Home

Two questions

This is a discussion on Two questions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Two questions

Rollins8 actually thought of this at the same time as me, it seems, and posted about it in a thread already

1) Full-customization

Let's say a football game came out that was a huge jump ahead of NCAA 10 - had more accurate gameplay, realistic movement (via euphoria or whatever), logical blocking, solid plays, etc.

and had 120 teams, each with stock names like "Military Academy, Maryland" or "Nebraska College, Lincoln"
(taken even further, the QB from "College of Florida, Gainsville" wore #15, was a bull of a runner, etc. - and all other rosters were like this)

and a Mythical National Championship, borne out through a silly non-tournament system supported by polls and obscure formulas.

And everything was customizable via an app like Teambuilder, so that online communities could create accurate versions of the NCAA FBS or FCS or whatever.

Could EA sue at all for breaching the exclusive license or whatever?
Certainly they wouldn't be able to use the rosters or simple geographic similarities as evidence, right? Because their rosters are fictional too.

Could they sue if, say, Operation Sports set up a free league with such a game wherein all the schools were modified to be Florida, West Virginia, etc?
Because if the players can't sue now just because individuals or leagues name the players in the game "Sam Keller", I don't see how anyone could for this private usage either.

Thoughts?

2) How much longer is this-gen?

I'm still last-gen and, having played NCAA on a PS3 AND a 360, I don't see any improvement besides cosmetic ones...

physics actually appear worse, there are apparently insurmountable flaws in this engine that make warps, suction blocks, and the like unavoidable and unblocked defenders an impossibility.

So, maybe the PS4 or the XBox720 or whatever will solve these problems (maybe through a physics engine a la backbreaker or whatever)

If I want to play football video games, how much longer should I expect to wait for the possibility of having them playable in the manner I want them?

[the last question being predicated on the assumption that this engine truly makes those warps, suctions, and the problems resulting from unblocked defenders truly unavoidable - because, one assumes, that such problems might have been fixed sooner, if they weren't]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Two questions

1. I would probably buy that game.. but have no idea about the legalities involved with such an issue.

2. I'm guessing we have 2-3 years left.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Pro

mjussawalla's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
1. I would probably buy that game.. but have no idea about the legalities involved with such an issue.

For number 2), 2-3 years would be probably until the new console is launched, this gen (360 and PS3) may be supported for another couple of years after that.

We all know how terrible NCAA 07 was on 360. Everything from the phantom sacks to the lack of stadiums and poor frame rate. So we will be stuck with this for a while.

Our only hope is that EA invests the time and money to improve the core gameplay and adopt the slogan "Everything You See on Saturdays!" for NCAA 11 and beyond.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN

1) As long as it isn't called NCAA or used licenses school names, I don't see any issues. That is why when Bill Walsh college football was released by EA back in 1994, they didn't use all school names (i.e. Notre Dame was called South Bend, etc.). But I don't see anyone buying it. Why spend all that time customizing? By the time people were done customizing the college season would be over....Too much work, in my opinion...

2) Don't look for a new console from MS or Sony until the mid-2010's. The current consoles still have much to be discovered in regards to the technology inside. Besides, with the ability to basically update the current consoles via the internet and with new motion-sensing projects coming into play, I can't see either company investing in a new console when there is money to be had with the current set. Not to mention, both companies are now making money on the consoles so there is no rush.

I, personally, would prefer the next generation of consoles be held off. I want the next leap in console gaming to be a tad more ground breaking. The jump from the PS2 to the PS3 and the XBox to the 360 was not as big a leap (at least initially) as it was from the PSOne to the PS2, etc.....
Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
I want the next leap in console gaming to be a tad more ground breaking.
This. It needs to be a much smoother, more well organized effort.. especially when it comes to sports titles. I feel like the first ones were absolutely rushed just so they could get on that "next gen" wagon. I feel like we are still paying for that decision with the products that have come out.

Say we go to next-next gen... Would anybody be opposed to NCAA or Madden taking a year off (making it a 2 year dev. cycle) to make an outstanding game for that leap? I would be fine with waiting an extra year for a quality game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
1) As long as it isn't called NCAA or used licenses school names, I don't see any issues. That is why when Bill Walsh college football was released by EA back in 1994, they didn't use all school names (i.e. Notre Dame was called South Bend, etc.). But I don't see anyone buying it. Why spend all that time customizing? By the time people were done customizing the college season would be over....Too much work, in my opinion...

Yeah, I'm pulling stuff out of my butt, but I don't know if it would really take too long.
Community uploaded team logos and some uniform fixes would be #1.

Now that I think about it, the impossibility of making accurate stadiums in a timely fashion might be the biggest problem.

My main point is just that I don't see how EA could have a case IF they're really not profiting off of the Sam Keller's of the world.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »