Home

Proof that blocking AI is terrible

This is a discussion on Proof that blocking AI is terrible within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Proof that blocking AI is terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Not worried at all. Because in the 2nd screen capture, #50 is engaged in blocking someone. The guy that gets to the QB beat his man he was engaged with in the first pic.

The C is the one who blew a blocking assignment.
The center missed his block because he also turned his back to the defense and face guarded his QB!! The fact that the RT missed his block because the C missed his does not make it better. In fact, it makes it worse. Both the C and the RT turn and face the wrong way. Look at the first NC State picture.

There is some serious confusion on who the center, right tackle and RB are going to block. It looks like the stunt really confuses them and it causes them to try to block the wrong defender and turn and face the QB,

Simply put, the linemen miss their blocks and they are facing the wrong direction.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #34
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Very similar stuff happened last year too. I couldn't say if they missed blocks directly because of it though...They may have missed the blocks even if facing the right way.

Guys stood up, turned around, ran back, stood facing the wrong way, then rotated and did everything but pick up blocks more or less. I didn't see it every game, but at some point I just stopped looking for it in 09.

From 09:

Quote:
Simple qb hand off out of shotgun. Pay attention to the circled linemen. Defense is nickle strong, probably cover 2 or some such zone, can't remember what I called.

All three at the snap turn around and run back 3 yards??? I can possibly understand the right tackle doing this to stop the rushing end, but even that's pushing it. He should forget about this guy and go to the 2nd level if the end is rushing wide like he is. Maybe give the end a push to make sure he goes wide, then move into the 2nd level. This was not a draw run either, but even if it was, that's no excuse for turning away from the LOS.

Of course what happens? They get confused on who to block and get in the way of the RB. Play side has 2 defenders waiting. If the LT and C hadn't turned around, but recognized they could immediately move to the 2nd level, at least one of those defenders would be blocked. Plus there would have been a gaping hole between the tackles on the left side.

Predictable result, no gain. 67 the center never really picked up a block. 76 the LT went down field eventually to try and secure the back side instead of blocking the 2 defenders waiting where the play was going.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #35
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
The center missed his block because he also turned his back to the defense and face guarded his QB!! The fact that the RT missed his block because the C missed his does not make it better. In fact, it makes it worse. Both the C and the RT turn and face the wrong way. Look at the first NC State picture.

There is some serious confusion on who the center, right tackle and RB are going to block. It looks like the stunt really confuses them and it causes them to try to block the wrong defender and turn and face the QB,

Simply put, the linemen miss their blocks and they are facing the wrong direction.
so it couldn't just be a case of the line stunt confusing them all together and really the wrong way direction facing has no bearing on the issue?

I agree, they look confused by the line stunt and I think thats the factor here, not facing the wrong direction.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #36
Rookie

tyler741's Arena

OVR: 7

countryboy, is it so hard to admit that the OL AI logic is flawed?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #37
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler741
I don't know- you tell me. That's why I put the question mark (?) at the end of a sentence. It turns a statement into a question, and no, don't worry, it wasn't rhetorical either.
I care about the NCAA series.

Now you ask me, " how can you say that and not care about this issue?"

And I'll reply, "because I don't view it as a big deal."

And you say, "how can you not view as a big deal?"

And the circle keeps going round and round. So lets just end it here.

Last edited by countryboy; 06-13-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #38
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler741
countryboy, is it so hard to admit that the OL AI logic is flawed?
Nope... not when I have adequate proof..as in seeing it in the final build and determining that the OL facing the wrong direction leads to them missing blocks.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #39
Rookie

tyler741's Arena

OVR: 7

Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #40
KOL
Charmer

KOL's Arena

OVR: 15

It is evident that the blocking in this game is flawed and has been on each Next-Gen title so far.
However, pointing out the issue to devs and other people is going to help solve the issue.
Trying to convince someone that this is a game-killer isn't.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »