Home

Proof that blocking AI is terrible

This is a discussion on Proof that blocking AI is terrible within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31
Proof that blocking AI is terrible

These are all screenshots from the videos Steve uploaded. Apparently there is something in the NCAA blocking AI that compels OL to turn and face guard their own QB.

After watching all the videos I'm pretty certain that this happens when offensive linemen do not have someone to block or when the defensive line stunts. Defensive stunts cause the offensive line to think that there is no one to block (see the NC State screens below). Instead of using their heads to look for someone to block they pivot around and stare at the QB. The sad part is this happens all the time.

This is the RG and RT from USC turning to stare at their QB.

Here is a reverse angle that was caught on the instant replay. Notice how the RB is blocking correctly but the offensive linemen are not. Funny how a RB has a higher blocking IQ.

Next we have two NC State linemen who have a man crush on their QB. Due to the man crush they are forced to look away from the defense and stare at their QB.

OL #50 definitely misses his block because his back is to the defensive line.

#50 is the player on the right with his back to the defense.

On the next screen we see the unblocked defender running free to the QB. #50 has turned back around and sees a second defender who is further away from his QB.

The next screen shows that the first defender is past OL #50. #50 goes for a cut block on the second (furthest) defender.

On this screen it is obvious that the defender had an easy route to the QB because #50 turned his back to the defense and watched his QB.

Not only do the linemen look silly, but the poor blocking AI causes them to miss blocks.

And the final picture is a Miami lineman who is dazed and confused. The picture quality is not great but if you look closely you will see that there are two linemen standing back-to-back. One is facing forward and is blocking the defense while the other one is looking at his QB.

I do not remember the blocking being this bad in NCAA 09. Instead of improved OL/DL interactions like EA has promised in NCAA 10, we get mentally challenged offensive linemen.

How did EA's product testers not notice this? I noticed it the first time I watched the videos. This is sloppy, incomplete work on EA's part. Just like the rosters.

Last edited by boritter; 06-13-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Proof that blocking AI is terrible

Wonky yes, but we won't know if the blocking AI is "terrible" till the game comes out.

Play it before you hate it.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

Oh my.. Here we go again.. The real question is, do they turn back around when a defender comes within range. That would be bad.. Eyes in back of head... Whatever.

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Rookie

tyler741's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm with boritter. What gives? Easily could be one of the most annoying things game in and out. Hope this is fixed in a patch or something, because the dev team clearly has no plans on fixing anything until after the game is gold.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 29

I wonder if procedural awareness is to blame for this? players with nothing to do just automatically turn and look at the ball?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
MVP

boritter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeus
Oh my.. Here we go again.. The real question is, do they turn back around when a defender comes within range. That would be bad.. Eyes in back of head... Whatever.
[I edited this when I discovered that the offensive line DOES miss blocks when they face the wrong direction]

Sometimes they do not turn back around and face the defense in time and this causes them to miss blocks.

Proof is found in the NC State screens in my original post.

Last edited by boritter; 06-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

They need to understand that less is more in terms of movements by OL's. They form a shield around the QB and they face downfield and slightly angle on the outside to shield/force DE's/OLB's etc around the QB. Then, this is where we need better recovery time, in this case longer time, when a DE gets pushed away then has to build up speed to get back in the play. It's all about angles.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
MVP

boritter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
I wonder if procedural awareness is to blame for this? players with nothing to do just automatically turn and look at the ball?
Maybe so with OL. But not RBs. Look at the USC picture. The OL are lost but the RB is normal.

Last edited by boritter; 06-13-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »