Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #41
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
And I continue to argue that their education isn't paid for but rather earned. Just liked you earned money to pay for your education, they are just doing it a different way then what you did.

Their education is not free, it is not paid for like giving candy to a kid.

They work to get that thing and keep it just like the average joe working at the grocery store or you.

And he did not pursue a lawsuit during his career if I read that right. He did so afterwards.

Why be thankful for the opportunity for the scholarship? You worked to get it and EARN it.
So you're telling us the people that worked for one and didn't get one, when they worked just as hard, should still have to pay? You don't understand something. We understand they worked for it. But why pay them WHEN THEY ARE ESSENTIALLY GETTING PAID ALREADY? Do you not realize what kids would do to get a full ride at a huge university? Kids work their *** off in school, get a 4.0 taking 5 AP classes, and they won't get a full ride at some colleges, but just because you can catch a football, you should get one? Which helps people more? Someone who can do something productive or someone who can entertain people? I love sports more than most, to a point where it's an obsession. But even with that bias I still realize someone who can help do something in a medical field deserves a full ride over a kid who can throw or catch a football.

But I guess getting the equivalent of about 200k+ in 4 years for a teenager/early 20 guy isn't enough. Is greed seriously that pathetic in people these days? Come on. Take your education, get a job that you wouldn't be able to get if you weren't an athlete, and shut up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #42
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
And I continue to argue that their education isn't paid for but rather earned. Just liked you earned money to pay for your education, they are just doing it a different way then what you did.

Their education is not free, it is not paid for like giving candy to a kid.

They work to get that thing and keep it just like the average joe working at the grocery store or you.

And he did not pursue a lawsuit during his career if I read that right. He did so afterwards.

Why be thankful for the opportunity for the scholarship? You worked to get it and EARN it.
It is all semantics. Earned or paid for by playing sports whatever.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 5

So again it is ok for someone to make money off of you? I still haven't had that answered. I have no idea how people can say yes. It would be like stealing one of your images and selling it for money and you see nothing in return.

You act like anyone and everyone who can catch a football gets a FULL ride lol And since when did all schools cost 200K for 4 years? After 6 months to a year all athletes are considered residents and therefor their education cost comes down big time.

Without that football team most schools wouldn't have nice places to study in, or that girls soccer team, etc... Sports programs help in the education field as much or more then any other program the school offers.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
All NCAA athletes are required to sign a release their freshman year that says the NCAA can use their likeness, but if I remember correct, it doesn't say anything about using it for profit for the NCAA or school. I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I signed my release, but I read through all of it and don't remember seeing anything saying that the NCAA or any particular school could profit from your likeness.

I don't know what this would mean for these cases, but it will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out
I think this is an interesting statement, and could be what the whole case hinges on. You say that you signed a release giving the NCAA the right to use your likeness, but it didn't say that they could use it for profit. Did it say that they were NOT allowed to use it for profit? If not then I think this case COULD end up changing how much power the NCAA has over the student Athlete's ability to profit off of the field.
Based on this I see it going one of two ways:

- They could say that Keller gave the NCAA the right to use his likeness, and it doesn't matter if it doesn't say the NCAA can use it for profit, because it doesn't say they can't. CASE DISMISSED.

- They could say that the NCAA has no right to profit off of these athletes when they don't allow the athlete to profit. Then the NCAA would be forced to make a choice, do we allow these students to profit off of there likeness, or do we give up the ability to profit off of their likeness. This could either mean an NCAA game with completely acurate rosters w/ names right out of the box, or an NCAA game with completely generic rosters w/ no EA locker to share roster changes.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #45
MVP

Roggie's Arena

Quote:
So again it is ok for someone to make money off of you? I still haven't had that answered. I have no idea how people can say yes. It would be like stealing one of your images and selling it for money and you see nothing in return.

You act like anyone and everyone who can catch a football gets a FULL ride lol And since when did all schools cost 200K for 4 years? After 6 months to a year all athletes are considered residents and therefor their education cost comes down big time.

Without that football team most schools wouldn't have nice places to study in, or that girls soccer team, etc... Sports programs help in the education field as much or more then any other program the school offers.
And you think they would go to the out of state college if they didn't have that scholarship? Not a chance. So really, it does add up to that much if you think about it.

Also, since they make money off of them, should I be reimbursed by my work because I get friends to come bowl there? I don't feel that way at all. But without me, they would not be going bowling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 6

Do you not realize what kids would do to get a full ride at a huge university? Kids work their *** off in school, get a 4.0 taking 5 AP classes, and they won't get a full ride at some colleges, but just because you can catch a football, you should get one? Which helps people more?

Roggie your true colors are showing but i will give you that i did lie lol my dad's average is 235 and mine 215 ok i embellished but my dad is in prison if you must know why he isn't bowling. That line there is what this entire thread is about. It is about jealousy period awww my grades are more important in the world who cares that is not what this is about its about whether it should be ok for then to be compensated and if you think they don't deserve a stipend then your just a *****

O and to choadler yea i have so much growing up to do and alot more to see going to rome, japan, england, africa means nothing right the truth is you know nothing about me at all but yet you know what ive done right. i laugh at you hahahahahah lol
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #47
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

If you read back, I indicated that my company makes millions of dollars off of me. We are not selling a product or a good. We are selling my service to the client. Whether or not they come back to my company is mostly based on the level of service I give them. The company is making money off my expertise and ability to retain the client.

I think you would be surprised how much school costs. Tuition and books are just a small part of the equation. Dorm fees, meal plans can drive costs up to $20k or possibly more a year for school depending on where you go and what the different tuition rates are for a state. Again I went to school in California where state school tuition is relatively cheap and it still cost me mid five figures. My wife went through UC system where fees are higher.

And as far as football earning a lot of money. I think you will find that very few schools report a PROFIT from having a football program. Remember the state and TAXPAYERS supplement tuition fees for everyone that goes there. In the Cal State system, I only paid for 10% of the tuition costs, while the state picked up 90% of the cost of attending the school.

Football programs in and of themselves do not entirely pay for the scholarships of these students. It might pay for the equipment, the facilities, travel and such, but probably does account for the education.

Last edited by choadler; 07-10-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #48
MVP

Roggie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceptiveBlaze
Do you not realize what kids would do to get a full ride at a huge university? Kids work their *** off in school, get a 4.0 taking 5 AP classes, and they won't get a full ride at some colleges, but just because you can catch a football, you should get one? Which helps people more?

Roggie your true colors are showing but i will give you that i did lie lol my dad's average is 235 and mine 215 ok i embellished but my dad is in prison if you must know why he isn't bowling. That line there is what this entire thread is about. It is about jealousy period awww my grades are more important in the world who cares that is not what this is about its about whether it should be ok for then to be compensated and if you think they don't deserve a stipend then your just a *****

O and to choadler yea i have so much growing up to do and alot more to see going to rome, japan, england, africa means nothing right the truth is you know nothing about me at all but yet you know what ive done right. i laugh at you hahahahahah lol
I don't have a 4.0. I didn't take AP classes. I'm just saying I'm more impressed by those people than those who get a full ride for playing a sport. But I was also using that to help counter the argument about working for it. They work just as hard for their grades as an athlete does at his sport.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »