Home

NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

This is a discussion on NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I never said it took too much time/resources/etc., I just said it's not a reason people buy the game. I was comparing MG to Form. Subs. I'd guess more people want Form. Subs than Mascot games. That's just my guess. I also said they don't rate the game for small children either. Mascot Game is fine for those with young kids.
And as a dev team we'd rather do formation subs than mascot mode. However, mascot mode was such a minute change that it had no real impact on our schedule. It was less than a day worth of work.

Formation subs on the other hand is something like 300-500 hours of dev time. A significant impact. Trust me, we wanted to do formation subs... but one of the most difficult parts of our job is making hard cuts to our task list for the year.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
I never said it took too much time/resources/etc., I just said it's not a reason people buy the game. I was comparing MG to Form. Subs. I'd guess more people want Form. Subs than Mascot games. That's just my guess. I also said they don't rate the game for small children either. Mascot Game is fine for those with young kids.
Mascot mode is absolutley the reason thousands of people buy the game.

Its not my thing, I have watched my son play it. If the game was 9.5 in all areas but didn't have formation subs. Very few people who would buy the game would let no formation subs, stop them from buying the game. However even if the game is a 9.5 game, if there is no mascot mode, alot of people/kids will not buy the game. Their purchase dicision is based solely on mascot mode. Thats why its in the game and it will almost always be in the game.
Cheap way to get more sales. all mascot mode is is a 99 ovr play now teams with mascot uniforms and special juke moves.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
And as a dev team we'd rather do formation subs than mascot mode. However, mascot mode was such a minute change that it had no real impact on our schedule. It was less than a day worth of work.

Formation subs on the other hand is something like 300-500 hours of dev time. A significant impact. Trust me, we wanted to do formation subs... but one of the most difficult parts of our job is making hard cuts to our task list for the year.
Did you at least make the package subs more responsive (the R Stick takes forever).

Also, did you add more package options?

I know you've heard all of the complaints about no formation subs, but hopefully we can have the packages work better to make up for it.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT

Didn't want you to think I was complaining about Mascot Mode. I've understood it takes little time and while I'll never use it, my argument was that people don't or shouldn't just go out and pick up this game for young kids since it still requires skill to play the game that young children can't handle.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #21
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smace767
Mascot mode is absolutley the reason thousands of people buy the game.

Its not my thing, I have watched my son play it. If the game was 9.5 in all areas but didn't have formation subs. Very few people who would buy the game would let no formation subs, stop them from buying the game. However even if the game is a 9.5 game, if there is no mascot mode, alot of people/kids will not buy the game. Their purchase dicision is based solely on mascot mode. Thats why its in the game and it will almost always be in the game.
Cheap way to get more sales. all mascot mode is is a 99 ovr play now teams with mascot uniforms and special juke moves.
So people just go out and buy this type of game for a smaller kid? Strictly due to mascot games? I see why it would be attractive to kids but can they actually play the game? Are they able to use the controllers etc?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
So people just go out and buy this type of game for a smaller kid? Strictly due to mascot games? I see why it would be attractive to kids but can they actually play the game? Are they able to use the controllers etc?
yes, my younger son who is 8 started playing mascot mode at 5 years old and now can line up and have an understanding of football and play other modes. He plays many other games, i pay attention to the ratings (he is the youngest), and my older son had to be on and stay on the honor role to get his 360 and keep the 360 they play on.

In texas and okl(lawton) they have football teams in the elementary school system. Tackle and full pads starting at the third grade level 7-8 year olds. My older son played 11 on 11 tackle football at his school at 8 years old. So a basic understanding of football or video games is there for some 5-10 year olds.
It might have been 8 on 8 in the third grade teams.

Last edited by smace767; 05-26-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 37
Angry Re: NCAA 10 vs Madden, EA and other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT

The issue isn't that mascot mode is in the game... the real issue is that FORMATION SUBS are STILL missing from the game as of year FOUR on next gen. How does that happen? We are talking about the most basic aspect of football here. Why can't the Madden 09 formation screen be adopted? I suspect it would cut that 300 hour range down to 50-100... surely less than season showdown???
Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #24
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
The issue isn't that mascot mode is in the game... the real issue is that FORMATION SUBS are STILL missing from the game as of year FOUR on next gen. How does that happen? We are talking about the most basic aspect of football here. Why can't the Madden 09 formation screen be adopted? I suspect it would cut that 300 hour range down to 50-100... surely less than season showdown???
No, it wouldn't. That time estimate includes anything we could take from Madden. If it was that small of a task, it might have made it in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »