Home

NCAA Football 10 Video: Army vs. Navy

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 10 Video: Army vs. Navy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #33
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: NCAA Football 10 Video: Army vs. Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Rudy is about to break out the telestrator on this one. Nice analysis man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Damn Rudy.....great breakdown.
Thanks. NCAA 10 has been getting enough criticism. I just didn't think this particular play warranted it. Most WRs suck at blocking in real life. To see one miss a block is hardly unrealistic. And like I said, they don't drive block a guy when he's lined up 7-8 yards off him. That's not that easy to make that block.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 06-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #34
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Thanks for the vid. Any comment on how cpu navy threw the ball? Big thing that bugged me the previous few years is going up against teams like army and navy and watching them pull off an effective passing offense.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #35
Rookie

ryby6969's Arena

OVR: 5

It was rather nice to see the AI qb make the right read and pitch the ball at the right time! I can't remember the last time I could have said that so this is a definite improvement IMHO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
I just finished watching the new Madden videos and the new NCAA videos. I was shocked at how much better the presentation is on Madden. Here is the difference between the two games:

Madden: The new sideline cut scenes in Madden make it feel like you are watching a real NFL game. There are players celebrating with each other, players on the phone talking to coaches in the booth, coaches getting in player's faces and trying to coach them up. These are all new additions to Madden 10 and they significantly increase the gaming experience. When I watched the Madden videos I had three or four "Wow, that's cool" moments.

NCAA: After each play you have the same cut scenes that have been in NCAA since it went next gen with NCAA 07. First the player involved in the previous play gets up and does a short celebration or dance. Next the camera pans out and shows a panoramic view of the stadium. Again, these are the same cut scenes we have seen since NCAA 07. When you score in NCAA you get the same interactions with mascots that were in the game last year, then a quick shot of the cheerleaders followed by the mandatory stadium cut scene. Again, this is all stuff that was in last year's game. With NCAA I had three or four "Oh no, not again" moments.

Just by watching a minute of Madden 10 you can tell that it is not 09. The presentation is better by leaps and bounds. Conversely, if Steve would have sneaked in a video of NCAA 09 I'm not sure very many of us would have noticed. The presentation on NCAA is so tired and stale.

The more I see Madden the more it seems like a polished, new product. Sadly, NCAA feels like a budget production.

As someone who loves college football and wastes a lot of time in NCAA dynasty mode and little time in Madden franchise mode, this is sad. I will still play NCAA 10 because I love college football and video games.

But it would be nice to see NCAA 10 receive the polish and attention that Madden 10 has received.
I agree 100%. There are very subtle differences from 09, but not enough to justify a purchase at full cost.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #37
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryby6969
It was rather nice to see the AI qb make the right read and pitch the ball at the right time! I can't remember the last time I could have said that so this is a definite improvement IMHO.
He didn't really make the right read. This is still the "block everybody in front of you" flexbone with no sense of scheme and no real read whatsoever. It was nice to see it effective which was better than last year.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 06-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #38
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Thanks. NCAA 10 has been getting enough criticism. I just didn't think this particular play warranted it. Most WRs suck at blocking in real life. To see one miss a block is hardly unrealistic. And like I said, they don't drive block a guy when he's lined up 7-8 yards off him. That's not that easy to make that block.
Rudy,

I pretty much agree with your analysis especially cutting the run up inside because of the contain by the de.

The issue I have with the cb coming up that quickly on the run is no one is covering the wr. I realize this is probably knit picky and the AI needs as much help as possible so its not a big deal.

From a realism stand point the only way that cb is up at the LOS forcing the run inside is if the defense is in cover 2 and from the reaction of the fs I dont think the def was in cov 2. If he is man (which it looks like to me) or cov 3 he better stay with that receiver or here comes the fb pass for a wide open td. I realize the ball had been pitched to the fb but in past games even when running the option with the qb no one respects the wr. Hopefully they have set up plays like this as part of the "play set up" feature and all would be gravy.

I am a coach and we coach up our cb's to never look in the backfield when in man coverage. If you get caught looking in the backfiled you will pay and learn your lesson. Their job is to cover the wr in man wherever he goes and break down for any run only at the last second.

To illustrate my point on setting up a play and having the cb come up on the run I will give you an example. Last year we were playing a team that ran mostly man or cover 1 and after watching several game tapes I realized the other teams weak corner loved looking in the backfield to come up and stop the run and be a hero. So I installed a HB pass with one of our hb's that had a decent arm and low and behold who was out there being a hero, that weak corner. We set him up several times throughout the game running the the hb sweep to his side to see if he was still biting and of course he was. Well in due time here came the hb pass and guess who was all by himself about 15 yards down the field? The wr that weak cb was suppose to be covering for the game winning TD.

Sorry for the long post and I realize the average fan could care less about this type of realism but if these type of set up plays are in the game I will be extactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
He didn't really make the right read. This is still the "block everybody in front of you" flexbone with no sense of scheme and no real read whatsoever. It was nice to see it effective which was better than last year.
Yep, bottom line is the blocking is still not fixed so it is not really option football.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #39
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachchris
Rudy,

The issue I have with the cb coming up that quickly on the run is no one is covering the wr. I realize this is probably knit picky and the AI needs as much help as possible so its not a big deal.

From a realism stand point the only way that cb is up at the LOS forcing the run inside is if the defense is in cover 2 and from the reaction of the fs I dont think the def was in cov 2. If he is man (which it looks like to me) or cov 3 he better stay with that receiver or here comes the fb pass for a wide open td. I realize the ball had been pitched to the fb but in past games even when running the option with the qb no one respects the wr. Hopefully they have set up plays like this as part of the "play set up" feature and all would be gravy.

I am a coach and we coach up our cb's to never look in the backfield when in man coverage. If you get caught looking in the backfiled you will pay and learn your lesson. Their job is to cover the wr in man wherever he goes and break down for any run only at the last second.
Good point about the over agressive CBs. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 7

On the Load Option that went for the long gain, the D-End lines up on the inside shoulder of the PS Tackle, who zone steps into that gap while the PS Guard steps towards that D-End too. The Guard brushes him and then moves on to the next level.

It looks like a combo attempt (although what you'd probably rather do in that situation is combo the tackle to the next level instead of that guard) and that's cool.

If on the regular triple option something like that happens - Tackle and guard both look to secure B-Gap first and then move to next level next - that would be cool.

The general principle on the Inside Veer Option for the Playside Tackle is to look (1)B-Gap to (2) first linebacker head-up or (3) inside. So what you usually get is the tackle crashes the MLB and the guard takes care of the DT.

It looks to me like this is possible. The problem, it has been said, is that the Defensive AI would glitch if that DE truly were untouched. I don't know.

Now, the QB in this vid pitches off the backside OLB as the Tight End base blocks who is basically head up on him, and two of the backs load the S and the MLB. For some reason the CB slides inside and takes himself out of the play.

One could certainly say "load the playside and QB just pitch off of whoever flashes free"...and maybe that's the desired scheme here.

I'm probably just reading too deeply into this but it would be nice to see the regular ISV/Triple Option out of this, as it is the base of this entire playbook.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »