Home

Speed in NCAA vs Madden

This is a discussion on Speed in NCAA vs Madden within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Speed in NCAA vs Madden

Time and time again when I go through a post some of the main things are said over and over again... details, broken gameplay, speed...

A lot of people have said how NCAA plays faster than Madden, and in my opinion it should. Speed kills in college football, look what UF does to teams lately. You see speed in the NFL, but it's not nearly as dangerous because you have the cream of the crop all over the field, the speed gap isn't nearly as prevalent as it is on the college gridiron.

I think the idea of the big play lives in college football more than the NFL, and I think the NCAA team has always embraced that... sure pursuit angles by the AI have blown it out of proportion, but this years game should be an improvement.

What are your thoughts on speed in the college game? Speed is huge in the NFL, but everyone is fast in the NFL (except you Byron Leftwitch, now take a seat). In college you get a team with 5 sub 4.3 backs and WRs and they tear apart everyone... you can't stop them, you can only hope to contain Tebow on 4th and 2.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: Speed in NCAA vs Madden

I agree with everything you said
Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Maddens speed adjustments will make it a better game simply because it will be more life like.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moojenowski
In college you get a team with 5 sub 4.3 backs and WRs
^no such thing
i disagree with your reasoning, first off a lot of the complaints are about the speed of the game meaning all players go to fast rather than just the fast ones. we'd like to see the engine slowed down some then the player speed adjusted to more realistic levels across the board. ncaa players should not be faster, qb's should not be more accurate. there should be more of a margin for error because there isnt the talent level that there is in the nfl but thats not the case on the game. i was hoping with the new roster guy that we would see some of the adjustments in regards to ratings logic that were going to see with madden this year but ultimately it wont matter if they keep the same engine. if you have a bunch of track stars youll have a good football team no matter if they have any actual football skills. its been said over and over, the lack of deceleration and acceleration makes it completely unrealistic, every player on ncaa is basically barry sanders on steroids.

Last edited by ActLikeYouCrow; 06-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

I think that speed kills but the problem is dumb down defenses. Speed will kill on its on it doesnt need help. And the way it killed was unrealistic. You should not be able to put CB's at DE and still kill. So I agree NCAA should play faster and game play should be more "Wide Open"(Yes I said it) in college then the pros. But not at the expense of good common football sense.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-04-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I think that speed kills but the problem is dumb down defenses. Speed will kill on its on it doesnt need help. And the way it killed was on realistic. You should not be able to part CB's at DE and still kill. So I agree NCAA should play faster and game play should be more "Wide Open"(Yes I said it) in college then the pros. But not at the expense of good common football sense.
+100

Just being fast does not make a player good, even at the college level.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActLikeYouCrow
if you have a bunch of track stars youll have a good football team no matter if they have any actual football skills. its been said over and over, the lack of deceleration and acceleration makes it completely unrealistic, every player on ncaa is basically barry sanders on steroids.
Maybe on Varsity, but this isn't Bo Jackson on TECMO.

If Madden and NCAA were on the same disc, yeah, an issue... but they aren't. They've been two completely different games for a long time, just like the NFL and College football are different... and yes, these teams (UF, FSU, LSU...) do recruit track stars that may not have ALL the needed skills, but work in their system. The other things you say do need to be fixed (accuracy and what not).

To say there's no such thing? Really? We're not talking about leprachauns, you can find this kind of speed on teams. How many kids on UF's team ran sub 4.3 40's? Chris Rainey, John Demps, Percy Harvin, Pierre-Louis... They are fast everywhere on that team (DE, LB, CB, S, name it, there is speed on UF)... I remember when John Demps wanted to come to FSU, but we didn't recruit "track stars" then. Yeah good call coaches.

When you watch a college game vs a game with lets say the Colts and the Patriots, which game looks faster? The college game because you have such big gaps between talent and skill levels, why shouldnt NCAA play faster, too? A team like FSU, OSU, USC should run circles around lower rated teams because they bring in the talent and the speed to do that. UF ran circles around FSU this past November, speed at every position just stretching our defense, and guess what, the game played faster than an NFL game... it was more wide open. Speed opens up the field way more in college football than it does in NFL.

And to say that everyone went too fast? No way... Tight Ends don't move in 09, neither do lower rated LB's and even high rated DE's... If speed was a problem in 09 it was with WRs, RBs and scrambling QBs... not everyone.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I think that speed kills but the problem is dumb down defenses. Speed will kill on its on it doesnt need help. And the way it killed was on realistic. You should not be able to part CB's at DE and still kill. So I agree NCAA should play faster and game play should be more "Wide Open"(Yes I said it) in college then the pros. But not at the expense of good common football sense.
Exactly.

I agree, which is why I said we should see an improvement with an improved defensive system in this years game (fingers crossed).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »