Home

Cutting players?

This is a discussion on Cutting players? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Cutting players?

Also, this could all be fixed by having a solid recruiting format.

If players would actually take into account the roster of the teams recruiting them you wouldn't have to worry about teams with 6 QBs or 9 WRs etc. If you had players evaluating situations then you could reduce situations where you get overloaded at a single position and end up cutting guys that were 5* recruits etc.

Another idea would be for more players to not qualify and come back as JC players... the same could be done for cut players... instead of having them cut and disappear they would transfer to another program.

One thing needed to be considered though is that without D-IAA the players that get cut or told that they don't have a future with the team would typically transfer down a division so they could keep playing (Brandon Jacobs, Rhett Bomar did this and it occurs quite often).

Perhaps having the players that were cut transfer to another program could be good... but that would mean another round of cuts.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

I agree the roster limits really hampers things here. I shouldn't be required to carry a 3rd SS when I already have 2 and another 3 FS on my roster.

I like the idea of if you cut a player he goes to another school. Another thing I would like to see is if you cut a player you recruited then your coach integrity rating takes a hit. It doesn't matter whether he is an incoming freshman or whether you cut him in entering his senior year. That player was hoping to be there for 4 years or until he decides to leave. Other recruits would see this pattern and would be slightly less likely to take a chance playing for a coach that loves to cut players. This would also force us to think about over-recruiting. You would be able to cut players already on the roster before you took over as well as guys who walked on while you were there.

What we've done in our OD is to limit each user team to 18 signees per year. Since we only have a 70-man roster, the most we would sign over a four year period with that limit is 72. It also helps the weak cpu AI recruiting a little by leaving a handful of other blue chippers in the pool for them to recruit.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Old 04-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodawg03
I think what needs to be changed is the fact that you can cut incoming freshman... if they accepted an offer and signed a LOI then they have at least one year of a scholarship at your school.

What should be done is to have the ability to offer a walk-on status instead of just having them come in and fill spots... if they got rid of required numbers for positions then it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, if they changed the cut period to make it so that you were cutting from your returning players it would be much more realistic because you would have to make room for players you offered and gave you a commitment.

They could also bring in the idea of doing a Gray shirt which would delay a players enrollment until the following winter and they wouldn't count against your total of 70... or they could just up the roster to the actual 85 scholarships.... if its in the game right?
These are great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodawg03
Also, this could all be fixed by having a solid recruiting format.

If players would actually take into account the roster of the teams recruiting them you wouldn't have to worry about teams with 6 QBs or 9 WRs etc. If you had players evaluating situations then you could reduce situations where you get overloaded at a single position and end up cutting guys that were 5* recruits etc.

Another idea would be for more players to not qualify and come back as JC players... the same could be done for cut players... instead of having them cut and disappear they would transfer to another program.

One thing needed to be considered though is that without D-IAA the players that get cut or told that they don't have a future with the team would typically transfer down a division so they could keep playing (Brandon Jacobs, Rhett Bomar did this and it occurs quite often).

Perhaps having the players that were cut transfer to another program could be good... but that would mean another round of cuts.
Yep, it blows that players often don't seem to take into account a huge overload at a position.

As for what to do with cut players, rather than have them disappear, I think having them come back (as JUCO) in the next class is a good idea. But they would probably have to add somethere where there's no way they would come back to the school that cut them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 4

The problem with the idea that cutting a player knocking down your coaching integrity is that there is no attrition in the program.

The only reason teams can continually take classes near 25 scholarships is because players leave the program each year for a number of reasons (pro's, graduation, transfer, going to culinary school, etc.) so without the effect of players that see they will not make it at the school simply leaving... and having Walk-Ons count against your 70 roster spots (in the real game you have 85 scholarships and walk-ons don't count so teams can have rosters of over 100... you can just dress a certain number at home and travel a certain number).

I think it would be great if players just had "leaving school" next to their name at the end of the season so you would have to actually plan for attrition... maybe players address concerns during the season so you might have a bit of foresight into whether they may leave.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »