Home

Not all about Speed(long)

This is a discussion on Not all about Speed(long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #25
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Not all about Speed(long)

Speed kills

It seems like they definitely are trying to fix that with the better pursuit angles and such but, I like the original poster would like to see less higher speed guys and the idea to tier speed. Maybe not setting the cut off at 93 but, more like 95 or 96 and only have a handfull of guys over that. The tiers could be like 97-99, 92-96, 88-91, and so on.

I also like the fact pertaining to the RB's and WR's route running that a high 90's ACC and average 88-90 SPD should be a better player at that position.

My biggest concern is the number of elite speedsters in the recruiting classes. There should only be like 3 guys in that top tier and the number of recruits can increase with each tier down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The NFL still doesn't have true electronic timing and players are also faster today than they were 10-15 years ago. Do you think I'm supposed to change my opinion based on what 4 guys say on a message board? You think an adjusted 4.5 back then is slow?

I'm not close minded but I live near Detroit and watched a lot of Barry Sanders. The guy was flat out fast. To suggest he was easy to catch from behind is wrong. Early in his career, he was lightning all around. Sometimes he could get caught from behind only because a 60 yard run was more like 120 yards all over the field and he would get tired.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. But I'll believe my own eyes and not four guys I don't know. Plus I have the stopwatch on my side. No way anyone runs a 4.37 40 yard time and not have good top end speed. Acceleration isn't that powerful.
LOL, your own eyes? You mean your own biased Detroit fan eyes? Sounds like solid evidence. I guess I should believe every Laker fan who believes Kobe is better than MJ, too.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special27K
Speed kills

It seems like they definitely are trying to fix that with the better pursuit angles and such but, I like the original poster would like to see less higher speed guys and the idea to tier speed. Maybe not setting the cut off at 93 but, more like 95 or 96 and only have a handfull of guys over that. The tiers could be like 97-99, 92-96, 88-91, and so on.

I also like the fact pertaining to the RB's and WR's route running that a high 90's ACC and average 88-90 SPD should be a better player at that position.

My biggest concern is the number of elite speedsters in the recruiting classes. There should only be like 3 guys in that top tier and the number of recruits can increase with each tier down.
I agree with this. I'm a big believer (especially if they're including historic players like Barry and such) in having 99 = the very best ever. So you make the historic players, then compare the guys we have in the game now. Example: Barry would have 99 agility. Perhaps the most agile guy in the game right now would be Noel Devine. Not quite as agile as Barry (who is?), but still great. so he gets a rating of 96 or 97 agility. Who's the fastest (on the field) guy ever? Deion Sanders maybe? Bo Jackson? I don't know for sure, I'm sure there would be some debate. Holliday and the Florida guys are track-fast, but definitely not as fast in pads. So Deion or Bo gets the 99 speed, the fastest guy in CFB today (Jahvid Best maybe) gets 96-97. Who would be 99 break tackle? Hershel Walker maybe? The best guy this season might not even be close to that and may only have 90 BTK. And so on and so forth. IMO, if it was done this way it would leave to door open for recruiting to the point where there could be very, very few super-special recruits out there. So instead of having 10 guys in a recruiting class who are 96-99 in speed, agility, and acceleration, maybe you have one or two, and if you find one guy who is 98-99 in all he has the chance to be a really, really good player instead of just being the replacement for the other guy who is leaving that had those same attributes.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #28
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderRatedCoast
I agree with this. I'm a big believer (especially if they're including historic players like Barry and such) in having 99 = the very best ever. So you make the historic players, then compare the guys we have in the game now. Example: Barry would have 99 agility. Perhaps the most agile guy in the game right now would be Noel Devine. Not quite as agile as Barry (who is?), but still great. so he gets a rating of 96 or 97 agility. Who's the fastest (on the field) guy ever? Deion Sanders maybe? Bo Jackson? I don't know for sure, I'm sure there would be some debate. Holliday and the Florida guys are track-fast, but definitely not as fast in pads. So Deion or Bo gets the 99 speed, the fastest guy in CFB today (Jahvid Best maybe) gets 96-97. Who would be 99 break tackle? Hershel Walker maybe? The best guy this season might not even be close to that and may only have 90 BTK. And so on and so forth. IMO, if it was done this way it would leave to door open for recruiting to the point where there could be very, very few super-special recruits out there. So instead of having 10 guys in a recruiting class who are 96-99 in speed, agility, and acceleration, maybe you have one or two, and if you find one guy who is 98-99 in all he has the chance to be a really, really good player instead of just being the replacement for the other guy who is leaving that had those same attributes.
Holliday and Demps Ford for that matter are fast in pads and are 99 im sorry but I do like the idea! Just give Holliday Agi low numbers Demps low vision Ford low Route running and catching. And if all the other rating means something speed should mean less. But if you dont think any one of those dudes would burn Deion in his prime you need to watch more film. LOL

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Holliday and Demps Ford for that matter are fast in pads and are 99 im sorry but I do like the idea! Just give Holliday Agi low numbers Demps low vision Ford low Route running and catching. And if all the other rating means something speed should mean less. But if you dont think any one of those dudes would burn Deion in his prime you need to watch more film. LOL
Okay, enough with the homer posts. Just because you like a team or a player doesn't automatically make them the fastest. Sorry!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 7

What could possibly make Holliday/Demps the fastest then?

If

(A) track times are misleading because it's "track speed, not football speed",

(B) 40 times are impossible to rely on (----and, on this point, I agree - there's no universal, fully automatic, system or method for timing. "40 times" are often just word of mouth too)

(C) no one can tell by eye who is fastest because we all harbor personal biases (except, of course, UnderRatedcoast)

then let's just say we're in the dark epistemically - we just can't know the answer, nor can we even hope to. All possible methods for gaining knowledge of relative speed are closed to us.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 7

though, to be fair, I agree with your post about Deion/Bo for the most part.

I just don't see Deion keeping up with Demps, tbh. Demps is the fastest American ever for his age.

Yes, track time, but what other measure do we have?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
though, to be fair, I agree with your post about Deion/Bo for the most part.

I just don't see Deion keeping up with Demps, tbh. Demps is the fastest American ever for his age.

Yes, track time, but what other measure do we have?
I agree...I'd put any amount of money on Holiday or Demps on the track, but put cleats and a helmet on a guy, plus the possibility of contact and guys slow down. It's understandable...some guys are able to play a game at 100% speed, and some people don't. That's one of the reasons why Holliday's longest run of his career is only 39 yards, and he doesn't have a good kick return average. Now Demps may eventually be the 99 speed guy (another thing that needs to change in the game...people DO get faster once they get to college), but looking at his freshman year he doesn't always play at full speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »