Home

say hello to college playoffs (hopefully)

This is a discussion on say hello to college playoffs (hopefully) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: say hello to college playoffs (hopefully)

I really don't think people will like having a playoff nearly as much as they think they will.

Also, what if they have an 8 team playoff... how do they decide who gets left out? Do you really think it comes any closer to eliminating guess work? Also you get all the guess work that goes into seeding and who gets the home game which is really important.

And the playoff will disappear once the attendence takes a hit and people aren't able to fly all over following their team and paying huge prices for tickets.

Meanwhile the bowl season will be dead and all but maybe 16 teams will have something going on.... I'm sorry I like having the bowls.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
College playoffs are corny because it completely undermines the aura of college football - it makes the regular season useless. The BCS is fine for the most part. More weight does need to be given to schools with perfect records, though. My biggest issue with the bowl system is that there are way too many bowls now. Two 6-6 teams going at it in a bowl game is not impressive and it's purely a money grab. They need to shorten the amount of bowls and actually make it a privilege again.

And Congress needs to worry about the economy before trying to "fix" CFB.
In an eight team playoff (heck, even a sixteen team playoff), the regular season would be FAR from meaningless.

Going with the sixteen-team tournament example, there are eleven FBS conferences; we'll take their champions and five at larges. No meaning is taken out of the conference schedule, as for the current BCS conferences there are automatically BCS bowl tie-ins. The regular season for non-BCS schools in FBS would actually become MORE meaningful because the winner of the conference would have a fair chance at the national title.

At this point, there'd be five at-large teams who could be selected using the existing BCS formula; we'd just take the top five remaining teams that weren't conference champions. The teams would finally be seeded according to the BCS standings.

Following this example, the playoffs teams from last season (using the 7 December 2008 BCS numbers) would have been as follows:

1 - Oklahoma (Big XII Champs)
16 - Troy (Sun Belt Champs)
8 - Penn State (Big Ten Champs)
9 - Boise State (WAC Champs)
5 - USC (Pac10 Champs)
12 - Cincinnati (Big East Champs)
4 - Texas (At-Large)
13 - Virginia Tech (ACC Champs)
3 - Alabama (At-Large)
14 - East Carolina (C-USA Champs)
6 - Utah (Mountain West Champs)
11 - TCU (At-Large)
7 - Texas Tech (At-Large)
10 - Ohio State (At-Large)
2 - Florida (SEC Champs)
15 - Buffalo (MAC Champs)

Don't tell me that this tournament wouldn't make money, because you'd be wrong. It wouldn't take any longer than running the NFL Playoffs, either; you could run the games in weekends and have the other lesser bowl games take place during the week leading up to the playoff games on Saturday. This tournament also doesn't make the regular season useless; you either have to either win your conference or be one of the very best teams that didn't in order to qualify. Finally, this playoff would naturally reduce the number of bowls since more teams would be in play to win the national title and thus not available for traditional (meaningless?) bowl postseason play.

I realize that if any playoff comes about, it will probably be eight teams, but I'm using the sixteen team tournament to make a point that this can work. People would watch it, and it would make money.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 05-03-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
In an eight team playoff (heck, even a sixteen team playoff), the regular season would be FAR from meaningless.

Going with the sixteen-team tournament example, there are eleven FBS conferences; we'll take their champions and five at larges. No meaning is taken out of the conference schedule, as for the current BCS conferences there are automatically BCS bowl tie-ins. The regular season for non-BCS schools in FBS would actually become MORE meaningful because the winner of the conference would have a fair chance at the national title.

At this point, there'd be five at-large teams who could be selected using the existing BCS formula; we'd just take the top five remaining teams that weren't conference champions. The teams would finally be seeded according to the BCS standings.

Following this example, the playoffs teams from last season (using the 7 December 2008 BCS numbers) would have been as follows:

1 - Oklahoma (Big XII Champs)
16 - Troy (Sun Belt Champs)
8 - Penn State (Big Ten Champs)
9 - Boise State (WAC Champs)
5 - USC (Pac10 Champs)
12 - Cincinnati (Big East Champs)
4 - Texas (At-Large)
13 - Virginia Tech (ACC Champs)
3 - Alabama (At-Large)
14 - East Carolina (C-USA Champs)
6 - Utah (Mountain West Champs)
11 - TCU (At-Large)
7 - Texas Tech (At-Large)
10 - Ohio State (At-Large)
2 - Florida (SEC Champs)
15 - Buffalo (MAC Champs)

Don't tell me that this tournament wouldn't make money, because you'd be wrong. It wouldn't take any longer than running the NFL Playoffs, either; you could run the games in weekends and have the other lesser bowl games take place during the week leading up to the playoff games on Saturday. This tournament also doesn't make the regular season useless; you either have to either win your conference or be one of the very best teams that didn't in order to qualify. Finally, this playoff would naturally reduce the number of bowls since more teams would be in play to win the national title and thus not available for traditional (meaningless?) bowl postseason play.

I realize that if any playoff comes about, it will probably be eight teams, but I'm using the sixteen team tournament to make a point that this can work. People would watch it, and it would make money.
+1
Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 39

praying that the BCS gets kicked to the curb
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #21
Rookie

I just wish EA would give us the option to have a playoff in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #22
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

go utes, bringing down the Bogus Corrupt System.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #23
Rookie

LunchBox Legend's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
College playoffs are corny because it completely undermines the aura of college football - it makes the regular season useless. The BCS is fine for the most part. More weight does need to be given to schools with perfect records, though. My biggest issue with the bowl system is that there are way too many bowls now. Two 6-6 teams going at it in a bowl game is not impressive and it's purely a money grab. They need to shorten the amount of bowls and actually make it a privilege again.

And Congress needs to worry about the economy before trying to "fix" CFB.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. This would encourage the Hawaii's and Boise's of the game to not schedule tough OOC games. Hell, it would encourage all teams to soften their schedules.

Also, if you haven't noticed, the regular season doesn't mean everything. Just ask Texas after Oklahoma, a team they beat by 10 on a neutral field, jumped them based on "style" points. That is what's wrong with College Football.

The fact that ANYONE would want computers and polls to determine a champion is silly to me. Let them settle it on the field. Based on your post Russia should never want to switch from Communism because it would take away the "Aura" of Russia right?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
go utes, bringing down the Bogus Corrupt System.
U guys would really benefit from a playoff system

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »