Home

NHL 09: I don't get it?

This is a discussion on NHL 09: I don't get it? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 09: I don't get it?

If NHL 09 was held to the same standard as Madden and NCAA are, that game would get torn to shreds. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, me and a buddy have played through three and a half seasons together in a franchise, but that game has serious flaws. I can take pretty much any skater and play keep away with the puck. It's ridiculously easy to gain the zone by simply skating through the neutral zone. CPU teammates often go out of their way to sabotage scoring opportunities. More goals are scored as a result of a pass through the crease for an easy one timer than anything else. Penalties have gotten ridiculous since the last patch. There's no scrums along the board. Stick control on defense took a giant step backwards. There's very, very reliable ways to beat the goalie one-on-one.

The reason NHL 09 is so successful is it's a good game that is accepted by a fan base that isn't dead set on finding and amplifying every single flaw in the game. Madden and NCAA haven't had that luxury for a long time.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #34
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Rebel
I'd like to begin this thread by saying that I am by no means a Hockey, I do however like the sport. Anyhow, I've heard a lot a lot of praise about NHL 09 and how well it plays so I decided to rent it. At first I was a little optimistic, but once I got the controls down I became addicted to it. The game is great simply put. From it's gameplay and physics, to it's presentation and how it captures the NHL. On top of that they have all the licensed Hockey gear you could ever want in a game. They have all the Nike, Reebok, ITech, CCM, Warrior, Mission, and Easton gear you see in an actual NHL game. Helmets, gloves, skates, sticks, visors or eye shields, and even goalie gear. You name it, they have. While it isn't perfect, it does a lot of things right that come together to make an excellent title.

So I guess my question is this. If EA can get Hockey down, why have they had so much trouble with their football titles? Especially with the licensed equipment which you'd think would be easy to add. Oh yeah, NHL 09 even has an excellent create a team mode or whatever you wish to call it. What's the issue?
Since you're not a huge hockey fan, that's probably why you love NHL 09. You don't know all the little nuances that are missing from that game. You like what they give you and therefore proclaim it as a better offering then EA's NFL and NCAA offerings.

Meanwhile, I assume you're a big NFL and NCAAFB fan and know the game and the games inside and out. You notice the things that aren't added, things that don't work as they should, and on and on.

Like Wet Bandit said, if NHL 09 had the same amount of people following it as Madden, it would get ripped to shreds (it does have a very solid base, but not near the amount of people as Madden). I suspect every game would. The spotlight is always on Madden and in turn, every single thing gets nitpicked. It's never going to be perfect and there's always going to be things that aren't added or things that don't work. But the whining (some justified; others not) will never stop. And it really shouldn't... we should be pushing these developers to create the best game for their consumers. Just make sure there's a point to your complaints and I have no problems with the good whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Football is the most complex sport right now. Its alot more difficult to simulate football then any other sport. So its easier to make greater leaps in hockey and in soccer.
I would never watch a soccer game unless forced and even I recognize that soccer is incredibly harder to simulate than football will ever be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #36
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstod
Anyone that is even a mild hockey fan will appreciate the gameplay. It is flat out addicting,
Agree 100%.

I would consider myself a "mild" hockey fan. But yeah...the NHL game just sucks you in with the as you said...addicting game play.

Personally, I feel the game play in NHL is satisfying and rewarding. And I actually look forward to my next dynasty game. Whereas with EA's football games to date this gen, franchise mode feels like a chore to play imo.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #37
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDeDeDe
I would never watch a soccer game unless forced and even I recognize that soccer is incredibly harder to simulate than football will ever be.
Are you serious? Football has so many more aspects then soccer. Just OL-DL INA is way more complex then anything in soccer.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
well considering peopel are expressing their opinions on the game i gave mine. Sorry if i hurt your hockey feelings that i said the game wasnt anything great.
Didn't hurt my feelings, but your fighting a losing battle with posts so far off topic.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #39
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
Didn't hurt my feelings, but your fighting a losing battle with posts so far off topic.
off topic? the topic is NHL 09, i said i didnt like the game, if you have a difference in opinion thats one thing
Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #40
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

EA is slowly trying to turn their games around. Just give them time. You have seen the evidance in madden 10 compared to last year madden 09. So give EA some credit ok.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »