temporary, maybe a special ability or something.

Last edited by Zeppelin8; 03-19-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #43
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin8

I understand concerns about the term "burst". It sounds arcade, but I think most people here mean the same thing. Call it explosive speed?

I strongly agree that sprint button isn't a good fit anyway. It can be something temporary, maybe a special ability or something.
Yeah I dont understand how so many "football" people can misinterperit the meaning of burst. Having a burst only allow people to get to there top speed. Once your at top speed you cant go any faster. Usually burst happen it the beginning or of running and you hardly ever see players burst more than once per play.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Yeah I dont understand how so many "football" people can misinterperit the meaning of burst. Having a burst only allow people to get to there top speed. Once your at top speed you cant go any faster. Usually burst happen it the beginning or of running and you hardly ever see players burst more than once per play.
Okay, got ya'll. It's just when you're talking "burst", in the video game world that translates to something like after-burners. I understand what "burst" means in the football world, but I think if you call it that it could end up being a disaster in a football game. Like people just using multiple "bursts" on one play and moving at light speed. But I dig what ya'll are saying.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #45
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Okay, got ya'll. It's just when you're talking "burst", in the video game world that translates to something like after-burners. I understand what "burst" means in the football world, but I think if you call it that it could end up being a disaster in a football game. Like people just using multiple "bursts" on one play and moving at light speed. But I dig what ya'll are saying.
It has been referred to as a burst pretty much all my football life! We used to call it having a "button" in high school but what would be an correct name for it?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
It has been referred to as a burst pretty much all my football life! We used to call it having a "button" in high school but what would be an correct name for it?
I agree...in real world it's called a burst. Or having a second gear...although it's really just top speed. I've never heard it called a "button" (wonder where you're from). I would still call it the "sprint" button on a video game, but just make it a temporary sprint (like in real life)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #47
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
I agree...in real world it's called a burst. Or having a second gear...although it's really just top speed. I've never heard it called a "button" (wonder where you're from). I would still call it the "sprint" button on a video game, but just make it a temporary sprint (like in real life)
Im from New Orleans! The term came from video games back then you pressed a button for speed. So when watching tv (especially film) you can see when somebody switched gears it was like them hitting the speed button!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 3

I agree that plays should not be routinely made when you are holding the sprint button.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »