Home

Question about playing LSU

This is a discussion on Question about playing LSU within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Rookie

kkman187's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Question about playing LSU

I remember in NCAA 09, LSU wore white at home and purple away. I think that still stands.

Our tradition is subject to change because of Ncaa rules and new head coaches that might decide to change it. The agreement between Saban and the Florida coach definitely happened for a few seasons.

Here is our white jersey tradition in a nutshell:

LSU is notable as one of the few college football teams that wears white jerseys for home games as opposed to their darker jerseys (in their case, purple). Most other NCAA football teams wear their darker jerseys in home games, even though football is one of the few college sports that do not require a specific jersey type for each respective team (for instance, college basketball requires home teams to wear white or light-colored jerseys while the away team wears their darker jerseys), and is similar to the NFL in letting the home team decide what to wear.

The tradition started in 1958, when Coach Paul Dietzel decided that LSU would wear white jerseys for the home games. LSU went on to win the national championship that year. Since then, LSU continued to wear white jerseys at home games. Then in 1982, new NCAA rules prohibited teams from wearing white jerseys at home. Because of this, LSU wore purple jerseys during home games from 1983 to 1994. In 1995, LSU's new coach, Gerry DiNardo, was determined to restore LSU's tradition of white home jerseys. DiNardo personally met with each member of the NCAA Football Rules Committee, lobbying LSU's case. DiNardo was successful, and LSU again began wearing white jerseys at home when the 1995 season began.

In LSU's first home game with the white jerseys, unranked LSU prevailed in a 12-6 upset victory over #6 Auburn. In 2000, LSU's new coach, Nick Saban, altered the tradition of the white home jerseys: now LSU only wears white jerseys for the home opener and for home games against SEC opponents. For non-SEC home games other than the home opener, LSU wears purple jerseys at home. The rule allowing LSU to wear white at home has one stipulation: the visiting team must agree. On two occasions, LSU was forced to wear colored jerseys at home. The first time was in 1996 against Vanderbilt, who was still angry at LSU for hiring Gerry DiNardo, who left Vanderbilt to become LSU's head coach after the 1994 season. LSU wore gold jerseys for that game (a 35-0 LSU victory), and fans were encouraged to wear white in an effort to "white out" the Commodores. The second time was in 2004, when Oregon State did want not to suffer in its black jerseys in the humid weather of Louisiana in late summer.

Last edited by kkman187; 06-14-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Rookie

rdfowler's Arena

OVR: 4

Techh wears white for Home in real life but in Ncaa 10 it says Navy blue is out home. We only did that in the chic fil a bowl cause of LSU

i think tech and lsu are the only who do the white
Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are you sure? I don't recall any of that non-sense and Tom Foolery going on in Baton Rouge.

I do recall this though:

Yep. The Ole Ball Coach had his boys wear white in The Swamp to piss off the tigers. Man, that guy will forever be awesome in my book.

LSU should bring those jerseys back. The gold jersey with the white pants looks good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Rookie

kkman187's Arena

OVR: 9

Little too gold for me. I want an all white like the one's we wore against Tulane a few years back. The flour de lis on the helmets was awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »