Home

Is the dreaded "Greased Pig Animation" still in NCAA 10?

This is a discussion on Is the dreaded "Greased Pig Animation" still in NCAA 10? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #33
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Is the dreaded "Greased Pig Animation" still in NCAA 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
??? If a defender is going full stride towards the ball carrier, then won't he be running into this ball carrier (and likely running over them)?
Not necessarily, a poor defender (which is the case in this example) will run where he thinks the ball carrier is going. If the ball carrier changes direction at the right moment then the previously mentioned action will occur.

Usually this happens when the defender is making a huge commitment to lay out the ball carrier and doesn't take into account if that ball carrier will change direction. As a former linebacker I can say I've done this a few times myself.

Quote:
Show me an example of real world footage where a player is running full speed towards a ball carrier or receiver, then stumbles on their own feet, then gives that ball carrier a speed burst while creating ZERO contact between the players.
I don't have any youtube examples nor do I intend on looking for some, but I've played football for many years and I have seen this kind of poor tackling happen first hand.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #34
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

This never happens to me. Maybe I will see this more now that I have read this thread. But I don't press any buttons when chasing from behind. If you guys are pressing some tackle button rather than just sprinting until you overtake the ballcarrier, it wouldn't surprise me if you see this more often.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #35
All Star

OVR: 33

You don't have to press any buttons. Just run up from behind, and your player will go for the tackle and miss completely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #36
Rookie

GigemAGGIES13's Arena

OVR: 5

If this thread was created in December or January, I doubt we would be witnessing plays like that in 10.

Unfortunately, unless the devs corrected it on their own accord, it'll be popping up this year. I've personally only had that animation trigger twice in a row, at the most, but it is definitely not executed properly. If it didn't give the guy the speed burst it wouldn't be near as bad.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:24 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 35

Lol wow, im not a NCAA gamer and seeing this type of stuff makes me glad i dont.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #38
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

It wasn't something I saw on every play, much like the broken pursuit angles (which could look really bad if you tried to exploit it). But the "greased pig" animation and the goofy pursuit angles both need to be fixed and replaced with something more realistic. They said they fixed the pursuit angles so we shall see this year. I know Ian had said the pursuit angle issue was more of an NCAA problem.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #39
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

You know, I think this may be fixed in NCAA 10. In the pursuit angle blog, they mentioned that the old logic would make the CPU defenders continuously change direction, and possibly stumble, whenever the user made jerky movements. That problem was fixed, so maybe that in turn fixes the greased pig problem.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #40
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit
Not necessarily, a poor defender (which is the case in this example) will run where he thinks the ball carrier is going. If the ball carrier changes direction at the right moment then the previously mentioned action will occur.

Usually this happens when the defender is making a huge commitment to lay out the ball carrier and doesn't take into account if that ball carrier will change direction. As a former linebacker I can say I've done this a few times myself.

I don't have any youtube examples nor do I intend on looking for some, but I've played football for many years and I have seen this kind of poor tackling happen first hand.
You have seen a missed tackle in real life that leads to a speed burst by the ball carrier?

Again... please show me this footage. If you can't produce the footage, just explain based on the laws of physics how you transferred enough energy to the other player to actually increase their speed.

It's not possible. It's not realistic. Stop trying to defend a broken animation people, especially when the NCAA staff already knows it is broken.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »