Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

How many championships would that team have won without those players? lol

They had a high enough SAT/ACT and GPA to get into the school. If they had the ambition to fill out the forms most of these guys would qualify for grants and what not.

I know a lot of guys when I played came from very poor backgrounds and got grants when they were in school.

You have no idea what kinda grades these guys got in high school. So how can you make a comment like that?

I have no idea why you are hating on these guys so much because of this lawsuit.

You know that in my day you could only work so many hours in the SUMMER time and could not make more then a set amount of money. They have since relaxed those rules but still.

You say well don't play, well I am just telling you what they go through just as you did. And you tell me well don't play? lmao
Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #34
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
Yeah but did you put your body on the line every day like they did? In football there is a chance of a career or life alternating event every single time they snap it up...So no your experience is not even close to them unless you worked as a policeman, fireman, etc..

Just to give you an idea of my schedule when I was in school and playing...

Mat drills in the spring from 5am till 7am

School from 8am to around 12pm, lifting from 1pm or so till 3pm, then film work or studying.

In season it was school from 8am till around 12pm, meetings at 1pm till 2:30, 3pm, practice for 2 hours or so, watching film till 8pm at night.

Summer was really the only time we had a break, and even then it was either working out in the morning or afternoon (they split us up) school and then throwing at night time in the stadium where the coaches were not allowed (wink wink)

You guys act like these guys just sit in gold tubs all day long sipping champagne! lol It is hard work year 'round these days.
Let's see. I go to school. I bowl for college. I work at a bowling alley 3 times a week. I've almost broken a hand 3 times fixing equipment. I have to lift heavy objects at work, and have pulled a muscle in my back that would get tweaked any time I moved wrong and didn't heal for 6 months. Odds of me dying at work are probably even with playing football.

Someone I work with lost the tips of 2 of his fingers working on sharpening drill bits. His fault? Yes. But human mistakes happen. Each time I tried to break my hand? Partially my fault. But times when players get hurt, it is their fault. They put their head down to try to get an extra yard or two and get a neck injury.

And yes, I could get a career ending injury playing my sport or working. I bowl with my dad in a league. He had a bone spur in his upper arm, which sawed right through the upper tendon for his biceps. Now he has no more biceps on his left arm.

Please stop acting like football players are the only people who can be injured playing their sport or while at work. It can happen to any of us. I can easily be working on a pin table and have one of the springs snap and have the piece of metal snap up and shatter my forearm. Think that would be life altering to someone who bowls? I could also be walking on the gutter cap in the middle of the lane, trip, and break my ankle in the gutter. That's enough to knock me out of competition for a while.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Yeah but did you put your body on the line every day like they did? In football there is a chance of a career or life alternating event every single time they snap it up...So no your experience is not even close to them unless you worked as a policeman, fireman, etc..

Just to give you an idea of my schedule when I was in school and playing...

Mat drills in the spring from 5am till 7am

School from 8am to around 12pm, lifting from 1pm or so till 3pm, then film work or studying.

In season it was school from 8am till around 12pm, meetings at 1pm till 2:30, 3pm, practice for 2 hours or so, watching film till 8pm at night.

Summer was really the only time we had a break, and even then it was either working out in the morning or afternoon (they split us up) school and then throwing at night time in the stadium where the coaches were not allowed (wink wink)

You guys act like these guys just sit in gold tubs all day long sipping champagne! lol It is hard work year 'round these days.
Quote:
How many championships would that team have won without those players? lol

They had a high enough SAT/ACT and GPA to get into the school. If they had the ambition to fill out the forms most of these guys would qualify for grants and what not.

I know a lot of guys when I played came from very poor backgrounds and got grants when they were in school.

You have no idea what kinda grades these guys got in high school. So how can you make a comment like that?

I have no idea why you are hating on these guys so much because of this lawsuit.

You know that in my day you could only work so many hours in the SUMMER time and could not make more then a set amount of money. They have since relaxed those rules but still.

You say well don't play, well I am just telling you what they go through just as you did. And you tell me well don't play? lmao
It doesn't matter about championships. The argument is about whether they deserve compensation from EA. My argument is that getting an education paid for is compensation.

I think we all know that special accomodations are made for athletes. There are different standards for the people who play sports over the average person. You are deluding yourself if you don't think it is true. Let's see Dexter Manley couldn't even read or write and was somehow playing college football. Yes, there are extremely bright individuals, but they are just as many that would have no shot at getting into that university.

Please stop with the ***** stuff. It is tired and old. I am impressed with the level of dedication, skill, and commitment that it takes to be an athlete at the college or professional level. I stopped playing basketball in my senior year in high school because I didn't have that dedication or the talent. Had I gone onto to get a scholarship. I would have been extremely thankful of the opportunity to get an education while playing my sport. I would not be pursuing a lawsuit over a video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
Wow, some of you guys need to get out of college and live in the real world. I am apart of client engagements that net my company millions of dollars a year, yet I receive a fraction of that. Cry, Cry, Cry...

I am not sympathetic to any of these players. They get a free ride to a university, some of them the premier educational institutions in the world. Alot of these athletes would have no shot at getting into these institutions without athletics. Whether they choose to take advantage of an education is up to them, but don't ask me to feel like they are being exploited.

And don't dare compare academic scholarships as being even remotely the same as an athletic scholarship. My wife received grants and academic scholorships and still had to pay fees, work a job for money, and go to school without the benefit of extra tutoring and priority registrations for classes and god knows what else that boosters give to these people. So Tim Tebow has it alot better playing football than he does going to school on an academic scholarship or whatever someone brought up as an argument. I don't think most people understand how much an education costs, most likely because mom and dad paid for it. My wife and I each paid our own way through school and it cost us six figures to go to state universities in california (which by the way are very inexpensive compared to other state schools).

You guys need a little perspective. Growing up will help.
Ignorance must truly be bliss. Choadler could you go back and read the entire post before you chose to quote parts of it. I didn't compare athletic to academic. I actually said academic instead of athletic ok. A player should have a choice to accept one or the other if it is an option. If you choose not to accept an athletic scholarship then you should be able to accept endorsements or accept endorsements if you pay for your own schooling. What it sounds like to me is that your just one of the bookworms jealous cause i jock has it to easy lol seems like your stuck in high school yet we need perspective lmao.

To jeeves what i said is a base salary for all athletes not dependant on revenue generated by a sport but for all collegiate ncaa athletes such and i think more like a 400 dollar a month stipend. What can of worms would that open. I think that bench players should be compensated because did you forget the commitment it takes going to practice to be a crash test dummy and never seeing the field even though you do make players around you better.

To roggie i resent the fact you say talent is natural born. Athleticism is born not talent or skill. That is honed thru practice and my ceiling in baseball was high enough for me to get a scholarship, football 2. But it was because i worked hard ( i first played basball my junior year in hs) and practiced with my all heart and soul because i wanted to be good( no not anymore because game design in my tru passion now lol) And for a college athlete sports is his job and he earns the scholarship thru hard work from a young age then thru college and it is no free ride at all. I admit i was lazy and thought baseball was boring so i revoked my own scholarship and still remain objective in this argument. And saying you could go D-1 if bowling was a sport is like sayin i could go D-! in videogaming if it was a sport but its not.

p.s. before you talk about how hard bowling is my average is 225 and my dad's is 253 so i know about bowling
Old 07-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
Wow, some of you guys need to get out of college and live in the real world. I am apart of client engagements that net my company millions of dollars a year, yet I receive a fraction of that. Cry, Cry, Cry...

I am not sympathetic to any of these players. They get a free ride to a university, some of them the premier educational institutions in the world. Alot of these athletes would have no shot at getting into these institutions without athletics. Whether they choose to take advantage of an education is up to them, but don't ask me to feel like they are being exploited.

And don't dare compare academic scholarships as being even remotely the same as an athletic scholarship. My wife received grants and academic scholorships and still had to pay fees, work a job for money, and go to school without the benefit of extra tutoring and priority registrations for classes and god knows what else that boosters give to these people. So Tim Tebow has it alot better playing football than he does going to school on an academic scholarship or whatever someone brought up as an argument. I don't think most people understand how much an education costs, most likely because mom and dad paid for it. My wife and I each paid our own way through school and it cost us six figures to go to state universities in california (which by the way are very inexpensive compared to other state schools).

You guys need a little perspective. Growing up will help.

This is the most intelligent post in this entire thread.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #38
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceptiveBlaze
Ignorance must truly be bliss. Choadler could you go back and read the entire post before you chose to quote parts of it. I didn't compare athletic to academic. I actually said academic instead of athletic ok. A player should have a choice to accept one or the other if it is an option. If you choose not to accept an athletic scholarship then you should be able to accept endorsements or accept endorsements if you pay for your own schooling. What it sounds like to me is that your just one of the bookworms jealous cause i jock has it to easy lol seems like your stuck in high school yet we need perspective lmao.

To jeeves what i said is a base salary for all athletes not dependant on revenue generated by a sport but for all collegiate ncaa athletes such and i think more like a 400 dollar a month stipend. What can of worms would that open. I think that bench players should be compensated because did you forget the commitment it takes going to practice to be a crash test dummy and never seeing the field even though you do make players around you better.

To roggie i resent the fact you say talent is natural born. Athleticism is born not talent or skill. That is honed thru practice and my ceiling in baseball was high enough for me to get a scholarship, football 2. But it was because i worked hard ( i first played basball my junior year in hs) and practiced with my all heart and soul because i wanted to be good( no not anymore because game design in my tru passion now lol) And for a college athlete sports is his job and he earns the scholarship thru hard work from a young age then thru college and it is no free ride at all. I admit i was lazy and thought baseball was boring so i revoked my own scholarship and still remain objective in this argument. And saying you could go D-1 if bowling was a sport is like sayin i could go D-! in videogaming if it was a sport but its not.

p.s. before you talk about how hard bowling is my average is 225 and my dad's is 253 so i know about bowling
Yup, you got it...I am still living in my high school days....lol
Still haven't seen any compelling argument from anyone saying why they should be compensated further by the NCAA.

You have a lot of life to live...get back to me when you get there.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceptiveBlaze

253? I'll believe that when I see it. If he's averaging 253, then he needs to be going on the PBA, because they MAYBE average about 250 on a house shot (And I'm talking guys like Walter Ray Williams Jr. and Parker Bohn, not the guys who don't make TV). So don't spew bs to me about bull bowling averages. Highest I've seen is a 240 local, and he bowled professionally for 20 years.

And you realize I played baseball for 10 years, worked my *** off at it nonstop, and still didn't have the talent to play in college? I'm athletic. I just don't have the talent to play baseball even though I worked at it nonstop.

Bowling, on the other hand, I'm naturally good at. Bowled for 2 years, up to a 212 average already. So please, if you don't think talent is natural, you're smoking something. How else do you see an 8 year old kid throwing a football 30-40 yards when he's never picked one up? How do some guys who don't play golf just grab a driver and hit one 275? Want to tell me it isn't natural born talent?

I understand that you must be born with talent AND work at it insanely hard to make it at a top level. But if you think everyone is born equal at sports, then you are sadly mistaken.

Edit: And just to kill your bragging, the highest average in America last year was 251. So please, just stop embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by Roggie; 07-10-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 5

And I continue to argue that their education isn't paid for but rather earned. Just liked you earned money to pay for your education, they are just doing it a different way then what you did.

Their education is not free, it is not paid for like giving candy to a kid.

They work to get that thing and keep it just like the average joe working at the grocery store or you.

And he did not pursue a lawsuit during his career if I read that right. He did so afterwards.

Why be thankful for the opportunity for the scholarship? You worked to get it and EARN it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »