Home

Kill the sprint button!

This is a discussion on Kill the sprint button! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Kill the sprint button!

Yeah yeah its too late to do anything to 10 ,but come on the idea of holding down the sprint button the entire play irks me everytime I play. If you can do it all play with no kind of penalties why not just make it apart of the normal movement and free up a button? If a player can run in a straight line long enough he will(and should) reach top speed on his own. Player usually have a small burst and/or second gear that they time to get through holes or close out on tackles but there is entirely to much changing direction in football for players to be sprinting all play its just a silly idea by EA devs. to think this is a good idea to have this button.

Instead have it like most games the more you press the analog stick the faster that player moves. Have a button that gives players a quick burst only which helps them get to there top speed once your player is at top speed the burst will be useless. Any jukes, cuts ,or change in direction will have a negative effect on the speed your traveling base on a) the type of juke, cut ,or change of direction and b) that players ratings.

Until every rating counts and there concept of speed changes. Speed will give any player in unfair advantage. Some players like Jahvid Best are a rare combonation of speed and quickness and can cut ,juke ,and/or change directions with little effect on his speed while players like Trindon Holliday(even though his speed translate well to football) who are just speed guys and struggle to change direction and return to top speed as quickly.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-22-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Kill the sprint button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Yeah yeah its too late to do anything to 10 ,but common on the idea of holding down the sprint button the entire play irks me everytime I play. If you can do it all play with no kind of penalties why not just make it apart of the normal movement and free up a button? If a player can run in a straight line long enough he will(and should) reach top speed on his own. Player usually have a small burst and/or second gear that they time to get through holes or close out on tackles but there is entirely to much changing direction in football for players to be sprinting all play its just a silly idea by EA devs. to think this is a good idea to have this button.

Instead have it like most games the more you press the analog stick the faster that player moves. Have a button that gives players a quick burst only which helps them get to there top speed once your player is at top speed the burst will be useless. Any jukes, cuts ,or change in direction will have a negative effect on the speed your traveling base on a) the type of juke, cut ,or change of direction and b) that players ratings.

Until every rating counts and there concept of speed changes. Speed will give any player in unfair advantage. Some players like Jahvid Best are a rare combonation of speed and quickness and can cut ,juke ,and/or change directions with little effect on his speed while players like Trindon Holliday(even though his speed translate well to football) who are just speed guys and struggle to change direction and return to top speed as quickly.
I kind of like where you're going with it. Maybe something like as a RB finds the hole, hits the hole with momentum and gradually picks up speed until he's at his full rating. Then, as he cuts or makes a juke his speed and acceleration are cut again and the process starts all over.

SOmething like that?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

The problem isn't the sprint button itself. It's good to have a button to differentiate between a player moving and a player trying to run as fast as he can.

The problems is that runner can change direction too easily while sprinting, and do other things like tackle too easily while sprinting. That's the part they should fix. A secondary problem they should fix is that players can sprint for the entire length of the play (no matter how long the play) without slowing down due to fatigue.

Last edited by TrevJo; 04-22-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
The problem isn't the sprint button itself. It's good to have a button to differentiate between a player moving and a player trying to run as fast as he can.

The problems is that runner can make huge cuts while sprinting. That's the part they should fix. A secondary problem is that they can sprint for the entire length of the play (no matter how long the play) without slowing down due to fatigue.
I have played enough games where you can run ,jog ,walk and creep using the analog stick if you wanna slow up ease off the analog stick.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Yeah yeah its too late to do anything to 10 ,but common on the idea of holding down the sprint button the entire play irks me everytime I play. If you can do it all play with no kind of penalties why not just make it apart of the normal movement and free up a button? If a player can run in a straight line long enough he will(and should) reach top speed on his own. Player usually have a small burst and/or second gear that they time to get through holes or close out on tackles but there is entirely to much changing direction in football for players to be sprinting all play its just a silly idea by EA devs. to think this is a good idea to have this button.

LOL...Me and 2 guys at work were JUST saying the same thing. Why do we need a sprint button? Without it, the game would only be BETTER. IRL, players dont magically get to full speed at will. it takes time and is based on the individual player.

I dont see how it would be so hard just to scrap it altogether. Most sports games nowadays are dropping the "sprint" button, or as i like to call it "TURBO".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

Quote:
I have played enough games where you can run ,jog ,walk and creep using the analog stick if you wanna slow up ease off the analog stick.
If you're suggesting that a user should have to ease up on the analog stick any time they want to move without trying to run full speed, then I totally disagree.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
IRL, players dont magically get to full speed at will. it takes time and is based on the individual player.
Acceleration should still be a factor when the sprint button is used. I'm not sure the game does that part well.
But in real life terms, if I am not trying to run full speed, I should never get to full speed, I should max out at maybe 3/4 speed. And, if I am starting from 0, how soon I get to 3/4 speed should depend on my effort. That is why the sprint button should be there.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

i totaly agree with this thread. bravo! sprint buttons shouldn't be in sports games period. i like what nhl 09 did removing them. not opposed in general to the idea of removing it all together. that way a players acceleration rating really means something

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »