Home

The NCAA Series From Here On Out

This is a discussion on The NCAA Series From Here On Out within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The NCAA Series From Here On Out

I'm not sure why I'm even posting this because I know there is no way it will ever happen, but I'd prefer it if NCAA was on a 2 year development cycle.

In off years, they could still release a game that's just updated rosters for that season and perhaps a few minor improvements to hold over fans (almost like a Gran Turismo: Prologue for college football); however, the majority of the effort would be devoted to the next game. It's becoming clear to me that with the increased power of the new consoles, it takes a much longer time to do anything than it did on last gen. Stadiums, uniforms, equipment, animations, etc. all take much longer, and thus, there is less time to spend on the actual gameplay (which seems to be more difficult to program on the new systems, as well).

All of the increased "power" of the new systems doesn't do any good if the developers don't have enough time to take advantage of it. I would be fine with a small update every other year if it meant that the we'd get a football game that fully utilized the potential of the new systems instead of getting a game that feels rushed in order to make an annual ship date.

Like I said, it won't happen due to financial reasons for EA. I just wish it's something they would consider. I'd also like to add that I think NCAA 10 will be an improved game but will still feel incomplete. I have a lot of respect for the developers who are doing everything they can with the time and resources given to them. It's the higher ups at EA who need to step it up and give these guys what they really need ... the tools and proper development time to make a truly great game.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
HST
Banned

OVR: 2

The annual release schedule hasn't proven to be a problem. Seemingly, one year is the perfect amount of time to not animate chain crews, code formation substitutions and basic, minor details of actual college football while pondering buffoonish features that ultimately achieve zero change within the game itself.

'08 to '09 was all the time they needed last year to not have the names of teams painted in the endzones during bowl games. I imagine those silver, generic cups they used instead of painted endzones really pushed the limits of the deadline. Wow. Did you see those cups? Those cups were awesome, man!!! Both endzones had two cups each, all of them identical. They were dazzling, and anyone who disagrees doesn't understand creativity. You see, in reality, all bowls paint the team endzones with the name of each team. EA took a creative gamble and just put those silver cups in there. And boy did it pay off. That's called going the extra mile, the extra step that has defined an entire era of creativity and deeper thought. Once again, just awesome work, fellas.

Apparently one year is barely enough time to not make recognizable changes. Lets not apply even more pressure. If we do that, they might have to remove yard markers and hash marks. The current level of indolence will suffice, thank you.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Rookie

adamcsay's Arena

OVR: 4

the current dev team doesn't need more time.

the current dev team needs to go.

please get someone like ian in here to do the job right, or don't insult us with crappy, gimmicky products. that's all i'm saying.

thread locked in 3, 2, 1..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
Rookie

HokiesCavs's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I'm not sure why I'm even posting this because I know there is no way it will ever happen, but I'd prefer it if NCAA was on a 2 year development cycle.

In off years, they could still release a game that's just updated rosters for that season and perhaps a few minor improvements to hold over fans (almost like a Gran Turismo: Prologue for college football); however, the majority of the effort would be devoted to the next game. It's becoming clear to me that with the increased power of the new consoles, it takes a much longer time to do anything than it did on last gen. Stadiums, uniforms, equipment, animations, etc. all take much longer, and thus, there is less time to spend on the actual gameplay (which seems to be more difficult to program on the new systems, as well).

All of the increased "power" of the new systems doesn't do any good if the developers don't have enough time to take advantage of it. I would be fine with a small update every other year if it meant that the we'd get a football game that fully utilized the potential of the new systems instead of getting a game that feels rushed in order to make an annual ship date.

Like I said, it won't happen due to financial reasons for EA. I just wish it's something they would consider. I'd also like to add that I think NCAA 10 will be an improved game but will still feel incomplete. I have a lot of respect for the developers who are doing everything they can with the time and resources given to them. It's the higher ups at EA who need to step it up and give these guys what they really need ... the tools and proper development time to make a truly great game.
Couldn't have said it better myself. So many people don't understand the sheer amount of time needed to produce a quality game. The fact that we even have a playable game every year on essentially a 9 month development cycle is brilliant. Most games these days take 2-3 years. When the next series of consoles come out, I don't think yearly titles will be possible at all. There just won't be enough time for all of the art and graphics expected and gameplay to be developed in time.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesCavs
Couldn't have said it better myself. So many people don't understand the sheer amount of time needed to produce a quality game. The fact that we even have a playable game every year on essentially a 9 month development cycle is brilliant. Most games these days take 2-3 years. When the next series of consoles come out, I don't think yearly titles will be possible at all. There just won't be enough time for all of the art and graphics expected and gameplay to be developed in time.
at this point the game is on a 4 yr cycle, they're not starting each game from scratch. In reality this is almost a 8 year cycle since they reused so much code from the Xbox/PS2 versions
Old 06-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

IF it was moved back....Madden would crush its sales even more. Thats why it's a month early, especially as of late when madden is the better game.

It should be on a two year cycle like some1 mentioned earlier...
Old 06-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HST
The annual release schedule hasn't proven to be a problem. Seemingly, one year is the perfect amount of time to not animate chain crews, code formation substitutions and basic, minor details of actual college football while pondering buffoonish features that ultimately achieve zero change within the game itself.

'08 to '09 was all the time they needed last year to not have the names of teams painted in the endzones during bowl games. I imagine those silver, generic cups they used instead of painted endzones really pushed the limits of the deadline. Wow. Did you see those cups? Those cups were awesome, man!!! Both endzones had two cups each, all of them identical. They were dazzling, and anyone who disagrees doesn't understand creativity. You see, in reality, all bowls paint the team endzones with the name of each team. EA took a creative gamble and just put those silver cups in there. And boy did it pay off. That's called going the extra mile, the extra step that has defined an entire era of creativity and deeper thought. Once again, just awesome work, fellas.

Apparently one year is barely enough time to not make recognizable changes. Lets not apply even more pressure. If we do that, they might have to remove yard markers and hash marks. The current level of indolence will suffice, thank you.
Pure brillance, nice write up enjoyed it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #16
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Well honestly EA ain't going to change there dates. Unless by some miricle they all of a sudden decied to do it. Because if they do that then they would lose money. The reason they have it come out a month before madden so that it would not kill sales for both them. IF EA moved it up then people would have to choice between the 2. Then that would hurt the sales for both games. I can't see EA changing their date to make it better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »