Home

I think it's time to eliminate RT/LT, RG/LG, LOLB/ROLB, LE/RE

This is a discussion on I think it's time to eliminate RT/LT, RG/LG, LOLB/ROLB, LE/RE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: I think it's time to eliminate RT/LT, RG/LG, LOLB/ROLB, LE/RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
I'd argue there is a big difference between those positions... Mainly LT and RT in my opinion.

But more to your point, we've been look at making the CPU actually put that second 92 LOLB at ROLB (using your example) in Dynasty.
True, but in all honesty, for a video game (and yes, I'm as SIM as it gets), I think this should be simplified.

Gs, Ts, OLBs, DBs, etc. That's my view. Heck....let's put enough slots on our depth chart so if I have 8 WRs, I can have all 8 listed on my depth chart...so that if I go past that 6th spot the CPU will put my 7th or 8th WR in...not a DB or Safety at WR.

There are other issues that need to be addressed that are more pressing depth chart/sub-wise that could be avoided by simplifying the positions (slightly, not taking much away "sim wise") and adding slots IMO.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Thanks, Russell. This will be a big help in making the dynasty's more competitive.

Just some suggestions that you've probably thought of already, but there still should be some penalty for some moves, just not as harsh.
-A FS that doesn't tackle well could drop a little due to TAK and STR when moved to SS. It shouldn't be much, and I don't even think AWA should take a hit. I think any positions in the Def. backfield should be pretty easily interchangeable.

-OLB moving to MLB. Obiviously STR should cause a little bit of a drop but not a lot of SPD nor OVR. Very few OVR points should be lost. As it currently is, it's too much.

-DE's should be in the options for TE in the depthchart.

-WR to DB. There should be some awareness drop so I can see this being penalized moreso than just shifting DB's. Its seems STR drops a lot when moving a WR to DB.

-DE to DT shouldn't result in the loss of STR but STR should be the main factor that causes them to be penalized in the move.

-HB to FB. Size, STR, Blocking Abilities should definitely be required. Some SPD should be lost because it is cheese to have 95 SPD FB's.

Also, in our OD, there is a 5'9" 164 lbs. HB that has BTK in the 80's and TRK in the low 90's. Please applicate proper sizes with skillsets/player-types.

Thanks for coming on the board and best of luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Yes but you don't need to have separate positions listed to handle this. The difference between LT and RT is only based on their skill sets and not because it's actually a different position. Playing tackle in football isn't really that different whether you are playing the left side or right side. The big difference is the skill of the player and not the awareness or instinct to play the position.

Isn't that the whole point of creating a unique position in a roster set? Playing RB is very different than playing safety but playing Left Tackle vs. Right Tackle isn't. The only real difference is how good a pass protector you are. The attributes of the player should handle that.
Absolutely. You are going to put your best Tackle at left tackle. The tackle positions also have to be interchangeable parts. It is often that the starting RT is better than the back-up LT. So in a game if the LT gets hurt they will rotate the starting RT over to the LT position and then bring in the next best player to play RT.

Also, it is more valid in the NFL than NCAA that the left tackle is the most important position on the OL. In High School and NCAA many would argue that the Center is the most important player on the OL.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #20
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
True, but in all honesty, for a video game (and yes, I'm as SIM as it gets), I think this should be simplified.

Gs, Ts, OLBs, DBs, etc. That's my view. Heck....let's put enough slots on our depth chart so if I have 8 WRs, I can have all 8 listed on my depth chart...so that if I go past that 6th spot the CPU will put my 7th or 8th WR in...not a DB or Safety at WR.

There are other issues that need to be addressed that are more pressing depth chart/sub-wise that could be avoided by simplifying the positions (slightly, not taking much away "sim wise") and adding slots IMO.
And as UN-SIM as this game is, why would that distinction matter to anyone at EA?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
NCAA Football 10 Designer

Russell_Kiniry_EA's Arena

OVR: 12

Agreed, in the game it is not as much of a difference as it should be.

However, knowing that the CPU will handle the situation as any of you would; I would hope that would mean we no longer need to remove the positions from the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #22
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

Quote:

However, knowing that the CPU will handle the situation as any of you would; I would hope that would mean we no longer need to remove the positions from the game
Also, in college some OL coaches have the philosophy of short side and wide side of the field. Maybe called something different.

My neighbor across the street played on the 93 FSU national championship team and played guard. Not right guard or left guard, he played guard. He lined up at left or right depending on where the ball was spotted on the short side or wide side of the field. Same thing went with right and left tackle. The only player that stayed the same was the center. Many teams, though it is less than the common practice these days, still use this philosophy.

So... for NCAA the classification of LG/RG, and LT/RT makes no sense. It does for the NFL, but not NCAA.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #23
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Heck, Florida changes the line splits depending on their opponent. That would probably be too hard to get in the game. A lot of spread teams use wider splits though.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:

I think its great that you addressed this issue. While it is different than what the original poster proposed it is at least one way to get to the same end point. Ideally, it works as intended and the CPU rosters are in much better shape. Thanks for addressing one of the most irritating problems in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »