Home

The Future of the NCAA Series (Part 3)

This is a discussion on The Future of the NCAA Series (Part 3) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 39
The Future of the NCAA Series (Part 3)

In part three of my blog.. The Future of the NCAA Series, I’d like to look at what has been a lack luster mode since NCAA 2007 - Dynasty. I know a lot of people wanted to hear my thoughts on gameplay or the community, but I will save those issues for later since they are of such concern... and are a hot topic with the latest Florida vs OU vid Steve just posted.

So, Dynasty..

It’s the bread and butter of NCAA, the main attraction, and my favorite mode.. but it has been less than stellar in the last few years. Lack of creativity and improvement on existing features have resulted in a very bland taste for the feature. The person who essentially oversees all things dynasty related is Ben Haumiller. With the exception of online dynasty being introduced last year, he and his cohorts have provided us with an empty experience in the past, and it doesn’t look like anything fresh has been added once again.

Let me ask.. where is the spring game, recruiting camps, high school all american games, elite 11 QBs, off season drills, pride stickers, Heisman & award show presentation, and why isn’t national signing day a huge deal? It puzzles me that a secondary feature such as Race for the Heisman receives a massive upgrade over Dynasty, and even includes Erin Andrews. Race for the Heisman is the mode people typically play when they get bored with dynasty, not the other way around.

Looking at all this you may think that they have actually done a lot, but really the majority of these things were either necessary to improve how the CPU played aesthetics. Are we ever going to get something that wows us?

I’ve looked through all the pictures Steve has posted of dynasty, and to be honest nothing but the art has changed. You may say, “But wait, there was a whole blog about Dynasty upgrades.” Yes, you are correct, but was there anything really substantial done to spice up a mode that has been dull for so long? No.

Lets break it down quickly and look at a few things that have been added or adjusted.

Right off the bat its obvious where the art time has gone this year...No, not on finishing stadiums, or adding equipment, but instead on new flashy menus & the school pictures from last year that help distract us from everything that’s missing. Poll logic has apparently been tweaked, but I don’t understand why.. As Kane expressed to me, “The BCS is flawed, so why shouldn’t be like that in the game. Leave it alone.” He makes a great point. So the tweaks to the poll logic remain to be seen.

Recruiting has also received minor changes. There are fewer elite players, not as many fast players, and the CPU will recruit what it actually needs. The worst though has come with the change to how you view the recruits ratings. Instead of simple letters under their information page, a bar graph that you must scroll down to see all the ratings has replaced it. Why was it necessary to change what worked? On top of that 4 and 5 star recruits who appear out of nowhere once the offseason hits. Does anybody realize this does not happen in real life? Recruits ratings can change, but no body is going to just magically appear at the top of the rankings..

The one obvious addition is competitive recruiting, and a very small one at that... How is it that this is all they were able to accomplish in one year? Is this really the best that could be done?

I don’t think it is, and it means that this department needs new blood, and new talent..There is too much potential to just allow it to stay stale. With that said, continue on to my next blog about my vision for revamping NCAA's Dynasty mode... The Future of the NCAA Series Part 4

Last edited by sportzbro; 06-18-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
MVP

Re: The Future of the NCAA Series (Part 3)

This will also be in my blog for later viewing if you are interested
Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
MVP

bump for some face time
Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Rookie

HamTonks's Arena

OVR: 3

TL;DR
Old 06-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamTonks
TL;DR
Yea I figured there were some big words you wouldn't understand..but I posted it anyway. That's ok you gave up after "In part three.."

We can't all be literate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #6
Rookie

HamTonks's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
Yea I figured there were some big words you wouldn't understand..but I posted it anyway. That's ok you gave up after "In part three.."

We can't all be literate.
I have no idea what half of the words you just said mean. I'll go ahead and assume they were all compliments.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamTonks
I have no idea what half of the words you just said mean. I'll go ahead and assume they were all compliments.

ha, i guess we're square then
Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

The thing I hate most about this is the fact is we can all see it but the guys that are supposed to be experts on College Football and design the video game can't see it. The amount of obliviousness (is that a word?) is astounding in this regard.

Maybe they aren't allowed to put certain things in the game, that I can understand. The NCAA is very stingy with their licensing. But I really wish the Dev team for NCAA cared about their product like Ian of Madden does.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »