Home

Do we take the word "sim" too far?

This is a discussion on Do we take the word "sim" too far? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do we as OSers take the definition of "sim" too far?
Much too far 11 22.45%
A bit too far 25 51.02%
No we don't 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Do we take the word "sim" too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagatorfan
I get so annoyed when people overuse the term sim and cheese. I do not like players that go for it constantly on 4th down and chuck it deep everytime but as long as the game is designed so that I have a counter for these plays I can get over it. Problem is the past years in NCAA there hasnt necessarily been counters.
You should have to counter those plays they shouldnt work in the 1st place thats the problem!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Peench
I'm sitting here watching a replay of the USC vs. PSU Rose Bowl, and have witnessed many things most of us would deem "cheese" in just watching about 10 minutes of this game. First of all, I've seen about three QB sneaks from Sanchez on 3rd and short situations nowhere near the goal line. I saw another sneak that Sanchez ran while they were up 31-7 in the 3rd quarter on 4th and 1 just inside PSU territory. I for one would be irate if I had someone run this on me given the situation.
I voted for "much too far". There is nothing wrong with the sneaks you described Those situations are exactly what sneaks are in the playbook for!

I hate the term "sim" as applied to play styles to begin with. To me it makes sense to describe a game as a simulation vs arcade. It doesn't make sense to call a play style "sim". I guess it's the accepted term and I just have to live with it. Maybe if most people who complained about "sim" issues had a clue about what constitues cheese and what makes sense to implement in a video game, the term wouldn't bother me as much.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I remember when Tim Couch 1st came into the league and they interviewed him. He said they only ran 9-12 plays the entire season!

Yep...Hal Mumme/Mike Leach's Airraid is based on a few core plays repeated endlessly.

You can look at it like Paul Johnson's option attack, or June Jone's (/Mouse Davis'/Tiger Ellison's/etc.) Run and Shoot. It's systematic simplicity, with a precise set of answers to what a defense can do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
Yep...Hal Mumme/Mike Leach's Airraid is based on a few core plays repeated endlessly.

You can look at it like Paul Johnson's option attack, or June Jone's (/Mouse Davis'/Tiger Ellison's/etc.) Run and Shoot. It's systematic simplicity, with a precise set of answers to what a defense can do.
yup. Leach keeps the plays he wants to call on a small piece of paper. like this.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Peench
I'm a sim guy like most of you all, however, I sometimes think we take that definition too far. I'm sitting here watching a replay of the USC vs. PSU Rose Bowl, and have witnessed many things most of us would deem "cheese" in just watching about 10 minutes of this game. First of all, I've seen about three QB sneaks from Sanchez on 3rd and short situations nowhere near the goal line. I saw another sneak that Sanchez ran while they were up 31-7 in the 3rd quarter on 4th and 1 just inside PSU territory. I for one would be irate if I had someone run this on me given the situation.

Additionally, I would have to say a majority of throws made by both QBs that I've seen have been on the run. Lastly, I've seen a ton of screens in the little I've watched of the game. I know when people run too many slip screens or wr screens in NCAA 09 people tend to get heated...

So what do you guys think? Do we take "SIM" too far?
Here's the difference: When a QB throws on the run it's either a called rollout and there is a blocking scheme for it, or he's being pursued out of the pocket and doesn't do it every single play. And there are ways to gameplan against this in real life using normal, functional defense. In the game you can try and have fast DEs and pick QB contain, but a smart cheezer will read this and when the DEs flair out, they can sit in the pocket all day with 5 blockers against a 2 man pass rush. The other thing is that QB accuracy takes a big hit in real life when a QB is on the run, and most QBs have a drop off in QB rating while throwing from outside the pocket. I'd bet if they could split the stats between in the pocket and out of the pocket throws in the game, outside the pocket throws would have a better rating. But there are some teams and players, like Oregon with Masoli and OSU with Pryor who give the QB one or two reads and have them take off running if nothing is open. Except in the game it happens with every fast QB and every user controlled team.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Strong skewing of the questions where there are two yes options and only one "no" option, jackass...
Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderRatedCoast
But there are some teams and players, like Oregon with Masoli and OSU with Pryor who give the QB one or two reads and have them take off running if nothing is open.
That's what App State does too. It's really interesting.

The play call is normal, so everyone runs routes, but they pick him a WR to look at based on what the defense is showing. If that guy isn't there, GO!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #16
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by limewirethief
Strong skewing of the questions where there are two yes options and only one "no" option, jackass...
Skewing of the questions? Excuse me? I'm not skewing anything. I asked a question to the community, and have provided what I believe to be a sufficient poll to answer that question. There will obviously never be an answer to satisfy every opinion, but thats what the forum is for.

And no need for names, sir.

Edit: See this guy just joined OS in April and he's already throwing fastballs. Man, this community has been going downhill recently...

Last edited by I Peench; 04-22-2009 at 05:51 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »