Home

NCAA Football 10 Benched For Wii

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 10 Benched For Wii within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Rookie

GKEnialb's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: No NCAA 10 for the wii...

Quote:
Any sports game for that system is going to be dumbed down in a huge way in order to conform to that control scheme.
There's nothing about the control scheme that would require dumbing anything down. Madden's controls for the Wii are excellent -- there's just as many buttons to select receivers and the like as there are on the other consoles. NCAA had some problems throwing because of requiring you to hold a button while making the passing motion, but that's about it.

The reason it didn't sell well is because it got blasted in the reviews when it came out. It got blasted in the reviews because it was half-made. I believe it was half-made because they tried to bridge the gap between very casual gamer and sports enthusiast and couldn't do both by release time the way Madden has succeeded in doing. Focusing on things like the mascot game was a huge mistake -- my daughter played that once and thought it was too weird, but did like playing the regular game. On the other side of the coin, they seemed to make arbitrary cuts on the sim side of things like only being able to recruit 3 during the season and having very limited years in dynasty.

Last edited by GKEnialb; 03-22-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Rebel
One reason, well the major reason it doesn't sell well on the Wii is because it's a terrible game. The reason it's a terrible game is because the effort, or lack their of that EA has been putting in certain games.

Also, the reasoning behind the benching of Wii's version of NCAA isn't lack of sales.
EA may not have said that was the reason, but a cursory examination of last year's top 10 sales figures says otherwise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_in_video_gaming

Quote:
Best-selling video games of 2008 in the US (by platform)

PS3
  1. GTA IV
  2. MGS 4
  3. Madden NFL 09
  4. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  5. MLB 08 The Show
  6. Star Wars The Force Unleashed
  7. NCAA Football 09
  8. Army of Two
  9. Soulcaliber IV
  10. Devil May Cry 4

1. GTA IV
  2. Madden NFL 09
  3. Fable II
  4. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
  5. Army of Two
  6. Star Wars The Force Unleashed
  7. Battlefield: Bad Company
  8. NCAA Football 09
  9. Rock Band 2
  10. Ninja Gaiden II
Wii
  1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
  2. Mario Kart Wii
  3. Wii Fit
  4. Rock Band
  5. Lego Indiana Jones
  6. Super Sluggers
  7. Star Wars The Force Unleashed
  8. Deca Sports
  9. Endless Ocean
  10. unknown (?)
You don't have to have an MBA to see the obvious trend: the Wii didn't have a single traditional sports title in it's top 10. This despite the fact that Nintendo sold as many next-gen consoles in 2008 as MS and Sony did combined.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKEnialb
The reason it didn't sell well is because it got blasted in the reviews when it came out. It got blasted in the reviews because it was half-made.
Hmmmmm, I can't say I think the reviews really made a difference. The game was doomed by demographics. The NCAA game is always going to sell less than the pro game, and then couple that with the Wii's userbase not being interested in serious sports like 360/PS3 users are and it's a recipe for disaster.

Even Madden Wii hasn't sold great, it's improved but still not great. I knew NCAA didn't stand a chance and it's what I classify as a side-game. I'd rather they pool those resources to give to the important projects (Madden being the #1 project).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKEnialb
I believe it was half-made because they tried to bridge the gap between very casual gamer and sports enthusiast and couldn't do both by release time the way Madden has succeeded in doing. Focusing on things like the mascot game was a huge mistake -- my daughter played that once and thought it was too weird, but did like playing the regular game. On the other side of the coin, they seemed to make arbitrary cuts on the sim side of things like only being able to recruit 3 during the season and having very limited years in dynasty.
The reality is that any football game on the Wii is going to be made for the casual (perhaps VERY casual gamer) who neither cares nor has any concept of what sim is, and that's their target goal. They're really not trying to bridge the gap at all. When you see how silly and cutesy Madden Wii is, it tells you all you need to know. I'd be ashamed to even have that game in my house and anyone who caught me with it and said I had it in public would see me denying it like I'd been accused of murder.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
EA may not have said that was the reason, but a cursory examination of last year's top 10 sales figures says otherwise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_in_video_gaming

You don't have to have an MBA to see the obvious trend: the Wii didn't have a single traditional sports title in it's top 10. This despite the fact that Nintendo sold as many next-gen consoles in 2008 as MS and Sony did combined.
JUST To Tell U Halo 3 and COD5 are on that List.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6
A top-10 list with an entry labeled (unknown?) does not strike me as the most credible source. Call me crazy, but...

Good sports games on Wii sell. See the Madden, Tiger, FIFA, and PES franchises. Crap sports games don't sell. See 2k's library (all of it), NBA 09 and NCAA 09.

EA realized their game was crap. It was poorer quality than their NCAA games for Gamecube from 5 years ago. Taking a year off to figure out how to fix it seems like such an obvious call that it's hard to consider it news.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NCAA Football 10 Benched For Wii

FWIW, I took a look at the features and reviews for Wii NCAA, then watched some videos and decided it was not nearly worth what EA was charging.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 34
The wii, to me, was a horrid disappointment. I traded it in for more 360 games within 2 months of having it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11
The statement that the Wii can't have good sports game is is a sign of laziness or bias. We've already seen some very solid games (Madden, Tiger Woods, Power Pros, PES), and I'm sure that many more are on the way.

And did some one use the terms "sim" and "Madden" together? Not even Madden on the 360/PS3 is truly "sim," so please don't front. IMO, Wii Madden has a few great attributes that make it stand up just fine to the other versions.

EA canned this year's NCAA because the product is pure garbage AND it didn't sell well. If it still sold, even though the quality was poor, we'd see another iteration this year. I'm a huge college football fan, but even I wouldn't touch last year's version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »