Home

Squib kicks?

This is a discussion on Squib kicks? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #33
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Squib kicks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the onizzle
Is that settling? Absolutely. But what if other elements of special teams were just left out. What if there was no fake field goal, or fake punt?
There are lots of elements of special teams that are left out. Surprise onside kicks, as noted earlier. Being able to return kickoffs that land in the end zone. Reverse kickoff returns. Some of the interesting punt formations you see in college football. Kickoffs with the coverage team shifted to the kick side at the start. Just to name a few. Not saying it's right, just pointing it out.

Squib kick might be as important as fake field goals and fake punts. But you wouldn't settle for a fake field goal attempt that was the same every time, or a fake punt attempt that was the same every time. So why settle for it with squib kicks?

Like bigwill33, I'd like to see them work on it and get squib kicks in the game. But if they haven't yet figured out how to make it somewhat realistic and without major exploits, I can live without it.

Last edited by TrevJo; 05-01-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
EA has already stated when it was removed years ago that it was removed because it could be abused. I said earlier they didn't want it in there for online especially because you could manipulate it too easily to work like an onside kick and get the ball back with a greater chance than what is realistic.

Apparently it is something that is harder to program than we all realize and it just cannot find its way back into the game. It sucks yes, and it should be in, but it is not like they just are laughing at us and saying "screw you guys".

Hopefully if we keep asking, polite enough, they will realize it is a priority to the fans of the series and they can dedicate some time and power to get it back in and working properly.
This is nothing against EA since they have to balance many factors, but I really hate removing stuff because of cheaters online or multiplayer. I only play dynasty, I only play sim, I don't cheat the AI, and I just want things to be as close to correct as possible.

Very frustrating, and not EAs fault
Old 05-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I'd like squib kicks too but I play primarily online and I'll bet i'd want to kick myself for asking for them after i fielded the 1,000th one while playing online.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #36
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I'd like squib kicks too but I play primarily online and I'll bet i'd want to kick myself for asking for them after i fielded the 1,000th one while playing online.
Bringing back Fair Play/making squibs situational would prevent that.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furq
This is nothing against EA since they have to balance many factors, but I really hate removing stuff because of cheaters online or multiplayer. I only play dynasty, I only play sim, I don't cheat the AI, and I just want things to be as close to correct as possible.

Very frustrating, and not EAs fault
You took the words right out of my mouth. I only play sim, don't cheat the AI, offline dynasty. I don't think it's right that EA takes out SIM features like squib kick all because there are some cheesers online who abuse it.

As I stated before, people online abuse fake punts, going for it on fourth down, and onside kicks as well, but you don't hear EA complaining, "Well, we had to take it out, because people abused it..."
Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
Bringing back Fair Play/making squibs situational would prevent that.
I'm not sure how they could make that work though. Squib kicks are somewhat subjective as to when to use. One way though may be to just put it in there and put a "% squib kicks" stat beside each users name in their profile and then you could avoid people with like 50% or whatever squib kick ratios.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
There are lots of elements of special teams that are left out. Surprise onside kicks, as noted earlier. Being able to return kickoffs that land in the end zone. Reverse kickoff returns. Some of the interesting punt formations you see in college football. Kickoffs with the coverage team shifted to the kick side at the start. Just to name a few. Not saying it's right, just pointing it out.

Surprise onside kicks and returning kickoffs that land in the end zone are BOTH in the game currently. How do I surprise onside kick? By doing the play buff and then kicking it before the defense has time to audible into the right position. And the fact that you don't realize that you don't have to take a knee but can take it out of the end zone baffles me. Reverse kickoff returns, kick off "shift left", "shift right" all used to be in the game before EA took it out. I'm sure the reasoning was someone "abused" it. Please.

Quote:
Squib kick might be as important as fake field goals and fake punts. But you wouldn't settle for a fake field goal attempt that was the same every time, or a fake punt attempt that was the same every time. So why settle for it with squib kicks?
I can and have settled for fake field goals and fake punts that are only two varieties: a pass or a run. I'd rather have the squib kick in game with no variety than have no squib kick in the game at all (besides, what kind of variety is there in a SQUIB KICK?).

Quote:
Like bigwill33, I'd like to see them work on it and get squib kicks in the game. But if they haven't yet figured out how to make it somewhat realistic and without major exploits, I can live without it.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #40
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I'm not sure how they could make that work though. Squib kicks are somewhat subjective as to when to use. One way though may be to just put it in there and put a "% squib kicks" stat beside each users name in their profile and then you could avoid people with like 50% or whatever squib kick ratios.
It sounds like they will sort of do that with Season Showdown, although you probably wouldn't know specifically what their squib kick % was vs other types of bad sportsmanship.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »