Home

Slant routes

This is a discussion on Slant routes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Slant routes

The absolutely most insipid argument I can possibly imagine, and one that is constantly used to defend crappy games and crappy gameplay elements: "It's a game. It will never be perfect." Well, no ****, Sherlock! It's an absolute insult to my intelligence to pretend that I expect a game to be "perfect" (whatever the hell that would actually mean) or even close. But do I expect a game, especially one with Tiburon's resources behind it, to be good? Absolutely. And do I hope that it can be great, even? Absolutely. And in fact there have been good and even great football games made in the past.

Have slant routes always been money against normal man coverage in videogames? Absolutely not. To suggest so is either an outright lie, or an ignorant statement coming from someone who hasn't played too many football games.

Are slant routes money in real life against normal man coverage? No. They're one of the more difficult routes to defend, of course, but there are techniques taught to deal with them effectively, and anyone that's watched a good deal of football has seen corners in non-bump man coverage jump slant routes, intercept slant routes, and put themselves in proper position to swat slant routes from just behind the receiver. And yet in the NCAA 10 demo, we have highly rated cornerbacks nonchalantly running two yards behind the receiver every single time. And you can run the routes over and over and over again and see no adjustment from the defense.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

this is some bull crap relying on dline to take away the slant, wtf, come on i dont know what kinda football yall played but stopping the slant shouldnt be that hard. it might be the most run route but cover 2 against is suppose to stop the slant. I just got done playing another game when tebow went 20-22, and 18 of the passes came off slants( i counted). I tried man press, cover 2, bump and run, and nothing worked. The pass defense is a joke, partly b/c of the pass rush and the qb throws almost every pass within 1-2 seconds. One play florida ran all go routes out of a 3 wide set, i was in a nickel cover 3, the receivers ran 50 yds down the field stopped and came back 15 yds for a completed pass, and thats a pass rush lol ok. U can take famus dline and they will get to the qb before that. Im done i hate not being able to play defense.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #19
MVP

TrapStar215's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
IDK about you but CBs have been bumping my WRs and covering the inside pretty good against my slants. Are you using OU?
I'm the same, are you playing on Heisman?
"Okay, here's the story. I come from the gutter. I know that. I got no education... but that's okay. I know the street, and I'm making all the right connections. With the right woman, there's no stopping me. I could go right to the top."

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 37

I think the game is doing a good job re: slants. These are one of the toughest pass formations to cover in football.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

:facepalm:

Keep applauding these pathetic efforts and we'll keep getting subpar games. On Heisman difficulty, Florida cornerbacks (A+ rated defense) are running two full yards behind slants and posts. That is not realistic or anywhere near it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLittleBabies
:facepalm:

Keep applauding these pathetic efforts and we'll keep getting subpar games. On Heisman difficulty, Florida cornerbacks (A+ rated defense) are running two full yards behind slants and posts. That is not realistic or anywhere near it.
An corner in the world wouldn't be able to cover a slant if they were three yards off the WR and didn't bump him and did't shade the inside. Thats what happens in this game unless you modify your defense and make the corners come inside and play bump coverage. Or you can have your LBs play a little wider and inside the WRs.

This isn't NCAA 09 where a 2 year old can pick it up and play. NCAA 10 requires some planning this time around.

― Plato
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLittleBabies
The absolutely most insipid argument I can possibly imagine, and one that is constantly used to defend crappy games and crappy gameplay elements: "It's a game. It will never be perfect." Well, no ****, Sherlock! It's an absolute insult to my intelligence to pretend that I expect a game to be "perfect" (whatever the hell that would actually mean) or even close. But do I expect a game, especially one with Tiburon's resources behind it, to be good? Absolutely. And do I hope that it can be great, even? Absolutely. And in fact there have been good and even great football games made in the past.

Have slant routes always been money against normal man coverage in videogames? Absolutely not. To suggest so is either an outright lie, or an ignorant statement coming from someone who hasn't played too many football games.

Are slant routes money in real life against normal man coverage? No. They're one of the more difficult routes to defend, of course, but there are techniques taught to deal with them effectively, and anyone that's watched a good deal of football has seen corners in non-bump man coverage jump slant routes, intercept slant routes, and put themselves in proper position to swat slant routes from just behind the receiver. And yet in the NCAA 10 demo, we have highly rated cornerbacks nonchalantly running two yards behind the receiver every single time. And you can run the routes over and over and over again and see no adjustment from the defense.
I hope you feel better.

Nobody insulted your intelligence. Everybody is just nitpicking, this isn't the first time they've worked easily is all I'm saying. You don't know how many football games I've played, so you can't make that statement. As a matter of fact, I've been playing NCAA since I was 6 years old.

Then when we have the roster mess along sliders not working, fixing slants is one of the very least things that you should be worried about.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 34

The problem with the slants is pretty simple. Unless I'm missing something, there's no option to shade your coverage.

Look at how the CBS are aligned.

If you are not playing man press, the CB is aligned on the WRs outside shoulder, giving up the inside off the jump. There's no option to shade him on his inside shoulder, or play him chest to chest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »