Home

NCAA Football 10 Blog: The Rebirth of the Flexbone Offense

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 10 Blog: The Rebirth of the Flexbone Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #113
Rookie

OVR: 9
I'm glad they are redesigning the flexbone. I hope they fixed normal option plays so that the QB isn't quicksand running with a load in his pants
Old 05-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #114
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: NCAA Football 10 Blog: The Rebirth of the Flexbone Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
The QB/FB mesh is way to fast. Thats been a problem in NCAA for a while now. The QB (even in Mocap) wasn't "reading" he just sorta sticks the ball there and then pulls the ball out. This is part of the reason the option has been effective, its run entirely too fast. If a team tried to mesh that fast in real life there would be fumbles all over the place.

They also didn't address the issues on the counter plays.

Basically, they added Rocket and Jet...woohoo. Still broken.
In fairness to EA, on the MoCap clip, they're running a fake as opposed to a true read - typically the counter/trap option is a double option and designed to exploit a defense that is overplaying the regular triple option. Navy/Gtech never gives to the B-Back on that play.

But, yes, the mesh is generally way too fast.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #115
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylee
Shotgun option teams and under-center option teams use the same principles on many plays.

WV, Florida, and Wofford all run veer option from shotgun to varying degrees.

Load and speed options are present in both.

Simple, non-option trap plays.

But what really gets me about people saying "Oh, this only concern flexbone users" is that the principle of using unblocked defenders to make reads is used as an integral part of both the veer triple that flex, wishbone, and I-option teams run AND the zone read from shotgun that is the bread and butter of shotgun option teams.

And even the Pass Spread teams often have distinctly different approaches...Texas Tech and Hawaii being prime examples of how different Pass Spread teams can be.
Good points. I think the difference in offensive line play is what seperates the flex/wishbone-triple option offense from everything else. I agree completely about unblocked defenders. The core of the triple option attack no matter what formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #116
Pro

billysims's Arena

OVR: 9
Good. Now do the same for the wishbone.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #117
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKlYm_hsuG4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Check out 1:25 for the best true triple (I think theres one at 1:10 as well, but I can't tell if its a triple).

It's quick, but it's not instant.
It's a triple. Watch the playside tackle (the RT) and see who he blocks. If you youtube that clip they'll show that play 3 times: once live, once from a LB's viewpoint, and once from the overhead cam. The overhead cam shows the best view of the veer blocking scheme. The plays at 1:10 and 1:25 are the same, but 1:10 is run from Trips Left Rip while 1:25 is Spread Rip.

So here's the dealy-o regarding the "flexbone":

- nothing about the "flexbone" has been fixed, other than adding new animations and creating new plays. This means you will have the exact same broken logic (both offensively and defensively) as the last few years, only with new plays to get frustrated with.

- you still cannot "option" off an unblocked defender. The game AI cannot support an unblocked lineman, as an unblocked 5 tech will destroy the mesh every time. An unblocked 2 will destroy the midline mesh.

- blocking schemes still not fixed.

- the B-back is highlighted if he doesn't have the ball. So, let's say you mesh and pull the ball, then option down the line. The B-back will have the ballcarrier highlight on him for a second or two, even though he doesn't have the ball, just like on playaction passes. That's how you can fool your human opponent into believing that the B-back has the ball.

- In another thread someone suggested that this would become the new cheese offense. Well, apparently testers are using Florida, subbing Jeffrey Demps for Tebow, and using GT's playbook to destroy everyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »