Home

Speed in NCAA vs Madden

This is a discussion on Speed in NCAA vs Madden within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Speed in NCAA vs Madden

My problem with the increased speed in football games over the past couple of years, from purely the perspective of someone playing a video game, is that I simply can't keep up with they play as it's moving way too fast compared to a real-life play. This is particularly evident on passing plays, where one has to avoid the rush, read the coverage, and get rid of the ball; I feel overwhelmed by the amount of information I have to process in such a tremendously and unrealisitcally short span of time. It's a similar deal on triple option plays; though the read window and information to process there isn't nearly as long as on passing play, it's still a quite a bit of decision making to do in the blink of an eye you are given to do it.

If the defense in NCAA 09 wasn't as nerfed as it was, it would have nearly been a Sisesphean labor for me to get a good passing game going. You can probably guess that I'm very happy with the speed changes that have been introduced into Madden 10, and ergo I wish that NCAA would have gone the same route.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
NCAA's speed doesn't bother me but it's how well they maintain speed while changing directions.
On one of the new Madden videos of the Miami Dolphins running the Wildcat, Ricky Williams takes the handoff from Ronnie Brown and does a complete 180 and instantly turns back to the right, picking up a few yards. It was terrible. I hope that the NCAA team actually fixed momentum somewhat this year (Though I doubt they did), but Madden certainly didn't.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
On one of the new Madden videos of the Miami Dolphins running the Wildcat, Ricky Williams takes the handoff from Ronnie Brown and does a complete 180 and instantly turns back to the right, picking up a few yards. It was terrible. I hope that the NCAA team actually fixed momentum somewhat this year (Though I doubt they did), but Madden certainly didn't.
I will agree here there hasnt been a whole lot of Madden talk about corrected fundmentals. But at the same time Madden devs. arent wasting time with fluff so i'll give them a pass. Cant say the samething about NCAA devs.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Rookie

o 99 PROBL3MS o's Arena

OVR: 7

The thing about the Ricky Williams move was that it was made immediately following a hand off. He wasn't making 90 degrees at full speed without slowing down as we have seen in some NCAA videos. That is the issue imo. If they could fix the pocket making DEs work there way upfield as opposed to stalemating the OTs everytime, that would prevent people from rolling out all game.

Fixing that as well as adding weight and momentum to the players would stop these crazy 90 degree turns we have complained about. Judging from the videos I have watched the OL/DL interaction looks better but the end result appears to be the same. We will know a lot more when we get our hands on the demo but so far it appears the same as in 09.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #21
Rookie

floridagatorfan's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActLikeYouCrow
^no such thing
i disagree with your reasoning, first off a lot of the complaints are about the speed of the game meaning all players go to fast rather than just the fast ones. we'd like to see the engine slowed down some then the player speed adjusted to more realistic levels across the board. ncaa players should not be faster, qb's should not be more accurate. there should be more of a margin for error because there isnt the talent level that there is in the nfl but thats not the case on the game. i was hoping with the new roster guy that we would see some of the adjustments in regards to ratings logic that were going to see with madden this year but ultimately it wont matter if they keep the same engine. if you have a bunch of track stars youll have a good football team no matter if they have any actual football skills. its been said over and over, the lack of deceleration and acceleration makes it completely unrealistic, every player on ncaa is basically barry sanders on steroids.
This quote basically sums up my feelings on this issue. The problem is that the overall game speed of NCAA has been overdone just like it was with Madden. On EASports blog they had a great post that talked about this where they tuned speeds to be realistic rather than inflated as they had become.

Heres an image from the post of how it was before.

I was hoping that NCAA would follow this but I do not think that they have from the videos I have seen.

NCAA looks like it is in hyperspeed when compared to Madden. They could tune the overall game speed down while still allowing for a sizeable difference between top teams and lower teams. Right now even 1* programs have 80 ovr guys on their teams. They could go the Madden route and have disparity between ratings so that crappier teams had sizably lower ratings than better teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #22
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I love ncaa current game speed for ncaa 10. I am going to adjust the speed in madden 10 with speed sliders. I feel the speed in the game by default this year is a little slow. I love a fast pace game of football. But overall both ncaa and madden 10 game speed is good.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagatorfan
This quote basically sums up my feelings on this issue. The problem is that the overall game speed of NCAA has been overdone just like it was with Madden. On EASports blog they had a great post that talked about this where they tuned speeds to be realistic rather than inflated as they had become.

Heres an image from the post of how it was before.

I was hoping that NCAA would follow this but I do not think that they have from the videos I have seen.

NCAA looks like it is in hyperspeed when compared to Madden. They could tune the overall game speed down while still allowing for a sizeable difference between top teams and lower teams. Right now even 1* programs have 80 ovr guys on their teams. They could go the Madden route and have disparity between ratings so that crappier teams had sizably lower ratings than better teams.
Was that ever used? Because that looks about right from last years game. Michael Ray Garvin ran a sub 4.4 40 and was a 96 speed... I thought all the FSU speed was about right when I went through the roster last year.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

^^
It wasn't the top speeds that were the problem, it was the dropoff after a certain speed. If you were sub 92ish speed, you were useless as a skill player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »