Home

We Must Demand Better (A Patches discussion)

This is a discussion on We Must Demand Better (A Patches discussion) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #73
Pro

OVR: 16
Re: We Must Demand Better (A Patches discussion)

Umm, wow. A thread about how some poster thinks games would be better without patches, because the devs would make games better if there were no patches turns into a 7 or 8 page thread? Yikes

Anyway, most of the bugs that are in games arent caught by the devs and fixed, becasue the testers dont really play enough of the game, or the testers are too dumb to realize a flaw in the game.

Anyway, all games need patches. Theres no way a game wont need a patch. There hasnt ever been a perfect game that didnt need a patch. But games became perfect after a few patches, see College Hoops 2k8. After all the patches it was and still is, hands down, the best game I've ever played.

But there were some great games on N64, though they all had at least 1 flaw. My favorite N64 game is Starfox 64, or what ever it was called. I miss playing that game...

If the OP was trying to say "remember when there were no patches for games?", then yeah I can remember that.

But, if the OP was trying to say what he typed, then he is a bobo, lol. No offense.

NCAAB: Cincinnati Bearcats
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: New York Knicks

"Those Who Stay Will Be CHAMPIONS"-Bo Schembechler-R.I.P.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #74
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks26ngoin
Umm, wow. A thread about how some poster thinks games would be better without patches, because the devs would make games better if there were no patches turns into a 7 or 8 page thread? Yikes

Anyway, most of the bugs that are in games arent caught by the devs and fixed, becasue the testers dont really play enough of the game, or the testers are too dumb to realize a flaw in the game.

Anyway, all games need patches. Theres no way a game wont need a patch. There hasnt ever been a perfect game that didnt need a patch. But games became perfect after a few patches, see College Hoops 2k8. After all the patches it was and still is, hands down, the best game I've ever played.

But there were some great games on N64, though they all had at least 1 flaw. My favorite N64 game is Starfox 64, or what ever it was called. I miss playing that game...

If the OP was trying to say "remember when there were no patches for games?", then yeah I can remember that.

But, if the OP was trying to say what he typed, then he is a bobo, lol. No offense.
If you read for understanding and followed the thread all the way through, you would understand that I was not dissing patches. I was only saying we deserved a better product fresh out the box. CH2K8 was far better out the box than NCAA 10. CH2K8 is the greatest CH game of All-Time.

Read before you respond...esp when you try to make sly remarks lol
Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
If you read for understanding and followed the thread all the way through, you would understand that I was not dissing patches. I was only saying we deserved a better product fresh out the box. CH2K8 was far better out the box than NCAA 10. CH2K8 is the greatest CH game of All-Time.

Read before you respond...esp when you try to make sly remarks lol
Wrong. CH2K8 is the greatest game of all time. Show me a better game. CH2K8 had no bugs after the patches. NFL 2K5 was a great game, but it had some bugs that annoyed the crap out of me.

NCAAB: Cincinnati Bearcats
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: New York Knicks

"Those Who Stay Will Be CHAMPIONS"-Bo Schembechler-R.I.P.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #76
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7

Alright yea this game wasn't great out of the box but didn't EA get on top of things and release a patch on the second day (for PS3 users). Xbox 360 users only have to wait because Microsoft hadn't approved the patch yet.

I am just kind of shocked that the OP says he thinks this game is a big improvement yet he thinks we should Demand Better. Isn't that what we ask for an improvement over last years game? I know that is all I ask for from EA.

Anyways I don't think anyone can argue that we would all love games to be perfect out of the box but considering no game will be perfect without the masses playing and finding all the little bugs that get over looked.

Here is my Idea for next year- How about EA sends OS users a copy (obviously we buy it) of the game, a few weeks before the release, to play and write to them the problems we found. Kind of like Community Day for Madden but with the final copy. That way they will be able to create a patch early and have it ready to download when people pop it in. Not sure how this would fly with the company but I feel it could help them out.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #77
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I cannot understand the mentality that the ability to patch games is bad. Totally boggles my mind.
well that's because they don't realize that ms and apple patch there os all the time its part of the computer world. people don't pay attention to it because it happens when they are not on their computer
Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #78
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy316
Alright yea this game wasn't great out of the box but didn't EA get on top of things and release a patch on the second day (for PS3 users). Xbox 360 users only have to wait because Microsoft hadn't approved the patch yet.
They did get on it quick, but the mere fact that they had the patch to Sony and Microsoft on or before "release" day for the retail game shows exactly what I'm concerned about--that they are using the patch system as another routine part of the development cycle, not as a vehicle for adding or fixing stuff that comes out later. It's still depriving me of a patched game until MS releases the download, and again, it's using up one of the two patches allowed for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy316
I am just kind of shocked that the OP says he thinks this game is a big improvement yet he thinks we should Demand Better. Isn't that what we ask for an improvement over last years game? I know that is all I ask for from EA.
Many people thought that last year's game was broken to the point of being unplayable. Personally, I had a lot of fun with 09, but the fact remains that this franchise still hasn't moved very far beyond where it was in the Xbox/PS2 generation--and in fact, in many ways it has regressed since those glory days. So this year's game can be an improvement over last year, but it's still about where I think it should have been in '08. You can still say that it's overall a better game than '09 but still lament that it shipped with broken sliders, for instance. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #79
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

I just thought of yet another reason that developers counting on patches to fix problems they already know about is a problem. We keep hearing that the short development cycle of making an annually-released game is one culprit here; the dev team just doesn't have time to fix, add, and polish everything between installments. But if they rely on patches as part of the process, it shortens the cycle even further--if they spend two months after release writing a patch for this year;'s game, it takes away time they could be using to make next year's game even better. So now they really only have 10 months to make a game that they should have a full year to work on.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLawNYC
I just thought of yet another reason that developers counting on patches to fix problems they already know about is a problem. We keep hearing that the short development cycle of making an annually-released game is one culprit here; the dev team just doesn't have time to fix, add, and polish everything between installments. But if they rely on patches as part of the process, it shortens the cycle even further--if they spend two months after release writing a patch for this year;'s game, it takes away time they could be using to make next year's game even better. So now they really only have 10 months to make a game that they should have a full year to work on.
i think EA is abusing the patches system as well. there no other football game to make them not abuse it. IMO

EASY, BREEZY, BEAUTIFUL, COVERGIRL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »