Home

Squib kicks?

This is a discussion on Squib kicks? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #41
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Squib kicks?

Maybe squib when there is less than a minute left in either half? I can't imagine there being a circumstance outside of that where squibbing would be logical/realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #42
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
Surprise onside kicks and returning kickoffs that land in the end zone are BOTH in the game currently. How do I surprise onside kick? By doing the play buff and then kicking it before the defense has time to audible into the right position. And the fact that you don't realize that you don't have to take a knee but can take it out of the end zone baffles me.
On the onside kicks, the opponent at least has a chance to audible, or call timeout. What's "play buff"?

You completely misunderstood about the kickoffs in the end zone. I'm not talking about if you catch the ball in the end zone. I'm talking about if the ball lands in the end zone (or bounces or rolls into the end zone), the game doesn't let you pick it up and return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
(besides, what kind of variety is there in a SQUIB KICK?).
I'm glad you asked. The variety is, that a squib kick is extremely hard to control. Randomness is the very essence of a squib kick. Making it so that it does the same thing every time would be like having the knuckleball in a baseball game and having it follow the same path every time. Or, for that matter, it would be like having onside kicks always be the same. That wouldn't make any sense. Furthermore, squib kicks are risky to the kicking team because they could go out of bounds or roll right to the return man. So to make a squib kick and have it always be the same would defeat the purpose.

Last edited by TrevJo; 05-01-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
Maybe squib when there is less than a minute left in either half? I can't imagine there being a circumstance outside of that where squibbing would be logical/realistic.
I can, when the other team has returned kicks way too well and has a burner back there you don't want to kick to

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #44
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49

Well, if they fixed the pursuit like they say they have and it applies to special teams coverage then ideally that would be a non-issue. A lot of ifs, I know.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #45
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJo
On the onside kicks, the opponent at least has a chance to audible, or call timeout. What's "play buff"?

You completely misunderstood about the kickoffs in the end zone. I'm not talking about if you catch the ball in the end zone. I'm talking about if the ball lands in the end zone (or bounces or rolls into the end zone), the game doesn't let you pick it up and return it.

I'm glad you asked. The variety is, that a squib kick is extremely hard to control. Randomness is the very essence of a squib kick. Making it so that it does the same thing every time would be like having the knuckleball in a baseball game and having it follow the same path every time. Or, for that matter, it would be like having onside kicks always be the same. That wouldn't make any sense. Furthermore, squib kicks are risky to the kicking team because they could go out of bounds or roll right to the return man. So to make a squib kick and have it always be the same would defeat the purpose.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think in college the play is dead if the ball lands in the endzone. Again, I could be wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I'm not 100% sure, but I think in college the play is dead if the ball lands in the endzone. Again, I could be wrong.
excatly right

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »