Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #169
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

I still think the solution is the Olympic Model. The kids aren't paid by the university, but they aren't restricted in how they can make money elsewhere. If Terrelle Pryor wants to sell his gold pants that he got for beating Michigan then he should be able to. If General Mills wants to put a college athlete on the cover of a Wheaties Box then they should be able to. Other students that have full scholarships for other reasons don't have these restrictions placed on them so why should it be any different for athletes.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #170
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I think that's definitely one way to go. I don't see how it's okay that the NCAA can tell kids they aren't allowed to make money. No other student has restrictions on what they do to make money (so long as it is legal). But it's okay to put such restrictions on athletes.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #171
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
I think that's definitely one way to go. I don't see how it's okay that the NCAA can tell kids they aren't allowed to make money. No other student has restrictions on what they do to make money (so long as it is legal). But it's okay to put such restrictions on athletes.
again the argument isn't about not making money, it is about retaining amateur status in the NCAA rules.

best example off the top of my head:
Ricky Williams at Texas, was drafted by the Phillies out of highschool and signed a professional contract with them yet he went to Texas to play for the Longhorns. so in the off-season he played single-A and Double-A ball before giving it up going into his senior year. he had a multimillion dollar deal and lost his amateur status as a baseball player but retained his status as an amateur in football. he could not accept a scholarship but rather had to pay his own way through college. the NCAA has no problem with this, but had he of sold his Texas football jersey than he would have been in violation of his NCAA athletic amateur status.

also, Cedric Benson at Texas did the same thing, signing a pro contract with the Padres out of highschool.

if a student athlete was able to legitimately acquire a high paying job then it would be legal, the problem is that outside of pro-baseball there isn't a job around that pays a high-school grad only able to work part-time to part-part-time very much over minimum wage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #172
All Star

BGarrett7's Arena

OVR: 16

I believe players who sign a professional contract in one sport can still have a scholarship for another. I don't know the details on Ricky or Benson, but I'm fairly certain both were still eligible for a football scholarship.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #173
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGarrett7
I believe players who sign a professional contract in one sport can still have a scholarship for another. I don't know the details on Ricky or Benson, but I'm fairly certain both were still eligible for a football scholarship.
actually you are correct, sorry I made a mistake. they can receive a scholarship to play football.

they can sign an agent for baseball purposes only, they are not to speak about football.

they cannot sign endorsement deals.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »